9: Convinced

They sat still on the bench for what felt like ages, a tense atmosphere between the two of them. Chapa kicked on the gravel with her head down, grabbing the bag and swinging the sweets back and forth between her knees.

Every time the wind blew the cold air would waft the smell of the freshly popped popcorn and the sugary sweet cotton candy their way. Her stomach turned.

She understood they were short on time as they spent most of the night frolicking around the fair. They put little to no thought moving forward with their mission. She tried to concentrate on the plan but her mind kept wandering.

Whenever Chapa gets angry or thinks of something exciting, lighting follows. Just like Mika, her ability is driven by emotion. This, whatever it was- was new. And she couldn't stop thinking about it.

Bose looked at Chapa, deep in thought.
"We've been sitting in silence for like 10 minutes, You got anything?"
Chapa lifted her chin slightly, "No... Um- let's just, let's try the usual, you know?"
"No. I don't know." Bose responded, "What's the usual?"
Chapa took a breath and straightened her back. "What all couples end up breaking up for?"
Bose sighed and raised his eyebrows. "Ahhh- So are you the two timer or am I?"

Chapa cracked a smile, the mere thought of her being the jealous type never crossed her mind. She was angry and sometimes difficult but she was too confident in herself to ever be envious of someone else. "Wouldn't that ruin Brainstorm's reputation? The city's darling- A two-timer?"

Bose caught himself giggling for some odd reason, maybe it was the way Chapa seemed concerned for his well being. He thought about how careless she always seemed to be, and how that was a trait he wished he had. He turned to Chapa,"And would that make sense! For Brainstorm to cheat on a girl like you?"

"A girl like me?" Chapa raised her brows. She could feel the air around her turn hot suddenly. She questioned if "A girl like you" was a good thing or a bad thing- Did she seem wanted or feared? She liked being feared. Being wanted was different. Something she's barely experienced.

Bose didn't quite make sense of what he said. He could never imagine Chapa as the type of girl to be cheated on and he also didn't see a reason why someone would. "Oh like, you're not the type to be cheated on. I-I don't know." He noticed the blush on her face. He wished for a wave of air to cool his face as he felt the heat rise to his cheeks.

Chapa tried her best to look away, diverting her attention to the plastic bag ruffling in the space between her shoes. She took a breath, "Well looks like I'm the type today!" She stood up confidently. "Let's do it, we're wasting time."

Bose looked up at her, still sitting on the bench. Chapa's back facing him. Relieved that she wouldn't be able to see his cheeks the color of rubies "What do we do after? Go straight to the dumpster so Miles can pick us up?"

Chapa started scanning the area. "No. It would be too obvious something's off if we walk in the same direction." Chapa turned around nodding, "We split up and meet by the dumpsters in 5 minutes after the ordeal and call Miles once we're both there."

"Sounds like a pla-" Bose felt two hands shove his right arm and push him off the bench onto the ground.
"HOW DARE YOU!?" Started Chapa. The hum of hundreds of gasps surrounded the two. People started to gather with their eyes open and hands over their mouth in shock. He looked around, puzzled- not knowing what to say. He thought he would have more time to think of something. Clearly Chapa's the type to just go at what she needs to do. He looked at her, her eyes wide and eyebrows furrowed in rage. She raised a brow at him signaling him to keep it going. He froze, unable to find the right words.

"AND TO THINK, THIS WHOLE TIME YOU TOLD ME YOU WERE JUST FRIENDS!" Another wave of gasps followed. This time, more than half the crowd had their phones on, all aiming at them. He looked around pleased to receive the attention they so desperately needed to keep their secret.

"I- I didn't mean to?" Bose started dusting himself off.

"OH, YOU DIDN'T MEAN TO? Two timing is not something that happens on accident, you either go out or don't." Chapa responded in a monotone voice, angry and raspy, but loud enough so everyone can hear.

"I-" Bose started, standing back on his feet.

"Did you, go out with her. Or Not? Chapa's face dropped.

Bose tried to reach out for her, he's watched a couple scenarios where this happens and played it along that way.  "It's all a big misunderstanding, I can explain-"

"You know what, I don't want to hear it! After everything we've been through and I've done for you..." As Chapa continued the ruse that went on for a couple minutes, Bose struggled to contain his smile. He couldn't imagine a single thing that Chapa was not able to do. She was really coming through with this performance. Bose knew once they got home, their secret identities would stay secret. And it was all thanks to Chapa.

Suddenly a wave of silence hit as Chapa's face turned sour, "And with that, take your stupid bracelet. People deserve to see what kind of person Brainstorm really is." Chapa took off the bracelet, threw it at Bose and stormed off into the crowd. Bose had transformed into Brainstorm in a flash.

The crowd went wild with shock and disbelief. The majority of them turning their attention to each other and their phones. They had just witnessed something grand. This was Brainstorm's chance. Run. He thought, he picked up the bracelet and faded into the crowd.

Bose made sure he wasn't being followed into a dark area so he could transform back to his usual Bose self. He still had 5 minutes before meeting at the rendezvous point he and Chapa talked about. He transformed and started walking through the fair as if it's a usual night. As he was walking, he heard whispers and chatter of those around him talking about the event him and Chapa pulled. He looked down at his phone and 5 minutes had passed.

Chapa waited by the dumpster, arms crossed and elbows tucked, the night getting colder by the second. She saw Bose's silhouette nearing her. "Hey! I called for Miles already, says he's a little busy using the toilet so it's gonna be another minute."

"Oh... You called Miles? A little more information than I needed but thank you... You were amazing out there by the way." Bose responded.

Chapa nodded, catching his eyes as she wore a worried look. "Mhh... Thank you. Do you think they were convinced?"

"Trust me. They were convinced." Bose said.

—————————
END OF CHAPTER 9
—————————
Super sorry for the big gap in this update, I hope you all enjoyed it! I will try to update weekly.