First Day

"You look cute, boo. These hoes gone hate you Fasho." Lisha said as she drove Jared and I to school.

"And that's a good thing?" I asked, turning my attention from the window to her.

She rolled her eyes peeking at me threw the rear view mirror. "You have so much to learn. Baby if they not hating then you ain't doing something right." I nodded pretending to understand her logic.

"Stop teaching my sister all that Thotry. Got her going to school looking cute and shit making my job harder. Let a nigga even think he gone shoot off at baby sis..." He trailed off looking down and typing on his phone. I received a message.

My 🅱RODY| My Shoota ❤️🔫: GM baby sis u look nice this mornin 😢😘

🌍💚: love you 😘

"What's gone happen?" Lisha asked. He looked up, confused.

"What's gone happen what?" He asked looking at her like she was out of it. I laughed, Jared really has short term memory.

"If a nigga think he gone shoot off dum dum." She said.

"Ohhhh..." He chuckled and unzipped his back pack revealing a handgun he pulled it out. "One to the dome, that thought gone." He tucked the gun in his waistband and pulled his school shirt over it.

"Oh yeah?" Lisha asks toying with him.

"Straight like that! Ain't no pressure on no charge for my lil sister. That's my baby I'm going to war with anybody over that one." The love that you have for your siblings is so real. Especially if you only have each other in the short time that I've been around my big brother plus the vague memories from long ago I love him to the moon and back. He all I got, that's my everything.

Lisha stopped us by Sonic per my request for a bite to eat before school. I got 2 breakfast burritos, tater tots and a large strawberry lemonade slush. Yummy! I can't wait to start school. I decided that I'm not going to let my past interfere with my future. I'm going to reinvent myself instead of flying under the radar I'm going to get involved.

"I've been thinking about cheering." I said as we ate. They both turned and looked at me.

"Really?" Lisha asked with excitement dancing around in her eyes. I nodded.

"Oh shit." Jared mumbles. "Why me?!" Lisha punched his arm. "Tink why you gotta make my job hard, kid? You suppose to go to school get good grades and go home and watch Love and Hip Hop or some shit. Now you wanna cheer? It's already gone be hard enough cause you pretty now you wanna wear skirts and do splits?" He just shook his head going "Ugh" ever so often.

"Shut up Jared. Don't listen to him Tink, you pretty you gone make friends. Go for it, don't just go to school be apart of the school. You already gone stand out cause you carry yourself different. Mark my words everybody bout to be on you lil mama." Jared just shook his head.

"I need more fucking bullets." He goes. "Let's just not talk." He turned up the radio as we headed for school.

"That's a lot of school." I said gasping as we pulled up to Central High. The parking lot was filled as students flooded the school. Lisha had to drive all the way around and drop us off at the front doors.

"Be good J and Tink have a good day." She said I nodded closing the door and tucking a loose strand of hair. It's so weird having hair this long and it feels so real. I pulled the top up into a bun and waved bye as Lisha drove off.

"Come on Tink." J said. I followed him into the over crowded school people were actually watching us walk in. I diverted my eyes to anything other than the many curios eyes. I could sense Jared getting agitated, I looped my arm into his as we walked. "You good?" He asked, I nodded taking a sip from my Sonic cup. He grabbed the door to the main office and waited for me to walk in. He sighed. "Mane folks so damn nosey." I nodded agreeing with him. I'm not quick to catch an attitude but these people just blatantly stared a hole in my face. I sat my notebook in Jared's lap and stood in line at the front desk.