Chapter 1

"I cannot believe our two year old's made us do this," I complain, throwing my bag onto the ground. The cabin that we were staying in was small and cold, but the twins seemed to like it. Daniel smirks.

"It might not be that bad". I roll my eyes at him and start to look around.

"Do we only have a wood heater? We are going to freeze to death" I groan. Daniel shrugs. I look through the rooms. I find the girls in their room. It has two single beds in it.

"Do you like your room?" I say, sitting down on the ground. Faith comes and jumps into my lap. 

"Where's daddy?" she asks.

"He's just out there" I reply, kissing her forehead. Violet gets up and runs out.

"Let's go follow your sissy" I say getting up. I put Faith on my hip and go out.

"Their room doesn't have a heater, did you bring the portable one?" I ask Daniel.

"Oops, I knew I forgot something," he says, picking up Violet and spinning her around. Violet giggles as he kisses her head. I roll my eyes and put Faith on the ground.

"Girls, do you want to take your bags to your room?" I say.

"Ok mummy" Faith replies. Daniel puts Violet down and they grab their little bags and drag them to their room. I cross my arms and stare down Daniel.

"What?" he laughs. I shake my head.

"Let's start off with the fact that it is the middle of winter and you chose to stay in a cabin, in the middle of nowhere and there are only 2 bedrooms and 1 electronic heater". Daniel shrugs and smirks.

"Maybe you should have booked somewhere" he says walking past me.

"Yeah I should've" I mumble. I throw my bag onto the couch and unload my pillow and blanket. 

"What are you doing?" he asks, coming back from the other room.

"I'm not sleeping with you" I scoff.

"But it could be just like the good old days Em" he says, trying to put his hands around me. Faith and Violet come out of their room and giggle.

"Piss off" I mime to him. The girls run off again. I shove Daniels arms away.

"I'm sleeping on the couch".

"Ok whatever, I'm taking the girls out in the snow" he says, sassily walking to their room. I roll my eyes and walk over to the kitchen to prepare some food.

------------------------------------

"Mommy I can't walk properly" Violet says coming out of her room in her winter clothes. I bend down and look at her shoes. I sigh.

"That's because Daddy put your shoes on the wrong way". I lift her up and sit her on the kitchen counter.

"Mummy my feet" Faith complains, coming out of her room as well.

"Faith I haven't done up your coat yet" I hear Daniel chase her down the hallway. I quickly pick her up too and sit her next to Violet.

"Did you purposely do this?" I ask Daniel who is somehow out of breath. I take Violet's shoes off and switch them around.

"Do...what?" he pants.

"Put their shoes on the wrong way" I reply, switching Faith's shoes around also.

"Sorry about...that" he says catching his breath. I finish doing up Faith's coat and sit them both back down on the ground.

"Did you pack their beanies?" I ask Daniel. Daniel looks at me and smiles. I roll my eyes.

"Why were they at your place before this, how many things did you forget?". I go over to my case and pull out two beanies.

"You're lucky I remembered some things" I say, putting on their beanies and kissing their cheeks.

"Have fun girls" I say as they head for the door.

"What about me?" Daniel smirks, leaning his cheek in.

"I'll slap your cheek if you don't piss off" I sarcastically smile and walk back to the kitchen. 

"Someone is moody," he mumbles. He opens the door and takes the girls out in the snow.

It wasn't the first time they had played in the snow but their reactions as they first stepped foot in it didn't change. They slept the entire drive here so they didn't see the snow to begin with. It also made things more awkward between Daniel and I. I watch them play around in the snow while I cook dinner. The girls looked so happy, so did Daniel. Is us being separated taking a toll on them? I mean they haven't known it any other way, we were divorced before they were born.

I think it's just hard swapping houses each week, they hate it and cry all the way home for both of us. We've both brung up the idea of living near or with each other, for them but we both know it was never going to work, especially because I originally had Aiden living with me and he had Sara.