Chapter 28

Glances were exchanged by the three underground leaders before Marcus cleared his throat. "So, you're an angel," he said with obvious hesitation.

Evelyn gave a weak smile, then reverted to her angelic form, filling out her outfit with strengthened muscle as her hair became streaked with blue. "Yeah, I am. Specifically, I'm-"

"You're a Valkyrie," Kane said, cutting her off as he blatantly stared at her. Even with his flat tone his surprise was evident.

"Not my fault you assumed I was a nobody," Evelyn said back, her smile turning wolfish. "Glad to see I got something past you."

"Hold up, what's a Valkyrie, is that a type of angel?" Marcus asked, eyes bouncing back and forth between Kane and Evelyn. He may have had a shred of divinity in him, making him an enforcer, but he had never been a soldier for the angels and had never been privy to any knowledge about their chain of command.

"It is," Ruhden said as he leaned back in his chair. "An angel's potential is typically a mix between their parents, but Valkyries are something special even for angelic standards. Their potential is always great, and they always control an element instead of the more generic ability of power manipulation."

"Right," Evelyn said with a nod. "We're also always women, there has never been a male angel with an elemental power. A lot of the time, a Valkyrie will become a Seraphim of a god-king, and either be turned wife or concubine because of it. That isn't really important though, I never reached that stage when I was running with the god-kings. From what I remember, I was still in training when I left."

Ruhden leaned back forward, settling his arms on the table. "From what you can remember?"

Evelyn grimaced. "Right. A long time ago I got hurt pretty bad, like Kane but not as severe. I remember everything after, but it did fracture my memories pretty badly before then."

The three leaders shifted their focus to Kane, who only shrugged at their unspoken question. "I get a sense of deja vu a lot but to my knowledge, I don't have any gaps." He then glanced at the small girl besides him, his head tilting slightly as he looked at her.

Amelia flushed red as their attention shifted to her but then nodded to everyone. "It is very possible to become disconnected with your memories after suffering a soul-wound, although rare. If that happens, typically there would be a lot more damage than what Evelyn has... but definitely not impossible! Especially if it's been some time. So long as one survives, your soul will naturally recover from anything over time." She then shifted her gaze back to Kane. "It would take longer for more severe injuries."

The three on the other side of the table nodded in understanding, then was interrupted when Azmal cleared his throat and captured the attention of the room. Setting his cup of tea down, he gave a warm smile to Evelyn. "In any case, Evelyn is a trusted member of this group, we shouldn't forget that. We are not here to question her story, but to listen to it."

"Right, right," Ruhden said with a wave of his hand, "curious, is all. Please continue, Evelyn."

Evelyn smiled back at Ruhden and gave a curt nod of acknowledgment to Azmal. "So, a lot is pretty hazy, but I grew up in one of the southern cities, I remember it almost always being warm and how that was in contrast to my affinity for ice," she said, raising her hand and letting a frozen mist glitter above her palm before letting it fade. "I only remember living in a palace, so I was either identified as a Valkyrie at a very young age or born to an angel under the direct service of the god-king. I can't say with certainty who that god-king was, but I'm pretty sure it was god-king Typhon."

"Typhon? He's rumored to be the strongest god-king there is, among the Origin." Azmal mused to the group. "Impressive, if you escaped him."

"Typhon is the strongest? What makes you think you served under him?" Marcus asked "And how did you get away?"

Story of KingsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara