Chapter 14

Kane strolled down the moon lit alleyway, frost coating the cobblestone path of the back passage. His patience paid off, it seemed that once they learned they had endangered his wife the Black Underground had immediately begun working to right the mistake. For the entire day they had operatives out on the city streets, finding out all they could. Ordered by Evelyn.

Reaching into his pocket Kane wrapped his fingers around his bandana. Wearing it religiously like he did it would certainly be something the angels and enforcers would keep an eye out for so to avoid detection he had removed it and stuffed it into his pocket. Ruhden had also given him a different coat to wear, long coats like his weren't common so it served as another staple of his. Instead, he wore a black, wool peacoat, buttoned up to ward off the cold. He did well enough against the cold on his own, but everything was just for appearances anyways. At least the coat was along his style.

To complete his disguise Kane also donned a pair of black gloves as well as a pair of fake glasses, his hair allowed to fall in front of his face over its usual state of being brushed to the side. Ruhden had grinned in satisfaction when Kane had his look altered, confident he wouldn't be spotted.

"What use is this really going to be?" Kane had asked while he and Ruhden were still in his office. "An angel with my scent isn't going to be fooled by this."

"True," Ruhden had said back. "But not every angel is going to know your scent."

Kane had simply shrugged back; he had known the truth of that before he had asked his question. Kane just didn't like forgoing his own coat, or bandana, didn't like pretending to be someone else. Tonight was a good night, though, Kane thought. Felt good. It had been so long since he had taken any real action against the angels, he had forgotten what it had been like, even if it was different from when he had been with the Sentry. To Kane, it didn't matter if he was stalking through trees or through streets; hunting angels was hunting angels.

Ruhden had explained his thinking and plan to Kane in his little office. "When Evelyn had explained to us that you had a wife and that she had gotten taken we knew we had a problem. Not only does leaving her in the hands of the angels threaten you, indirectly endangering us, but we also figured we were at risk anyways. We had been watching you and your house for some time as well as inquiring about you. With the angels now hunting you we figured there would be a decent chance people would bring up that we had been looking into you, get enough people mentioning that and it could give Zuan an idea that there is an organized rebel movement hidden in his city. Not to mention it was our fault things got so messed up anyways, least we could do is to help you get her back."

"And how do you intend on doing that?" Kane asked him, his tone calm but with a fierce look in his eyes. He cared little for the explanation.

"I've talked with Azmal, our spymaster. The angel that you assaulted was Archangel Rahatiel Akriel, the head of this district's Angel barracks. He was also the one who located your house and was seen leaving with your wife shortly after. He's also one of god-king Zuan's most trusted angels, outside of his Seraphs of course. Apparently, Azmal's spies lost track of them, which is a first, but it's assumed the Archangel took her back to the barracks as neither have been seen since." Ruhden then pulled out three reports and handed them to Kane. "These are descriptions of Rahatiel's Thrones, all three of these angels have been roaming the streets since they took your wife, presumably looking for you while their master questions your wife." The old elf grimaced at Kane, "something I'm sure is hard to hear but nothing you wouldn't have guessed." He only received a nod in return. "Our plan is simple, and with you, very doable. You, Marcus, a small team he selects as backup, and I will go out tonight. I'll take to the main streets to look for the angels while you shadow from back alleyways, I'll flip my jacket to you to signal a target. Marcus and his team will be out ahead of us spread all throughout the district. They will be able to direct us to where the angels were last seen as well as offer us extraction if we need to pull out."