Chapter 22

Evelyn sat at a table a small ways off from where everyone was rushing about, her elbow resting on the table with her head in her hands. Her fingers combed through her golden hair in frustration; she should probably be helping in the search, but her frustration and stress pressed down on her. They probably had enough people looking, anyway. Their resistance was still covert and too many people out and about after what happened wasn't a good idea. Azmal's damned birds could handle the surface, gods damn him. She still needed to find him but in her current state, Evelyn would most likely rip his head off. Literally.

"So, she's a healer," Marcus said. Evelyn had noted his approach, as quiet as it had been. He stood in silence for a few seconds before speaking.

"Yeah, she is," was all Evelyn offered in reply, hoping he would get the hint and leave. He didn't.

"How did you come across her?" He asked as he took a seat. Conversation it was, Evelyn would have to manage.

"I didn't," she said back honestly. "She found me. Noticed I was injured and came up to heal me."

Marcus' eyes flickered over her form but couldn't sight any blood or sign of injury. Sitting down with a small sigh, he looked Evelyn in the eye. "So you found her in an angel compound."

Evelyn furrowed her brow, she had intended to tell everyone where she had rescued Amelia from but she hadn't expected anyone to piece it together so quickly. "Yeah, I got her through some empty rooms and through the streets with all the confusion, but how did you figure it out so fast? That she was from an angel compound."

Marcus tossed his head back in a normal physical tick of his. "Wasn't difficult, unless you mean to tell me you would sneak someone you're rescuing into an angel compound. I also got the sense she is a trained healer, not many places you're going to find one of them. I'm guessing she is from the angle barracks in this district? Why did you go there? Even if there was a distraction, that's one hell of a risk."

"I forget how clever you can be, Marcus. Maybe you should use that head of yours more often," Evelyn said with a teasing, half smile before her mood brought her back to a more serious expression. "But I know it was. I just feel really guilty for everything with Kane, what happened with his wife. I was trying to do some scouting, keep up on angel patrols and what not when I ended up getting pretty close to the barracks, spying where they kept guards posted. My heart froze when that alarm went off but when they rushed off in the opposite direction, I don't know, it seemed like a golden opportunity. The barracks was empty, when else would we ever get a chance to get someone out?"

Marcus nodded along in silence. "I get where you're coming from. I don't know if I would've done the same thing, but it would be tempting for sure, so I don't fault you for taking advantage of the situation. But don't you think it might look like an orchestrated plan, even to angels? That's probably the most classic jail-break tactic there is."

"Maybe," Evelyn said with a shrug. "But it would also look like a desperate, capable man with unknown abilities getting his wife back. I don't know what Kane did to escape but the runner who found him said he was coming from the park entrance, the angels are probably still up there surrounding the park, tearing it apart looking for him. Wouldn't they be more likely to think that he somehow doubled back without them realizing and searched the barracks himself?"

"I would buy it," Marcus admitted, but then turned on her. "You wouldn't have known that, though."

"I wouldn't?" Evelyn fired back, meeting the challenge in his gaze. "Do you know of anyone else besides Kane who could get the angels to use one of their red signals? Anything threatening enough to do that is going to get the blame, anyway. I saw that light and knew no angel or god-king would suspect humans at all."