Chapter 12

Evelyn withdrew her aura from the material as she made her way down the long corridor, letting the air around her return to its natural temperature. She needed to get out of there as fast as she could and avoid as many interactions as possible. Lying to a single angel was already difficult, never mind to an entire compound of them, if she could get past Ridwad, though, she could make it. So long as she could find a way into their dungeons and torture chambers.

At the end of the hall two angels stood guarding large, wooden, double doors. Unlike the angels in the pavilion, they wore armor, on duty and at the side of their Archangel. Thrones, for sure, powerful angels at the bottom rungs of the high class. Even with their status as guard dogs they were highly respected.

As she came near the eyes of the two Thrones locked onto her, their gazes far more intense than the two that had been out front at the gates of the compound. These two would not be impressed by her, though she knew better than to attempt to open the double doors before her on her own. Her memories may have been old and fragmented, and far between, but she hadn't yet forgotten about Angel Gates. The gate at the entrance to the compound was for any angel to access, the one before her was specifically for Archangel Ridwad and no angel but him or one of his high class was going to be able to open it.

Evelyn came to a stop before the doors, the Thrones tracked her every breath but remained motionless. She didn't give doubt even a moment to wiggle into her mind before affirmatively knocked on the door. "The god-king sends a Valkyrie," she declared loudly, choosing her words specifically to avoid a lie.

The doors lock clicked open, and a voice rumbled from within, "enter."

Turning the handle Evelyn entered Archangel Ridwad's chambers. The first room was set up as an office. Ridwad sat behind a large, oak desk that hid his lower half, the legs and edges ornately carved. As she approached, she noticed a stack of papers on his desk off to the side neatly organized, one piece of paper in front of him with a quill placed to the side.

Evelyn bowed her head to him and lowered her eyes. "I am Evelyn Rezhal, Valkyrie. I have completed my mentorship and have been given orders to report to an angel barrack of my choice."

Archangel Ridwad inclined his head. "And you have chosen this barracks?"

"I deemed it ideal." An ideal location they would imprison Cas. "These barracks provide more opportunity between yourself and Archangel Rahatiel Akriel to prove myself."

Ridwad's brow rose at her bold words and the honesty behind them. "Rahatiel and I are among the oldest in Zuan's service as well as the hardest to please. Being sent here would be viewed as a punishment, this is well known."

Evelyn nodded, "it is, which makes this barracks the perfect choice. Receiving recommendation here would carry extra weight. Training to be a Valkyrie was not easy, I view it as a waste to take the lesser path now."

"I see," the Archangel said back as he inclined his head to her, a mark of respect. "I assume you've heard the recent news in our district, as well. A deciding factor?"

"The work certainly gave me initiative." The Archangel inspected her, he was barely breathing but she knew he still registered her scent, could smell the nervousness on her. Her honesty, too. She had been careful not to lie.

A cord of power between Ridwad and one of the Thrones was suddenly snapped taunt, the angel promptly entering the room as the Archangel withdrew a large ledger from a drawer in his desk. He flipped open to a bookmarked page and began writing on one of the lines. "I will accept the entrance of a Valkyrie at this barracks, you'll certainly be put to good use. Throne Esme will show you to your quarters, you will be granted a private chamber with the temporary rank Dominion during your review period. Do you have any inquiries before you are seen out?"