Chapter Nineteen

The mid-afternoon sun kissed Melioralee's face with warmth as she opened the door to the garden.

"One couldn't ask for a more beautiful day!" Elisaria called from within the fenced garden.

Tying up her skirts, Melioralee opened the gate and joined Elisaria in picking fresh green beans for dinner.

"I want to know everything about your time in Narnia!"

"It was like a dream, filled with joy and magic and beauty! Words simply cannot do it justice. Cair Paravel is magnificent and, though incomplete, truly a tribute to Narnia's legacy."

"And your time with the king?" Elisaria asked with the slightest of smirks.

Melioralee smiled as her thoughts filled with memories of every precious second spent with Caspian.

"Where do I even start?" she breathed.

"How about day one..."

~

The days spent in Anvard were sweet and rejuvenating for both Melioralee and Aloysius.

Not a word about the unrest between nations, insurgents or refugees was spoken, allowing them to clear their minds and simply enjoy the time spent with the people they loved.

When the time came for them to return to the homestead, Melioralee's sense of unleased had vanished, returning her to her usual, joyful countenance.

"We never did get a chance to discuss this, but you seemed to have sparked a very special friendship with little Aleida." Melioralee remarked to Aloysius a few nights after returning home.

"Ha, I suppose I did. I've never had a child react to me the way she did."

"Indeed. Were you aware that first conversation she had with you is the first time she's spoken of her parents since arriving at the orphanage?"

"Really?"

"She just instantly felt she could trust you I guess. It was precious to watch."

Before Aloysius could reply, the sound of thundering hooves approaching the cottage grabbed both the siblings attention.

Aloysius's eyes darted to meet his sister's as he reached for his sword.

The galloping hoof beats came to a stop right outside the door and the riders could be heard dismounting their horses and marching up the stairs.

Aloysius took his stance, preparing for the door to be thrown open.

Melioralee slipped inside her room, retrieving her own sword from it's hiding place under her bed.

Her whole body shook as she took the grip with both hands and prepared for the worst.

Aloysius gave her an assuring nod then inched closer to the door.

"Melioralee Burchard!!"

Melioralee's eyes went wide and she sent a pleading look at her brother.

"They know my name?" She whispered in absolute terror.

"Miss, we've come from Cair Paravel with an urgent message from his majesty, King Caspian."

Suddenly worried for a whole new set of reasons, Melioralee rushed forward and urged Aloysius to open the door.

There, on the porch, stood three of Caspian's personal messengers, the one in front handing her a small scroll.

"We were dispatched last night with instructions to deliver this to you as swiftly as possible." He explained with a slight bow.

Melioralee frantically broke the seal and opened the message.