Chapter Thirteen

Melioralee's eyes were filled with wonder as she and Caspian strode through the main hall of Cair Paravel.

A plush red carpet stretched across the floor and pillars lined the way on either side. Bright rays of sun spilled in through the large and plentiful windows filling the palace with natural light.

"Caspian...this is all so beautiful!"

"I'm so glad you think so!" Caspian smiled with pride, "Construction on the palace is not yet complete...my workers have yet to finish the north wing and there are a few items on the west side that need done as well, but we've worked hard to rebuild and it's so close."

"I cannot wait to explore every inch!" Melioralee exclaimed, giving Caspian's arm a little squeeze in her excitement.

The smiles on Melioralee and Caspian's faces did not go unnoticed by anyone as they wandered through the palace making all the introductions.

Once Melioralee and Aloysius had met the majority of the palace's servants, Caspian led them through a corridor filled with portraits.

"Who are all these people?" Melioralee questioned, stopping before an image of a young man with dirty blonde hair.

"You're standing in the midst of Narnia's history. These paintings are of previous rulers of Narnia and some members of my family...this one here is of High King Peter, he ruled during the Golden Age of Narnia...and returned with his siblings to fight at my side to free the Narnians from my uncle Miraz's tyranny."

"Returned? Narnia's Golden Ages was over a thousand years ago..."

Caspian chuckled.

"That is was...I shall explain that to you in time. The magic of Narnia is deep and complex and has served to supersede even the laws of time on occasion."

Melioralee pondered this for a moment but soon turned her attention back to the portraits.

"King Peter bears a similar resemblance to you, Aloysius."

"Why thank you sister." Aloysius grinned puffing out his chest. "Never have been told I look like a king before."

Melioralee giggled and gave her brother a playful whack in the chest.

"Don't let it go to your head or I'll take it back." She warned. "Caspian, you said Peter had siblings...are their portraits in here as well?"

"They are indeed!" Caspian confirmed, grasping Melioralee's hand. "This is his brother, king Edmund; and his sisters: queens Lucy and Susan."

Caspian's eyes quickly flitted over Susan's portrait as he tightened his grip on Melioralee's hand and hurried her further down the hall.

Noticing this, Melioralee cast a look at Aloysius, hoping he had seen the slight change in Caspian's behavior, but he didn't seem to be paying attention.

"This...this is my mother." Caspian announced almost wistfully as they stopped before another portrait.

The woman staring back at them was undoubtedly Caspian's mother. He looked just like her with her eyes like obsidian and dark wavy hair. Though she wasn't smiling in the likeness, Melioralee could tell Caspian bore her smile as well.

"You look just like her..." Melioralee said softly.

"Except for the nose...I got that from my father." Caspian grinned.

"She was beautiful...I know it's only a painting but it's like you can see the kindness of her heart through her eyes."

"Yes, she was...though I never really knew her, I wish you could have met her...and she you."