Chapter One

"FOR NARNIA!"

The tip of Caspian's sword glinted with light from the setting sun as he led the cavalry's charge into the great desert. The heat radiating off the sand only added to the heavy atmosphere between the two forces galloping toward one another. With the blink of an eye, swords, shields, spears, horses and soldiers crashed together. It had been only three days since the Calormene army had attacked Archenland's capitol, Anvard, killing or capturing dozens of its citizens. As they withdrew from the city, the Calormenes set fire to the woods at the city's outskirts, a blaze that spilled quickly over the border into Narnia. Being strong allies with Archenland, Caspian wasted no time assembling the Narnian army and joining forces in marching to battle against the Calormenes.

"Their reign of oppression, brutality and slavery ends today!" Caspian had urged the troops not a half hour earlier.

The cavalry pressed forward, quickly sending the Calormenes into a retreat. Caspian signaled General Glenstorm to send in the infantry. The horn was blown and the allied foot troops of Narnia and Archenland marched forward. As Caspian and the cavalry approached the Calormene front line, the ground beneath them shook with a low rumble. The Calormene forces split in half and let out an eerie battle cry. Suddenly twelve armored beasts with riders mounted on their backs erupted over the horizon and charged straight for the Narnian cavalry.

"FALL BACK! FALL BACK!"

Caspian turned around and pointed his sword toward the Narnia/Archenland ranks shouting, "REGROUP AT THE LINE!" The cavalry turned in haste, stumbling over each other as they rushed toward the infantry. Caspian galloped parallel to the troops, ensuring each soldier was in retreat.

"YOUR HIGHNESS! BEHIND YOU!"

Before he had time to react to the warning, Caspian was knocked from his steed by a large club and left lifeless in the sand. Another horn was sounded from the Alliance's ranks. Within moments, the beasts and their riders found themselves caught in a torrent of arrows. Amidst the chaos, a young soldier spotted the king lying on the ground and bounded toward him.

"Your majesty?"

Caspian neither moved nor responded. The soldier's eyes darted in every direction, searching for anyone who could help.

"Baudric?"

Hearing his name caught the soldier's attention and he turned around. Spotting his retreating comrade, Baudric shouted, "Help me, it's King Caspian, he's been wounded!"

The two men hoisted Caspian onto their shoulders, making their way back to the Alliance's camp. As they approached the front line, Caspian awoke.

"Easy your highness."

The soldiers loosened their grip around the king.

"Can you walk, sire?"

Caspian simply nodded and began to shuffle his feet. The two soldiers continued to support Caspian's movements until they arrived at the generals' tent.

"Are you alright my boy?"

King Nain of Archenland stepped forward, clasping Caspian's shoulder.

"I'll be fine."

The physician was called in to examine Caspian's wounds as the generals and kings contemplated the next step in their battle strategy.

"We could send a company to flank them from the west." One of Archenland's generals suggested.

"This is a desert, general. Every movement is out in the open for all to see. An advance like that wouldn't be effective enough to be worth our men or time. I'll lead another frontal assault; they took heavy losses during our last charge. This time have the infantry marching in right behind us."