Chapter 14: The Truth

Heidi's POV

While Bernard was asking what was going on, I watched my father, who was dressed like a dictator. 

"Hi!" Dad shouted from the top of the toy factory balcony. "Merry Christmas! Ho ho ho!" But everyone just ignored him. So, I watched as he pulled a lever, that shut everything down. "Can I have your attention?" Everyone looked at him. "Stop the work, please. Everybody. Stop the work. Merry Christmas! That's nice. I have a little announcement to make. From this moment forward, we're not gonna make any more toys." All the elves spoke in confusion. "The children of the world don't deserve these presents. They're running rampant with naughtiness. So, for this Christmas, we're gonna give those greedy, selfish little kids, EXACTLY what they deserve." He reached into the bag next to him and pulled out a giant rock. "A beautiful, high-quality, yet low-sulfur variety of coal." All the elves cried out in protest and confusion. Some even demanded Bernard told them what was going on and he had to calm them down. "Quiet!" They all stopped and looked at dad. "We have to focus, all of us, on the goals ahead. And just to make sure that that happens..." He put the coal down and took a horn from the elf next to him. "Thank you, sweetie." He chuckled. "I-I hate to blow my own horn." He blew the horn and all the doors of the room opened. We looked and gasped when we saw giant toy soldiers walking towards us. Elves started screaming as I pushed some behind me for their protection. 

"Stay where you are!" Bernard said, trying to calm the elves down. "Don't be afraid!" Curtis put his arms out in front of some elves to back them up. 

"Bernard, what's happening?" I asked, hiding some elves behind me. 

"I don't know." He said. 

"I was up late." Dad said. "Couldn't sleep. Milk couldn't do it, cocoa was a little sweet, so I decided to make an army of toy soldiers. They don't have a good sense of humor like me." The toy soldiers stopped when they surrounded us and turned to face my dad. "I would do what they ask you, which is pretty much what I'm going to tell you!" 

"Don't listen to him!" Bernard suddenly yelled, causing us all to face him. "This guy's not Santa!" 

"WHAT?!" Me and the elves exclaimed. 

"He's a toy!" Bernard said as two toy soldier came up to him. "He has a rubber face and a plastic tushy!" The two soldiers surrounded Bernard from both sides and trapped him between them. "Oh! Trust me. Don't let him ruin Christmas!" 

"Thank you for those kind words, Bernard." 'Dad' said. "Well, now that we all have an understanding..." He put his hand on another lever. "Have a...a joyous and merry Christmas." He pulled the lever and rivers of coal flowed down the machines. "Merry Christmas!" All the elves started screaming. Once the coal final stopped flowing, all the elves stopped screaming. "Now, get to work!" Most of the elves moved, but the ones who didn't caught the eye of 'dad'. "Is there something you wanna say, Lazy Elves?" 

"I do." I said, stepping forward, causing all the elves to gasp and look at me. 

"I thought you went home." He said, gritting his teeth in anger. 

"Luckily for you, I didn't." I said. 

"Well, unluckily for you, there's no way out now." He said and pointed at me. I saw two toy soldiers walking towards me. 

"Heidi!" I heard behind me. I turned to see the toy soldiers dragging Bernard out of the room. "Run!" I took off running through the elves. I ran out of the room and to a place where no one would be able to find me. At least I thought.