Chapter 4: The Plan

"Maybe you can be." Curtis suggested, and then looked at all the elves in the room. "Okay, everyone, can I get the room for a minute?" All the elves, except Bernard, started leaving the room. "Thank you, thank you. Can I...Just one minute. Take a coca break." Scott and Bernard were whispering to each other as the rest of the elves have gone. "Have a nice, long break. Relax, everyone. Just want to show Santa some improvements on the pantograph. Thanks, guys." The door shut and Curtis turned to Scott and Bernard. "Walk with me." They followed after the small elf. "I've tripled the R.A.M. and reconfigured the circuitry paths." 

"I see you've externalized the power source...to make better use of electromagnetic energy." Scott said as they stopped while looking up at the tall machine in the middle of the room. 

"Nah, it's just there cause it looks really cool." Curtis said, pressing buttons. 

"Yeah, it does." Scott said and chuckled. "Wait a minute, you tripled the R.A.M....Curtis, I see where this is going. I am not getting in that machine." 

"Right." Bernard said as Scott walked over to the two elves. "Besides, creating a copy of Santa Claus won't solve our problems. It would be a toy." 

"And the elves will know." Scott added. 

"And so will Heidi!" Bernard added. 

"But this will be a very i toy." Curtis said. 

"How's that, Curtis?" Scott asked. 

"Okay, I added a fuzzy logic circuit to the pantograph." Curtis explained. "The duplicate will look and think just like you, so when you're with your family, dealing with Charlie, and looking for a wife--" 

"The Toy Santa will be up here melting in front of my fireplace." Scott said. 

"No, the Toy Santa will be dealing with business up here." Curtis corrected. 

"I can deal with business up here!" Bernard said, walking over to Scott. "Santa, if the elves and Heidi ever find out that we've made a switch," He gasped for effect. "No! No! This machine is not the answer." They heard a clattering and squeaking noise, suddenly. 

"Hey, hey!" Curtis shouted a rat that ran onto the machine. "Hey, you! You! Shoo!" Suddenly, the machine started up, moving the rat into the machine. The 3 all shouted in protest as they moved around the machine, to the other end to find out what happened to the rat. When the machine powered down, two rats came out. One real, and the other an alive toy. "Look, you can't get much better than that. And I promise, it won't hurt a bit." 

"Uh...I'm going in." Scott finally said and ran around to the opening of the machine. 

"Oh, I can't watch this!" Bernard said in protest. Bernard ran over to the wall and faced it as Curtis ran over to the controls and started up the machine again. As Scott stepped onto the machine, Bernard covered his eyes with his hand, so he wouldn't have to see whatever bad thing that was about to happen. Curtis sighed and turned to Scott, gesturing for Scott to walk up into the machine. Scott looked at the elf, unsure but stepped on it and the machine loaded him in. Electricity went everywhere, like the scene from Frankenstein, as you heard Scott yelping in pain. When it was done, the machine unloaded Scott from itself." 

"It's perfect!" Curtis yelled, thinking that Scott was the toy. Scott played along for toy seconds before looking to the small elf. 

"That's because it's me, Einstein." Scott said. Curtis' smile dropped as him and Bernard ran over to Scott. 

"Santa, are you alright?" Bernard asked, concerned for the man's safety. "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, I got a shock in there." Scott said. "Is there supposed to be a shock?" Bernard and Curtis looked behind Scott and started screaming, causing Scott to turn around himself. 

"It's naked!" The three exclaimed as they saw the Ken-Doll Scott toy being unloaded from the machine. Scott wolf-whistled as his duplicate.

"Uh, throw something over him." Scott said, nudging Bernard. 

"Right." The older elf said, running to grab something behind them off the shelf. 

"It's incredible!" Curtis said as Bernard got out an old blanket. 

"Yes, it is." Scott said, waving his hand in front of the toy's face. Scott laughed as Bernard cover the toy Santa with a blanket. Scott looked to Curtis. "Um, can he talk?" Curtis gestured for Scott to try the toy out. Scott looked at his toy-twin. "Hello?" Weird sounds came out of the toy's mouth, so Scott tried again. "Hello?" 

"Hello?" The toy repeated, finally looking at the original Santa. Curtis smiled as Bernard's jaw dropped in shock. 

"Ho, ho, ho!" Scott said. 

"Ho, ho...ho." The toy repeated, less joyfully. 

"Not bad." Scott said. 

"Not bad yourself." The toy complimented, causing Scott to chuckle and glance at Curtis before turning back to the toy. 

"I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something about you that I like." Scott complimented back. 

"There's just something about you that I like." The toy repeated. 

"Huh." Scott said, and looked at Curtis. "You watch him. I'll be right back." 

"He's coming right back." The toy said to Curtis, as Scott led Bernard away from the two. Curtis giggled and the toy tried to repeat it, causing the elf to giggle more. 

"Bernard, I need your help on this." Scott said to the older elf, once they were out of earshot of the younger elf. 

"What do you mean?" Bernard asked, still speechless that there were now two Santas. 

"What I mean is, I got to go see Charlie, and I want you to convince the elves and Heidi, when she arrives, that...Toy Santa is me." Scott explained. 

"Uh, hmm." Bernard said. "Have you seen that thing?" 

"I have seen it, and I think that if you keep the elves and Heidi at a distance and tell them that I changed my look, it'll work!" Scott explained.  

"Oh, Santa, we're in way over our heads here." Bernard said, unsure. "I mean, Heidi's a smart kid. One look at that thing, and she'll know it's not you!"

"If anybody can do this, it's you, Number 1." Scott encouraged. 

"I-I-I-I'm not gonna lie to all the elves!" Bernard protested.