Chapter 8

Less than a minute later the fireworks started and the already dark sky lit up in all colors. From red to green to purple everything was there! They focused on the beauty in the sky and forgot the world around them. Only when Iwaizumi jumped up frightened did Oikawa regain consciousness. "Iwa-chan? What's wrong with you?", he followed up and looked surprised at his friend while Iwa took off his jacket and threw it on the bench. In the distance he could see someone running but knew he wouldn't catch up with him. "This bastard over there poured his drink over me and ran away!!!", Iwaizumi explained the situation and picked up his jacket again. "Judging by the smell it was just water but it's still wet now!" He complained and sat down next to his friend again.

After Oikawa noticed that Iwa was slightly shaking because it was already a little chilly at this time, so he took off his own jacket. No, he didn't want to hand them over otherwise he would be freezing himself! He had a much better idea! After taking off his jacket completely he moved closer to his friend and wrapped his jacket around them both. So they were not only protected from the wind by the jacket but could also warm each other through the heat of each other.

A few benches further crouched once again Matsukawa and Hanamaki who had decided to watch Oikawa and Iwaizumi cuddling because that's what it looked like from afar, but they were distracted by the beautiful fireworks.

Romance was in the air and at some point Maki slipped closer to his friend and rested his head on his shoulder. Amazed Matsu asked: "What's that supposed to be?" "...I'm cold", Maki replied whereupon Matsukawa put his arm around the smaller one and smiled. That evening seemed to be a success for everyone. For everyone except Oikawa because he was only frustrated by the closeness of his best friend because he kept remembering what Iwa had said to Hanamaki in the bathroom... It just couldn't go any further and so the player decided to speak to the wing-spiker tomorrow.

When the fireworks ended around half past eleven, everyone went home.

The next day before class Oikawa went looking for Hanamaki who he found in his class. Where else should he be?

"Maki? Could I have a word with you? There are still 5 minutes before class starts", Oikawa argued so that the other person wouldn't come up with some excuse to avoid talking to his captain.

They went out into the hall in front of Hanamaki's class. "What's up?" "I beg you to stop those damned fake dates! It can't go on like this! You know very well that it's all just an act after all it was your idea!" "But why does that bother you at all? Even if you're not really together you spend time with your best friend, you usually do that too", Maki defended himself and crossed his arms. Oikawa held the bridge of his nose annoyed and tried to find suitable words. "Listen Maki , I've never said that to anyone and I trust you to keep it to yourself... I can't stand these 'dates' anymore because I actually fell in love with him although I know I'll never have a chance and that's why it all hurts. Please understand that", the setter pleaded and looked at the floor in shame. So he couldn't see how close Maki was about to start laughing out loud. Only the noises Maki was making caused Oikawa to look up again. "What's so funny about that?! You are really worse Maki!!", Oikawa complained and had clenched his fists. You could see how his eyes were slowly filling with tears. Maki was about to start talking and had already raised his index finger to indicate that he wanted to explain something but was interrupted by the school bell. The two quickly hurried to their respective classes. The statement from Oikawa only underlined Maki's assumption that it was he who had been listening on the bathroom door, it all went together! He wanted to tell them about it all as soon as possible so the whole drama would come to an end but both had asked him to keep quiet. So it was going to be quite tricky. Luckily he had Matsukawa who was helping him link his plans. Together they came up with a plan that hopefully would fulfill their expectations.

After class, they still had training which once again played their part in their cards. "What did you wanted to say earlier?", Oikawa asked who came up to Maki. "I wanted to say something? I would remember that! Sorry but you must be wrong", the wing spiker said and made small 'cush-cush' movements with his hand. Great, like Oikawa wasn't irritated enough...

After the training was finally over, the captain was already looking forward to being able to go to bed soon. The last few days had been just too nerve-wracking. He and Iwaizumi waited impatiently at the entrance to the hall for the last ones to go but somehow nobody came although the light was still on in the changing room. Tired the two friends went into the hall and towards the changing room when Hanamaki and Matsukawa suddenly came out of it. "What are you taking so long for?! We have to lock up and want to go home too!", Iwaizumi grumbled but Matsu merely replied:" Yeah, we'll be finished soon." That confused Oikawa and Iwaizumi a lot because actually they had already changed their clothes and the hall was tidy. What were the two of them going to do?

(A/N: does this sentence make any sense in english at all? "and made small 'cush-cush' movements with his hand".

Thanks for reading!)