Chapter 4 - Safe

Sonya broke into a smile as soon as she noticed her best friend starting to make her way toward where she was, talking the day away with Harriet and Aris. Laughing at something their newly-found friend said, Sonya waved a little at Selena, moving closer to Harriet to give some space for the girl to sit down beside her. The red head didn't argue, smiling easily as soon as she saw her friends so happy and - for once - safe, as they caught up with one another.

"Hey!" Sonya smiled at Selena as soon as the girl sat down beside her on the log she had been sharing with her girlfriend by the fire. "What took you so long?"

"I took some time to talk to Thomas." Selena shrugged, smiling back at her best friend and grabbing from her the bowl of soup she offered her, absolutely grateful for having beside her someone who always made sure she was okay even when she felt like it was actually her job to do that to the girls.

"Why?" Harriet asked, leaning forward a little to look over at Selena across from Sonya as the two girls chuckled a little at her reaction, already far too used to Harriet's evasive and always very suspicious behavior. "What did he want?"

"He was just a little confused." Selena explained. "Same way we were when we first got here, I guess. He asked a lot of questions."

"Yeah, he does that." Aris spoke up, a smile on his lips as he, for the first time in the longest time, felt absolutely content, safe among the girls that he had become his family during his short time at the Sposh. "Newt says he's been asking questions ever since he first came out of the box in their maze."

"Well, I figured some of his questions were worth answering, so I just decided to help him out a little." Selena said. "He was curious as to how I knew how to make the serum."

"And did you tell him?" Sonya asked, her brows furrowing in worry a little as she looked over at Selena.

At her question, the girl sighed, raising the bowl of soup up to her lips to take a sip of it, buying some time for herself before answering her properly. Sonya kept her eyes on Selens, her expression soft and welcoming just as the girl always was, but a little more alert now, knowing very well that the memories WCKD had restored for her were a delicate topic. So much so that she actually was the only person in the world - except for Mary and, now, for whatever reason, Thomas - that actually knew the whole of what WCKD had done to her in those few hours they had spent at their compound after their break out from the Sposh.

"Yeah." She admitted. "He... He seemed very... Lost, so I just... I told him what I knew."

"And what exactly is that?" Aris asked, frowning a little, his eyes going over the three girls in front of him as Harriet shrugged, Sonya looked away from him and Selena bit her lip. "What is it that you know?"

"Doesn't matter right now." She said, her voice a little lower, causing Aris to stare at her in confusion. "The important thing is... I know now how to make the serum that helps the infected get a little better and Thomas' friend... The one in the tent inside..."

"Brenda." Aris finished Selena's thought for her when he noticed she was struggling to remember her name.

"Yes, Brenda." Selena nodded. "She seems fine for now."

"Does that mean she'll get to come with us when we move?" Sonya asked, as Selena sighed quietly.

"I don't know." She said. "I guess that's up to Vince."

"And where are we going when we leave this place?" Harriet asked, causing Selena to shake her head.

"Also up to Vince."

"And when are we going?" Aris asked, pulling a laugh from Selena as she leaned back a little, her hair falling down her shoulders as she let the amusement ride through her body.