thirty seven. a dead man's epiphany

thirty seven
⋇⋆✦⋆⋇
a dead man's epiphany

thirty seven⋇⋆✦⋆⋇↳ a dead man's epiphany ↲

IT HAD FELT LIKE FOREVER, since I truly allowed myself an ever-simple moment

IT HAD FELT LIKE FOREVER, since I truly allowed myself an ever-simple moment. A breath where I was truly content – a short amount of time; a pocket of peace.

These instances used to be the only thing that kept me fighting for my life. And now, I held onto them because I wasn't foolish enough to begin believing that they would last forever. That's how everything was; it came, and it went.

As I sat on the porch steps with Carl, my head against his shoulder while watching the snowflakes float down, I felt it in my soul. A lifetime separated him and the last standing memory he held, of this kind of moment. It never came easy for him. Deep inside of him, an internal battle was always being fought. Not one person, apart from me could see it. I thought maybe, he hadn't even realized it. Though, I saw past his skin. The real him, which was tainted. The scars that had healed on his exterior, but still bled freely inside.

These kinds of moments healed not only I, but him, too. It would not last forever. I wished it would — that we could stay in this single instant for an infinity, but the seconds passed despite my wishes. Time. We were always fighting time. None of our other battles felt significant when thinking about it's inevitability.

As if the magnetic pull from my own heartbeat had stopped the instance on it's own, our front door pushed open, leaving a warmth spreading outwards.

"It's cold out here."  A woman softly spoke from behind, putting an end to the short tranquility.

My head left Carl's body and twisted around to find Michonne holding a tightly bundled Judith. The baby let out a small squeal at the sight of us sitting here. Carl got up at her coos, and greedily took his sister into his arms.

"Thanks." He told her, turning back to me and helping me up to stand with his free hand.

We previously asked Michonne to dress her warm, and bring her out here. Although she was quite curious, we kept the scheme which we had thought of this morning, in secrecy. Only when we sat Judith down beside us in the glistening powered snow, did the wonder get the best of the older woman.