thirty three. vantage point

thirty three
⋇⋆✦⋆⋇
vantage point

thirty three⋇⋆✦⋆⋇↳ vantage point ↲

MY HEART WAS STILL BEATING UNEVENLY as Carl and I quietly sat at the kitchen bar, plates of food in front of us

MY HEART WAS STILL BEATING UNEVENLY as Carl and I quietly sat at the kitchen bar, plates of food in front of us. He had practically shoved his whole sandwich into his mouth within three bites to avoid any chance of awkward conversation. On the other hand, I had barely touched mine. My previous hunger had completely vanished after the — whatever that was. I thought that if I were to put anything more on my stomach currently, It would come right back up. In fact, the mere look of the sandwich was now making me feel ill. I took my finger, moving it back from my sight. My eyes stayed on the ground, watching my swaying legs hover over the wood.

Carl pushed himself off the counter stool, grabbing his plate.

"You done?" He asked, his gaze heavy on me.

I nodded, handing him my plate he hesitantly reached for. "Thanks."

"Mhm." He hummed out.

Instead of just simply throwing the bitten sandwich into the trash can, he wolfed it down, too. Then, he put our plates into the empty sink Carol had obviously cleared from our pancake attempt. Running the water over them, I catched him glancing at me. Instead of looking in the opposite direction, he only furrowed his brows delicately while placing his hands on the counter. My finger was twisting the ring on my middle finger. My thumb ran across the smooth plasticy-metal.

"Can I ask you something?" The boy spoke. His eyes were still hooked on me from across the kitchen island.

"Yeah," I cleared my throat. "Of course."

"Are we gonna forget about this kiss, too?" He asked, in a rather serious tone.

My eyes widened slightly at his bluntness. Although, I knew why he asked this. I'd told him to 'forget it', the first time we had kissed. Tried to convince myself that we had to stay friends to stay safe, because god forbid I care for another like I now knew I cared for him. I think the two of us were used to horrible things happening to people we cherished. I, however, was just more cowardly in admitting to what this was. I was scared of the outcome. At one point, that softness resonating under my tough skin had ruined me. I never wanted to let it take control again, but we couldn't control who the softness reached out for. In this case, it was Carl. All, and only him.