Chapter 2

Thoughts

In the present, in Naoto's apartment.

Takemichi: Ah...

Naoto: Time travel.

Takemichi: Huh?

Naoto: I've observed something about your power.
You jumped from the present, July 4th, 2017, to July 4th, 2005. In other words, this means you can go back to the same date twelve years ago. I believe that is your power.

Takemichi: Ah...

(Y/N): Cool!

In the present, in Naoto's apartment. Takemichi and (Y/N) works on the computers while Naoto directs them.

Takemichi: I'm so tired.

(Y/N): Are you trying to kill us?

(Y/N) looks exhausted.

Naoto: There. That's important.

Takemichi: Huh? Uh, right.

Naoto: Also there. Did you actually read that part?

Takemichi: Hm? R-Right...

Naoto: And then the next part...

Takemichi: Ah...

Naoto: You've gone too far.

Takemichi: Ahh...

Naoto: Yes, there. Please remember that part, too.

Takemichi: For two days since then, I've been locked in Naoto's apartment with (Y/N) and haven't slept a wink.

Takemichi yawns.

Naoto: Ahem!

Takemichi: Erk!

Naoto: You need to pack as much information as possible about the Tokyo Manji Gang into your head.

Takemichi: Naoto's insane. He's trying to kill me.

Takemichi: Ahh...

Takemichi turns to the whiteboard that Naoto has prepared.

Takemichi: Ah...

Takemichi: Five days ago on July 1st, Tachibana Hinata was involved in a dispute among members of the Tokyo Manji Gang and died. During a festival, a truck drove in, aiming for some stalls, and she was one of the victims. She was 26.

Naoto: In that report, you'll find some of what the Tokyo Manji Gang has been up to that hasn't been reported by the media.

Naoto: That's information my predecessor risked his life gathering.

Takemichi finds a photo of a dead man on the computer.

Takemichi: Ngh...!

(Y/N): ...

Naoto: That last photo is actually him.

Takemichi: Huh?

Naoto: He was investigating undercover when he was discovered and killed.

Takemichi: Ah...

Naoto: In one of his eye sockets, they found the media device that fully recorded his murder in place of his gouged-out eyeball.

(Y/N): That's messed up but a good idea to use to get a message across.

Takemichi: Ah...

Naoto: I kept requesting transfers until I finally got assigned to my predecessor's position six months ago. The death of this investigator is under wraps because they didn't want to cause panic, though that's only part of the reason. The Tokyo Manji Gang was already under Kisaki Tetta's control before it happened.