Sleepover

At Eva's place, the girls were in their PJs in Eva's room.

They were discussing how to continue their search for Vivo.

Gabi said, "Ok, Vivo would most likely stop at somewhere where there's plenty of civilization. Where someone would notice him and recognize him and know to call me or Mom."

Becky thought, "Maybe back at Duval Street. It's the most popular area in Key West. Bound to be full of people."

Gabi said, "Ok, then tomorrow, we'll search parts of Duval Street."

Eva then said, "Hey, maybe when we find Vivo, we could do sleepovers more often."

Gabi actually said, "Yeah. This is kind of fun."

Sarah said, "Maybe next time, at my place. My mom bakes great snickerdoodles."

Becky then said, "Priorities first, ladies...but yes, that sounds like a great idea."

Just then, they heard thunder.

They gasped and looked out the window.

They saw the storm coming in.

That made Gabi nervous.

"I hope Vivo's ok."

Becky reassured, "Gabi, he once saved us from a 19-foot python. I think he can manage a storm."

Gabi started to relax.

Eva said, "And besides, Vivo's not alone. He's with the other pets."

Gabi felt a lot better knowing Vivo wasn't alone.

Just then, Becky asked, "Gabi, when we find Vivo, I was just wondering if...we could hang out like today and right now more often. We did have fun at the aquarium."

Gabi responded, "Well, uh..."

Becky then said, "And you can bring Vivo with us when we go to places that allow pets."

Gabi said, "Well, that's a really nice offer, but..."

"What's wrong?"

Gabi wasn't sure how to answer.

Sarah said, "Hey, you can tell us. We're your friends."

Eva said, "You can tell us anything."

Gabi finally answered, "Well, it's not that I wouldn't want to. It's just that...well...I don't usually do things like that because...I haven't really met a lot of other kids that would understand me. Not even my own Mom had a clue about me, at first."

The girls took a moment of silence.

Becky said, "Actually, Gabi...I know how you feel."

Gabi looked at her, "Huh?"

Becky explained, "Yeah. Before I became part of the Sand Dollars, I was the only kid in class who had a really deep concern about the environment."

Gabi playfully asked, "How deep?"

Becky responded, "Well, sometimes, I would stand by a garbage can and recycling bin just to make sure everyone remembered where to throw their stuff away."

"And what happens if someone mixes up?"

"That was mostly when I said something like... 'Congratulations on adding one more piece of plastic for an innocent wild animal to choke on'."

The girls laughed.

Becky continued, "But no one really understood how much I cared for protecting our environment. They just thought I was cuckoo or something. They always asked questions like 'What harm could one piece of plastic do?' or 'There's still plenty of whatever animal in the world. What's the big deal?'. It drove me nuts."

She then looked at Sarah and Eva, "When I joined the Sand Dollars, I met Eva and Sarah. They completely understood all my efforts to make the world a better place for all creatures."

She then said, "Gabi, one way or another, we'll understand you...because that's simply what friends do."

Gabi smiled, "Thanks, girls."

Just then, Eva's mom came in.

"Ok, girls, it's lights out."

Eva responded, "Ok, Mom."

They all said their goodnights and Eva's mom turned off the lights.

Gabi quietly said as she drifted off to sleep...

"Goodnight, Vivo."

***

Vivo, in the meantime, was led all the way back to the Plaza.

But he still wanted to find Gabi.

"Look, guys, I just think we can beat the rain and-"

Novella said, "Ah-bup-bup. No use trying to do so, Vivo. We can't have you catching a cold in what could possibly be one of Key West's worst storms."

Dancarino also said, "Yeah, and besides, Gabi wouldn't stay out in the rain either. She's probably somewhere indoors."

Vivo realized he was probably right.

So...there really was no other option but to wait out the rain.

Vivo finally just followed them without being led.

While they were walking, Stella decided to ask.

"Vivo...is everything ok?"

Vivo responded, "Yeah, why?"

Stella said, "Well, it's just that...Well, you see, the night we met...after I left, I saw-"

Tiago shouted, "Here we are, yo!"

They had led him all the way to what looked like a bar.

It read Scarlet Macaw.

Vivo asked, "A bar?"

He also noticed that the main doors were closed, the window shades were down, and the outdoor lights were off.

"It looks like it's closed."

Roxie said, "Uh, yeah, because it is closed."

Vivo said, "Well, if it's closed, then why are we-"

Novella said, "It's closed for humans, but not for us."

Vivo was still confused, but proceeded to follow.

They went around to the side of the building.

Tiago said, "V, let me just say this; There's more than one way to open a door."

With that, Tiago revealed a secret hole in the side of the building.

It was hidden behind a large flower pot on the outside, and by a heavy garbage can on the inside, to prevent people from finding out about it.

Vivo was a little amazed.

But not as amazed as he was once he went inside.

On the outside, it looked like the place was closed with no one inside.

But on the inside...it was anything but.

It looked like any kind of bar with a music venue.

There was a drink station with a wide array of drinks and such.

There were tables for dining.

And there was even a stage for live performers with gigs.

And one key difference; It was full of animals.

Most of them were either drinking (milk or water), eating special pet dishes, or enjoying the current live performance on stage.

The rest were 'employees' serving pet drinks or food.

Vivo said, "Wow. I was not expecting this."

Charlotte said, "I know, right!"

Roxie said, "This is our favorite hotspot in town."

Stella said, "The owner closes on early on weekdays. And once it's closed, the owner's pet macaw reopens it solely for the pets of town."

Tiago said, "Welcome to paradise!"