You & I

Life went by and Meredith and Derek finally found their ways back to each other, almost like nothing ever changed. She was finally able to accept reality and go on with her life, the life she dreamt of, the one with Derek in it. They finally had each other back, their lives back. They all were living their best lives.

One morning, on their day off from work, Derek woke Meredith up and told her to get dressed so they could take a ferry ride he promised her all these years ago. They took the kids and went to the ferry boat. Kids were so excited because they haven't been on one for so long. They used to love ferry rides, but since Derek 'died' they stopped doing that, so they were happy to have him back alongside their family traditions.

They were on a ferry, kids standing close to them, looking at the sea, enjoying the view. Derek had his arms wrapped around Meredith, hugging her from behind, breathing the smell of her hear in, enjoying the time with his family. He couldn't quite remember the last time he took a ferry, it was so long ago, everything was so different then, but right now, having Meredith in his arms and their kids by their side, he couldn't be happier.

"I used to come here when missing you was too unbearable, when it felt too much, when I needed to feel that maybe you were watching over me" she whispered to him shakily, remembering all the times didn't know how much longer she could live without him, the only reason of her holding on being their kids.

Derek could feel sadness in her voice, knowing the bittersweet feeling she was feeling right now very well. "It's okay, I'm here now." He whispered back, so the kids wouldn't sense their sadness. "I'm not going anywhere ever again" he kissed her temple, hoping it'd be enough to reassure her.

"Remember that day, when you were going to DC... You left me a voicemail from the ferry."
"Yeah..." he said as the memories from that came back. He remembered every detail, every feeling he felt. He was so hopeful, because he knew that their constant fights and missing each other was over, he could finally be happy with his family, at least he thought so. Back then, he had no idea all of that would be taken away from him. He hugged Meredith tighter, making sure they both knew there was nothing in the world, not even the gods above, that could separate them.
"Hey, it's me. I'm on the ferry. I just wanted to say that, um... God, I wish you could see this. Weather's classic Seattle. Oh, the water is so blue. It may be the most perfect ferryboat ride I've ever had in my life. We're gonna do this a lot more when I get home, by the way... you, me, and the family. We're just gonna take a day and... ride the ferryboat... all day if we want. I love you, Meredith. I know I just left, and I'm not even at the airport yet, but I just wanted to say... I love you. I love our family. And we're gonna keep doing this. I'll see you when I get home. I love you." She sighed as she finished repeating every word he said, every breath he took. "That's what you said and then you disappeared." She added.

Derek was shocked. Hearing her saying these words made all the memories come back, making him feel like he couldn't breathe.

"I know the words, because I used to listen to that all the time. I kept paying the phone bill, so I could listen to your voice. Sometimes it soothed me, sometimes not, but it was nice to hear your voice again, made me smile every time. Sometimes I cried too, knowing we couldn't have all that you wanted, but now we can, no we're us again, and I can finally stop listening to that voicemail, because I have you right here. That's a dream come true Derek." She said as tears fell from her eyes.

"I'm so sorry you had to feel all that. God, Mer, I wish that never happened, but it did, and we lived with the consequences for five years, but now we're both here and neither of us is going anywhere. I love you, I love you more than you can possibly imagine, and I'm so glad that we can have our lifetime together, that I can die when I'm 110 in your arms." They both smiled as he said the last part.
"I love you too Derek. I love you so much." She turned her head and kissed him, it was slow, soft but filled with love.

"eww" Bailey and Ellis cringed as they saw their parents kissing. Zola didn't mind though, she missed seeing their parents together and happy. She always imagined what it'd be like if her daddy was still alive, and now that has turned into reality, so seeing them kiss wasn't awkward for her.

Derek and Meredith laughed at their reaction. Soon they noticed that the ferry stopped, and Derek suggested that they'd get off of it. Meredith didn't understand why, because they were planning on going back with the same ferry without getting off, but she realized he had something in mind, so she followed her. She slowly started realizing what he had planned as they made their way back to their 'dream house'.

"Derek, what are we doing here?" Meredith asked, slightly confused.
"Wait a minute and you'll see, love." Meredith didn't even pay attention to the rest of what he said, because she felt so many feelings as he called her 'love'. Derek noticed that and pulled her close to him, whispering in her air. "You're my love, you know that, right?" he kissed her cheek, though he really wanted to kiss her lips but avoided getting another 'eww' from the kids.
"I know, I just... We never call each other like that... But it felt... amazing... Love" she finished talking emphasizing the last word giggling. Her contagious laugh was music to his ears. It made him feel alive, knowing she was happy. He knew how lucky he was to have her, and he planned on spending the rest of his life making her happy, just as she made him.

Soon enough, they were standing in front of their 'dream house'.
"Can I know now why we're here?" Meredith asked, impatience evident in her voice. Kids wanted to know what they were doing here too, so he decided to finally feed their curiosity.
"I know you have told everyone that you sold this house, and I also know that that was a lie. So I brought all of you here, to ask for your opinion. I want to know if you want to move back here." He finished talking and now he was the impatient and curious one. He wanted to know what everyone thought of his idea.  He knew the answer soon enough when he saw smiles on their faces, tear rolling down Meredith's cheek.
"That's a great idea, Der." She said as he wiped her tears.
"And I also wanted to ask" he started taking her hands in his "Will you marry me? I know, I know we're married, but so much has happened, and I want us to get married again, rekindle our vows, have a little ceremony for our families and these little monsters standing right here, looking at us with puppy eyes." They both laughed at that.
"Mommy, please say yes" the kids said at the same time.
"So... Meredith Grey, will you marry me?" He asked again, looking into her eyes, trying to read what she was thinking.
"Of course I will, Der." She smiled at him as he pulled her in for a kiss.
They once again heard 'eww' coming from the kids.
"Hey, don't 'eww' us, you were the ones begging for the wedding." Meredith told them after pulling out from the kiss.
"Yeah, okay" bailey and Ellis said in unison, looking at the floor.
"I'm so happy for you" Zola smiled at her parent. For her, it was a dream coming true. She always wanted to see her mother in a white dress.
"Thanks, sweetie" they both replied.
"Wait, does that mean I can be a flower girl?" Ellis's face lit up immediately.
Meredith and Derek chuckled. "Yes, sweetie, you and Zo both can, and Bailey can be daddy's best man, does it sound good?"
"Yayy" the kids exclaimed happily and hugged their parents. They all were in each other's embrace, feeling like their family was finally complete after all this time and nothing could ever take that happiness away from them.

Hii! It's been so long since I updated this story. I just didn't know what to do with it anymore❤️ I loved writing this story but everything has to come to end eventually, right? There's gonna be one more chapter, yeah you guessed it, it's gonna be a wedding😌
Meanwhile check out my other story "That's how we met ('tis the damn season)"

Also whoever will get the title reference(of this chapter) and the same reference in this chapter ILY! <3

Happy new year everyone! (I know it's not new year yet but congratulating few hours earlier wont hurt, right?) 🎉🥰