I Don't Know

"Hey" Amelia called for Meredith as she came closer to her.
"Hey" Meredith sat in the attending's lounge all alone.
"How did it go with Deluca? Did you tell him?" curiosity was killing her.
"I told him about Derek. He looked... I don't know... Kinda like he saw a ghost. Anyways... We haven't talked. He got paged and left immediately."
"I can see why. Your only thought is Derek these days."
"No, it isn't."
"I'm not judging. That's my only thought too. Your husband who happens to be my brother just came back from dead. We took the news cool. Someone in our place would for sure lose it."

Meredith rolled her eyes. She's very good at pretending if Amelia thought that she was cool with everything that happened. The only reason she didn't lose it was her kids. That's what was keeping her sane. She never saw them so happy before, and she was grateful that at least they were enjoying the change in their lives.

Amelia wasn't feeling as well as Meredith thought she was. She was very good at pretending but how could she be okay? His brother came back from dead and no matter how happy and lucky she felt because of it, she was still stressed out and mad at the world for being so screwed up and messy. Link was even more confused as he had to get to know her girlfriend's dead brother, and that wasn't helping her at all. The only thing keeping her from not taking drugs was Scout. He was the only thing in the world that wasn't so complicated and confusing. He was the only light in her life, and yet, parenting him was the hardest thing she's ever done in her life.

"Is that true?" Alex rushed into the room.
Meredith and Amelia both looked at him quietly for a while. Then they both nodded in unison.

"That's why you both have been acting so weirdly. How did that happen? How are you?"

"Slow down" Meredith looked at her best friend who was confused and curious about everything that happened.

Alex sat down next to her. He couldn't imagine what she was feeling right now. He wanted to be there for her as much as he could but he didn't know how. He wanted her to know that he was there for her no matter what he needed, as she's always been there for him. So he sat silently and heard the whole story even though he found it confusing and unreal. But facts spoke differently: Derek was here and very much alive.

"What about Deluca?" Alex asked after she finished the story.
"I don't know..." She muttered. The room was filled with silence as all three of them sat without saying anything.
Suddenly, Meredith's pager went off.
"Crap, I gotta go." She rushed out of the room, happy to finally escape awkward silence.

"Do you believe that she doesn't know the answer to that question?" Amelia asked but she already knew the answer.
"Of course, I don't. He's the love of her life. There's no way he'll stay with Andrew if she hasn't lost her mind. She's just giving herself some time to get used to the new reality. She's running from the truth, that's what she knows how to do best. She's hiding behind that words... I don't know... That's the biggest lie she's ever said. She knows. Of course, she knows. She always has."

Amelia nodded her head in acceptance. She didn't get to see them together for a long time but she always knew what they meant for each other. She knew that they would make it, no matter the circumstances. She hoped to see them finally happy after everything they went through. They deserved their happy ending. They deserved it more than anyone else.

***************************************

"Derek?"
"Owen. It's nice to see you."
"I've heard it but I couldn't believe it. I still can't. How?" He had so many questions burning in his brain but that's all he could say. How? That question was repeating itself in his mind. How was he alive? How?
"Apparently, everyone has heard about it already. I'm not surprised at all. And how am I alive? That is a great question with a very long answer, but I'll tell you as short as possible. President kidnapped me and forced me to work for him, otherwise, he would hurt my family." Derek always was emotional when talking about it. He spent five whole years without his family. How did everything turn out like this? Why was the universe so screwed up?

That answer wasn't enough to satisfy his curiosity. He couldn't believe what he was hearing but all of that made him think of Megan and how she was missing for years till they found her. He remembered the feeling of losing someone and then getting them back. He remembered every drop of tear, caused by the grief, and fear. And sometimes hope too.

They were middle of talking when Andrew Deluca came closer to the nurse's station.

"Patients ready to be discharged but he asked if he can stay till the morning. Make sure to take care of that."
"Sure, Dr. Deluca."
"Thanks" he thanked the nurse and was about to walk away when he noticed the man he's seen a lot of times, but never in person. Meredith's house was full of pictures of him. He remembered the blue post-it note with his signature on it. He remembered that Meredith called him the love of her life. He remembered all the things he's ever heard of him and that made his blood boil. He was alive, standing right in front of him and he was a danger for his relationship.

Derek on the other hand was trying to keep calm. The moment said his name he knew who he was looking at. Andrew Deluca, the man who's been screwing his wife. He tried to calm down and look at the bright side. He made Mer happy when he couldn't. He thought thoughts like that would calm him down but it made him even angrier. Images of him touching Mer, his Mer, burned his heart. And there was only one person who he blamed: himself. He left her wife and kids for some stupid job. That's why they all were going through living hell for the last five years. It was all his fault. That's what he thought. And maybe he was right, wasn't he?

Derek was pulled out of his thoughts when he realized Owen was still standing next to him talking about something else.
"I gotta go" he smiled politely and walked away.

He saw confused and curious looks on everyone's faces. He knew he would have to look at those confused faces every day until they'd all get used to it, get used to having him around.

"Hey" he smiled when he saw the love of his life.
"Hey" she smiled back but she didn't want to. It was a reflex. Her entire body knew she had to smile when she saw him. She couldn't do anything other than that while looking at his piercing blue eyes. He was gone for years but every single feeling she felt for him was still there. They were looking at each other for a long while, their eyes never losing connection and the sparkle. They belonged together and nothing could ever change that. She knew that. He knew that. Everybody around them knew that too.

They both knew one day they'd be together. They just didn't know when that would happen, or was that even possible for it to happen? They wanted to know that so badly but no one in the universe had the right answer, not even god himself.

Thanks for reading 🦋
Hope you enjoyed ✨
I wrote half of this when I was in a lot of pain(appendicitis) so I'm sorry if it's too bad😂

I feel like I'm running out of ideas and I'm just writing some crap that comes to my mind so if you have any suggestions I'm here and I'm listening ✨
I think sometimes it gets so cheesy and dramatic so let me know if that bothers you.1