Can't Fight Biology

Thanks for reading my story! Hope you enjoy🦋
Don't forget to vote and feel free to share your opinion ✨

"It's time," Derek thought and got off the bed. He was so ready to meet his family again. It's been years and years of not being able to even tell them he was alive, but now? Now he was standing there very much alive and so ready to meet everyone again. Then, suddenly, he lost all of his confidence. What if they would hate him? What if the kids didn't even remember him? What if they got so used to not having a father that they thought they didn't even need one? What if they call 'daddy' to Andrew instead of him? There were so many unanswered questions in his head, but the only way to find out was to go out there and let them know he was alive.

He heard steps getting closer. Only then he realized it wasn't just someone coming up the stairs. It was one of the kids. He slowly opened the door just to see Zola walking into her room. He couldn't believe his eyes. When he 'died' she was so little, and now, after all this time she was so big and he couldn't help but want to hug her, but he decided not to. She probably still didn't know anything about him being alive. That way he would just scare her, so he decided to wait.

A few minutes later he heard someone coming upstairs. Well, it wasn't just someone. There were a whole bunch of people coming upstairs. A tall man was holding a baby, and two kids were following them. Derek figured that tall man might've been Link and the baby he was holding was Scout. He was so little, and so much like Amelia. His heart skipped a beat realizing who were two kids following them. They were his kids, his babies. And once again, he couldn't believe his eyes. Bailey was so grown up. And Ellis... Ellis was a spitting image of Meredith. Exact same hair, exact same smile. He didn't know her yet, but she was already his little girl, his little angel. His confidence suddenly came back. He knew he was going to do everything to get his kids back. He couldn't get what he missed back, but he could create new memories with them, and he was planning to do that for the rest of his life. The only thing he needed to do was to wait a little more. A few minutes or hours were what was keeping him apart from his kids and he for sure could wait for that long.

It was only adults left downstairs, so he decided to go there. He heard people coming upstairs once again as he got out of the room. He soon saw three women walking next to each other. The first person he noticed was Meredith. Of course, it was always her. Then he saw Amelia and Maggie walking next to each other. His heart skipped a beat once again.
"Hey" he smiled.
Memories came back to him as he saw her sister for the first time after what felt like forever. Tears wear streaming down both their faces.

"Are you real?" Amelia whispered, him barely hearing her.
"I am" he said as his smile grew bigger.

She runs to him and fell into his embrace. They hugged for a long time, both uncontrollably crying. Then she finally smiled. She had her brother back. He was really there. It wasn't just a dream. She didn't know how, or why, not as she cared. The only thing in her mind right now was that his brother was alive.

Meredith and Maggie were holding hands as Amelia pulled out of Derek's embrace.
"You are real" Amelia chuckled, still crying.
"I really am."
"Hi" Maggie said shyly.
"Hi. It's nice to see you again" he gave her a warm smile.
"It's nice to see you too."

"Mer..." Derek looked at Meredith who quietly stood there the whole time.
"Yeah?"
"Are you okay?" he asked but instantly regretted it. It was obvious she wasn't alright. Or how could she be? "Sorry. I shouldn't have asked that."
"It's fine. It's just... It still feels unreal. Like you're going to disappear and never come back."
"I'm sorry."
"It's not your fault."
They both got quiet.

"How are we going to tell kids?" Amelia broke the silence, still drying her tears.
"I don't know" Meredith and Derek sighed at the same time.
They heard laughing from Zola's room.