Chapter Four:

Chapter Four:

The bricks blocked off the sight of my older brother, and I didn't know whether to be relieved or desperate to go seek him out. The professor turned around and the sight of his billowing black cloak made up my mind for me. I turned on my heels and followed after him, never looking back at the boy who left me behind.

"Is there anything you need to pick up from your Aunt's home?" The Professor questioned as we went back inside of the dingy bar. Not as many people bothered to turn and stare at us, for which I was extremely grateful.

My eyebrows crinkled in confusion. Why did he want to know if there was anything I needed, wasn't I supposed to be going back with Aunt Marge until September the First?

"You'll be accompanying me to my home for the next week and a half, I hope you do not mind," Professor Snape commented, as if he were simply speaking of the wheather. I bit my lip as I thought about my few possessions. I had a photo of my brother and I last year when we went to the zoo for Dudley's birthday. Plus, I wanted to keep my Hogwarts acceptance letter... and then there was Bambino, as well. He wasn't mine to take, but I didn't want to leave him with Aunt either.

It would be rude of me to not only take the kind mans offer of a home so I didn't have to return to Aunt Marge, but also bring an animal with me. Professor Snape didn't strike me as a man who enjoyed the company of animals...or people for that matter.

In fact, I realized, I shouldn't ask him to go back to get anything for me. I shouldn't even let him house me for the next week and a half. But I didn't feel like I had much of a choice in that matter, I felt like being just a little bit selfish. I didn't want to go back to Aunt Marge's. My cheek still stung a little bit, strengthening my resolve.

"No s-sir, there is no-nothing."

Professor Snape looked down at me, his facial emotions a mix between a sneer and a scowl, but he didn't press the issue.

He grabbed my arm in a tight grip and with a resounding POP sound, I could feel myself being pulled through a thin tube and when the sensation stopped, I fought my nausea and looked up to see where we'd landed this time.

The house was rather dark...dreary. It vaguely reminded me of a smaller version of the 'haunted castle' look. With vines crawling up the sides, the shutters askew and the grass slightly overgrown.

Strangely, despite it's scary look, I felt right at home.

The professor dragged me inside and I didn't have the chance to assess my surroundings before I was being pulled down a hall and into a dusty, dank and dark room.

"Here is where you will stay," the professor growled as I attempted to cough the dust out of my lungs. With a flick of his wand, the room seemed to clean itself, the dust gone, the blankets on the bed washed and the floors scrubbed.

It was amazing...

It was nothing fancy, in fact most would probably call this room unfit to live in with it's slightly molded walls, cracked window, and cut up curtains...but it was better than I'd ever hoped to have.

It wasn't a pallet on the floor, or a cupboard under the stairs shared with my brother. It was an actual room...and I'd be staying here!

I grinned happily. "Thank you so much!"

* * * * *

I awoke from a sound sleep the next morning from the feel of something extremely cold touching my face...something cold...and wet. My eyes snapped open, and I squealed in delight as I saw Bambino wagging his little tail and laying on my bed. I scooped him up and hugged him tightly, though extremely carefully and smiled my biggest smile yet.

On the table beside my bed lay the photograph of Harry and I, plus my acceptance letter...

How did he know?

I stumbled down the hall, still holding Bambino in my arms and didn't stop going until I caught sight of Professor Snape.

"T-thank you...s-so much," I muttered, hating the stutter that marred my words.

"No o idea what you're talking about.." the professor drawled, bringing up the news paper that he held to hide his face from my view.

I was just about to say something else when I noticed...something rather odd. "I-Is that pict-ture moving?"

"Over the next many months, and possibly even years you'll notice odd things happening Miss Potter. It's best to get used to it, because the only explanation will be this: It's magic."