chapter 7

The cold bites at my ears as I stalk along the streets. I already know I’m in the wrong. I just couldn’t say it. Why couldn’t I just say it! I head down the stairs to the underground and take the tube a few stops down just to warm up a little. Relief from the wind is enough to let my ears regain blood flow.

            Distance and time give me a chance to breathe. I stare at the ground to avoid looking at all the decorations. My phone rings. Benny’s name flashing on my screen. I answer it without hesitating.

“Benny I—”

“Why is your boy calling me to talk to you?” His tone is teasing but I can hear the edge in it.

“Because I’m an idiot.”

“Unfortunately, the answer is not so easy. But, you are making stupid decisions.” He sighs. “Come over to my place. I’m almost home. We’re going to fix this.”

“How—”

“We’re going to fix this.” he speaks each word distinctly.

“I’ll see you soon.” I feel stupid. I probably ruined it for good this time.

            Benny isn’t home yet so I sit on his stoop and wait for him. I was already halfway to his place when I took the tube. I pull up Harry’s number and consider texting him or, crazily enough, maybe even calling him. Before I can make any rash decisions Benny’s shadow falls over me and he shakes his head.

“Still, you bring me no flowers.” He reaches over me to unlock his door, letting me pick myself up and follow him in. He goes straight to the kitchen. “You’ve gone through almost all of my hot chocolate.” he shakes his head again and mutters something in Italian. The only sound is the milk on the stove. The sound of the glasses being set down on the counter and a spoon sliding onto the counter.

“He wouldn’t tell me what he wanted.” I can’t take the quiet anymore. “He—”

Benny holds a finger up and mixes in the chocolate, pours the cups, and brings it to the table. He takes a seat and pushes one of the cups to me.

“I just wanted him to tell me what he wanted.” I keep my voice relatively even this time.

He considers me, taking what has to be a too hot sip of cocoa. “What do you want for Christmas?” he asks.

“What?” I shake my head. “What does that have to—”

“What do you want?” He asks again.

“Nothing.” I scoff. “I have everything I want.”

“But you have to want something.” he presses.

“No, I don’t I—”

“Just tell me what you want, Evie.” he raises a brow as his antics make sense.

“That’s not fair.” I frown. “Harry deserves a real gift.”

Benny chuckles softly, but I don’t see what could possibly be funny.

“Benny—”

“Has it ever occurred to you that when you’re being yourself and when you’re being reasonable that you are his gift.” he wrinkles his nose. “This Evie is no fun. My Evie is wonderful and smart and funny when she’s not trying so hard.” he sighs, leaning forward into the table. “You cannot keep letting what was affect what is. I’m truly sorry you never got to experience Christmas as it should be, but you can, right now and the only one getting in the way is you. Get out of your own way.” he throws his arms up. “It’s painful to watch. I know you’re smarter than this.” he rolls his eyes. “Fighting over him not telling you what he wants. Really Evie?”

It does sound ridiculous when he says it. Everything feels less apocalyptic when he says it.

I take an almost too hot gulp of my hot coco and sigh. “You’re right.” I cradle the cup in my hand.

“Of course I am.” He grabs a bow from the table, peels off the sticker cover and sticks it to my head. I give him a flat stare. “I think it’s time to deliver his present.”

“I still don’t have a gift and I would still have to get ready.”

“You should move faster then.” He gets up and goes to open one of the cabinets

“I still need a gift.” I remind him. He reaches into the cabinet and pulls out a small box with a ribbon on top.

“Please, Evie.” He rolls his eyes exaggeratedly. “I know you better than you know yourself.” he hands me the box. I open it and inside is an I-Heart-America-keychain.

“You got it already.”

he shrugs. “Just in case you needed a backup.”

I push the chair away and throw my arms around him. “You’re the best.”

He pats me on the back. “I know.” he grabs me by the shoulder and leads me to the door. “Now, you are going to go to your boy, apologize profusely. Promise to work on your temper, give him this gift and take him to the dance.”

I nod refusing to let even one more argument escape my mouth. He pushes me out and closes the door behind me

 He pushes me out and closes the door behind me

Final chapter posted tomorrow!