Chapter 32

One month later (Epilogue pt. 1)
I rang the doorbell. Mia was the one to open the door and greet us. "Hey! I'm so glad you two could make it." She gave ths both of us a hug, before motioning us inside.

We followed her out into the backyard where everyone was already waiting. Niccolo stood in front of the grill cooking all kinds of Italian favorites, while Autumn helped Valeria bring out the sides from in the kitchen.

Marcellius was playing Marco Polo with a few of the kids in the pool, while others chased each other around.

I looked over at Evelyn, who was trying to get Cesare to stay off his feet. Despite his gunshot wounds having healed, doctor's say it's going to be a while before he's back to where he used to be.

"Stop being so stubborn," I heard her say. "You need to take it easy and give your body time to heal."

"But I feel fine, amore(love)," he groaned with a pout.

I looked away to see Miko and his wife Ebony approaching us. Miko was looking more and more like his father everyday, while Ebony was having a harder time walking with their first child being due any day now.

"Zia(Aunt) Roe!"

I stood on the tips of my toes and ruffled his hair. "Nipotino(little nephew)."

He glowered down at me. "You know I'm older than you, right?"

"That's because your daddy couldn't keep it in his pants," I commented with a laugh.

"Neither could yours," he joked, pinching my cheeks.

"Ha, ha, very funny," I replied dryly, before giving him a big shove into the pool.

Everyone burst into laughter, his cousins tackling him like Sharks the second they spot their prey.

"How are you and bambino Fierri(baby Fierri)?" I asked, hugging Ebony.

"Great!" She says with a smile. "I'm just ready for him to come out already. I want to see my feet again."

"The birthday girl is here and ready to par-tay!" We all turned at the sound of Javier shouting like a frat boy as he walked out with Mama Fierri on his arm.

It was her birthday today. She just turned seventy-five years old, which didn't seem right considering how much younger she looked in age.

"Buon compleanno(Happy birthday) Mama Fierri!" We all shouted simultaneously.

Once Niccolo had finished grilling the grigliata mista, Luca said prayer and we all dug in.

And after filling our stomachs with traditional Italian foods, Gelato, and alcohol for some of us, we headed back inside for some cake. We sang happy birthday to Mama Fierri in Italian and cut everyone a piece of cake.

Autumn offered me a piece, but I couldn't eat another bite. I was so full that I felt like I was going to burst out of my jeans.

I shared a look with Valeria and turned to Lorenzo, who was sitting beside me scarfing down his piece of chocolate cake. "I'll be right back."

He nodded, focused on his dessert. Rolling my eyes and chuckling, I joined Valeria and we locked ourselves into the nearest bathroom.

She grabbed the box from the mirror cabinet and handed it to me. "You ready?"

"No. But my period's late and I need to know."

"Do you want me to wait outside?"

I shook my head, my heart thumping in my chest. I swallowed the bile threatening to surface, my mind racing with all kinds of thoughts both good and bad.