Chapter 30

Lorenzo's POV
I'm going to fucking kill him!

The sound that came out of Rosalie was heart-wrenching. I felt like my heart had been carved out of my chest and repeatedly stomped on.

I should have known something was off when she didn't return after an hour. At first, I was upset that she lied to me about where she was going. But after learning from Marcellius that Cosimo had her, her having lied to me no longer became important to me.

Marcellius took his little brother to the hospital after sustaining gunshot wounds to the chest and leg when he and Rosalie were ambushed. So I asked Niccolo to help me rescue Rosalie and take down Cosimo.

He and his men went through the back of the house, while I took my men through the front. We shot every guard in sight, the adrenaline rippling through me like a tornado through a house.

"Cosimo!" I shouted, making my presence known to him.

"Down here," Niccolo ushered with a dip of his head, taking the lead.

We both had our guns loaded and ready to take out more enemies as we headed down into the cryptic looking basement. Niccolo shot and killed five more guys while I kicked down the door they were guarding and killed the two guards left standing.

Cosimo leapt behind Rosalie, who was covered in burn marks from where he had tortured her with the jumper cables he dropped. He whipped out a pocket knife, pressing the sharp blade near Rosalie's carotid artery.

"Don't tempt me, little Sin."

"Actually, it is you who shouldn't tempt me, Ricci." I aimed for his head and pulled the trigger just as his hand moved to slit Rosalie's throat.

He dropped the knife, falling backwards and hitting the ground with a thud. Niccolo came into the room, taking the scene before him. "Merda(shit)."

He helped me remove the chains around his sister's wrist, a fear in his eyes that I was very familiar with.

She fell limp into my arms and I straddled her in my arms, tucking a strand of her dark hair behind her ear. "Come on, baby," I cooed softly, leaning down to kiss her forehead. "I need you to wake up for me."

I looked up at her brother when she didn't budge.

"Keep talking to her," he urged, his voice filled with unease.

"I'm sorry for the way I treated you. And you don't have to prove to me or anyone that you're strong, because I know you are. You're a fighter. My fighter." A stray tear rolled down my cheek, her pulse beginning to fade. "Please don't leave me, sweetheart. I love you."

I sobbed into the crook of her neck, but pulled back when I heard the soft sound of her feeble voice. "Enzo?"

I cupped the back of her head, embracing her tightly. I exhaled deeply, not realizing I had been holding my breath the whole time. "I'm right here, baby. I'm right here."

****

I closed the door behind me, leaving her to get some rest. I walked back down to the first floor where I left her brothers waiting in the living room. "She's finally asleep."

Greta offered them each something to drink, preferably hard liquor to help them forget about the chaos of today. She offered me one, but I refused. She nodded, quickly slipping back into the kitchen.

Marcellius and Niccolo both stared at me, brows furrowed and arms crossed. "If you have something you want to say, then say it," I told them firmly, too mentally exhausted to sit around playing the guessing game.

"You told her you loved her," Niccolo said. "Do you really love our sister or was all that shit you said back there just you could get in her pants?"

"I love her so much it fucking hurts. And when I thought I lost her today I..." I fought back tears. "I've never loved anyone more than I do her."

Marcellius' intimidating gaze bore into me as if he were staring into the deepest depths of my soul. Although I've been under that death glare of his more times than I can count, it still makes the hair follicles on the nape of my neck stand.

"You know, she hated you so much that she wanted us to kill you. I even considered it. But then my mother told me to give you two a chance. So I pushed my plans aside."

I could see why they weren't so quick to believe me. We went from wanting and trying to kill each other to loving each other like we were the last two people on the planet in a span of almost four months.

"I don't expect you to ever believe or trust me. All I care about is her. And as long as she knows I love her, that's enough for me."

"I see," the oldest brother said, analyzing me closely. "I'll spare you for her sake. But if you do anything to hurt her ever again, I'll personally see to it that you join Papa and Mama Sin in the ground."

"Understood."

****

She pulled herself up into a more comfortable position, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "How long was I out?"

"A couple hours. Do you remember anything?"

"Not much." A memory seemed to flash in her mind like a picture. She lifted up her shirt, looking down at the burn marks Cosimo left on her lower abdomen. "It hurt at first, but after awhile, I felt nothing."

"Is that all you remember?"

"Yeah. Was there something else I was supposed to remember?"

"No, no, nothing." I disguised my disappointment with a smile and kissed the corner of her mouth. "You should get some more rest."

I stood up to leave, but she grabbed my shirt, gripping it tightly. I looked down at her hand, then back up at her. Her teeth sunk down into her lower lip, the look she was giving me having me internally struggling not to take her.

You would have thought she was an innocent angel with the way she looked up at me with those alluring eyes. But I knew the truth. And there was nothing innocent about this angel.

I arched a concerned brow. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just... I love you too."