Chapter 17

"Please tell me this is evidence of you two finally having fucked, and not you two trying to kill each other for the millionth time."

Lorenzo and I glanced at one another, a small smile forming on my lips. We focused our attention back on Javier, who looked about ready to shoot himself with the gun strapped to his waist.

"Neither," I responded.

Javier placed his hands on his hips, staring at the two of us with a look of skepticism etched into his features. "So you're telling me that this is you two getting along?"

We both nodded simultaneously, Javier's honey brown eyes taking in my busted lip, bruised cheek, and disheveled hair. Then bringing his gaze to Lorenzo, who was sporting a black eye, along with a bruised chin and rib.

"Yep," we both said in unison, finding humor in it all.

Javier is staring us like we are insane, a brow raised in confusion and a bit of curiosity. He sighs heavily, brushing his blonde tips out of his face.

"I think you guys need some serious professional help." He sighs once more, muttering, "maybe you two were meant for each other."

I don't look at Lorenzo that time. Although we were finally getting along- somewhat, there was still some tension floating between us.

I don't know if it's because our families never got along or what, but it's clear that boxing won't be enough to heal a wound like this. It's been festering for so long that I don't know if it will ever be able to fully recover.

Lorenzo winced in pain, clutching his sore rib. Javier helped his friend to the couch and ushered me to grab an ice pack.

I rushed into the kitchen, grabbed an ice pack from the freezer and raced back over to Lorenzo. Lifting his shirt, I pressed the cold pack directly onto the large purplish bruise and he twitched in response.

"Mi dispiace(I'm sorry)," I whispered, apologizing for the pain I'd caused him, surprising myself. I actually felt bad for hurting him, not just in the ring, but for yesterday when I stabbed him.

Lorenzo looked up at me, just as surprised as I was by my apology. "No witty remark or insult from the little bunny rabbit?"

"No, not this time," I answered softly, keeping my eyes on the ice pack to avoid meeting his gaze. "I guess I care more about you than I thought."

"Really?" He questioned, sounding genuinely surprised. I caught the smirk on his face and rolled my eyes. "There she is. The fiery girl I met at the club."

Looking down with a blush on my cheeks that I'm sure both Javier and Lorenzo noticed, I focused on the task at hand.

There was a moment of silence that filled the air, the tension no longer filled with hatred but awkwardness. I didn't know what to say, and it seems like neither did Lorenzo.

He folded his hand over mine and I flinched at the unexpected contact. I searched his eyes, trying to figure out what he was thinking, but of course, had no such luck. "I got it," he said, breaking the silence. "I survived a stab wound, so I think I'll be able to survive a little bruised rib as well."

I bit at my lower lip, wanting to change the subject. And then a question that I've always wondered the answer to came to mind. "What happened between our families? I mean why do they hate each other so much?" I asked Lorenzo, realizing I've been so busy trying to get him to give up and divorce me, that I never bothered to even ask.

"Have you ever heard of the saying, 'an eye for an eye'?" I nodded and Lorenzo continued. "Well, my father told me that my grandfather and your grandfather fell in love with the same woman. Which is rare, considering how hard it is for Mafia men to trust anyone. Anyway, she chose your grandfather. They got married and had a baby boy, which was your father, Giovanni."

"So your grandfather must of gotten angry, which is understandable. But how did that lead to all of this?"

"My grandfather was overcome with jealousy and rage that he murdered your grandfather in cold blood. In his mind, if he couldn't be with the love of his life, then neither could your grandfather. Too young to seek retribution, it wasn't until Giovanni turned eighteen that he retaliated. He ambushed my family's Mafia and killed everyone, including my grandfather. My dad was the only one who survived."

"So all of this hatred is over a woman?"

"Sì(yes). Love makes you do crazy things."

He spoke as though he had experienced it himself, so then I asked, "have you ever been in love?"

"No, I haven't," he replied, lowering his shirt and sitting up straighter. "But I know how much my father loved my mother."

I saw the way his adam's apple bobbed up and down, seeming to fight back tears. I also noticed the familiar look of pain in his eyes. A pain like that never fully heals.

"I'm sorry for your loss," was all I said.

I was afraid that if I had pried any further that he would retreat back to the cold, controlling man I've despised since the day I met him.

"I'm sorry for your loss as well."

Everytime I think Lorenzo's all out of surprises, he reveals a side of him that I never thought existed.

"Thank you."

****

Even though I knew it would take some time for the both of us to get to a point where we no longer saw each other as a threat, it damn sure felt great to finally be able to communicate without destroying each other and the house.

"Are you sure you don't need me to go with you to your meeting? I'm sure having a woman on your arm would-"

"Complicate things," he finished. I frowned, not sure how my presence would negatively affect the outcome of the meeting. "These men aren't anything like your brothers. They are barbaric men with sinister intentions."

"Have you forgotten who I am? I'm not afraid of anyone or anything."

"I haven't forgotten, but you're still not going."

I thought we were finally getting somewhere, but I guess I was wrong. Lorenzo's still distant and cold.

We aren't back to square one, but we also aren't where we need to be in order to make this arrangement work.

"Enzo-"

"The answer is no, Rosalie. So stop asking me," he barked, losing his patience.

Standing in the mirror to adjust his tie, I watched from a distance, wishing he we would stop looking at me like I'm weak and can't hold my own. I've probably killed more people than he has.

"This meeting shouldn't take me long if everything goes well." He turned to face me. "I expect you to be asleep when I return."

"And if I'm not?"

He glared at me, looking as though whatever had just popped into his head was sitting on the tip of his tongue.

I was disappointed when he swallowed his words and left. I was hoping he'd follow up my defiance with a mention of punishment.

As soon as he and Javier drove off to meet with another Mafia Boss to discuss whatever it is people in the Mafia discuss, I tore off my robe, revealing the dress I had hidden away underneath.

Greta gasped, eyeing the black dress I was currently wearing. She was most likely freaking out, because this dress isn't one Lorenzo would ever pick out for me. Especially one as short as this one. All I have to do is bend down and my panties would be exposed to whoever was within view.

"Please tell me you aren't going to do what I think you are."

"I'm not going to cause trouble. I just want to prove to Enzo that I'm more than an accessory."

"But you can't go. He'll kill you."

"That's a risk I'm willing to take."