Chapter One

Leonis Clayborne stirs his filter coffee. He was never much of a coffee drinker but Griffin has a way of growing on people from the things he does to the things he likes. Leonis stifles a yawn. Last night was another late night at Tundra, the nightclub that is jointly owned between himself, Griffin, Jericho and Archer. Leonis considers them his brothers. And in many ways Griffin his saviour.

It's a dramatic prospect but at its bare bones it's the truth. The cafe, Ruth's, is about a two hour drive out of town. It's small and dingey but Leonis knows none of his brother's would venture this far for a meal. They are a lot, his brothers, and they do not always understand that his 'job' at Tundra requires from him differently to what it does from them.

He manages the bouncers. He maintains working relationships with each of them individually. He works alongside them. He trains them, finds new bouncers when necessary and being a nightclub it is necessary for Leonis to be there from about four in the afternoon when the set up is happening. Tundra prides itself on having bouncers that do not harass the clientele, specifically females.

Leonis knows that this fact is something that weighs heavy on him. If the contrary should be proved it lands squarely on him. The doorbell jingles and Leonis looks up. A woman walks in and she pushes a pram in front of her. Leonis exhales loudly. The last thing he needs is the persistent sound of a baby crying. The woman sits down at a table just by the door directly in front of Leonis. She pulls the pram to her side then gently lifts the baby out of the pram. The baby is dressed in blue and Leonis can only assume he is a boy. He has on a blue romper and a knitted blue beanie.

The woman cradles the baby in her arms while holding a bottle to feed him with. A waiter walks to her table with a friendly smile and a notebook in hand. The woman looks up and Leonis realises he's staring. He drops his eyes back to his steaming filter coffee. His waitress walks to his table and sets down a stack of pancakes complete with syrup and bacon. His ultimate guilty pleasure.

"I hope you'll enjoy these while you still can Mr Phantom."

Leonis frowns. "Why do you say that Cindy?"

His waitress, the same waitress he has had since he began his rituals at Ruth, slips her notebook into her apron. She folds her arms over her chest then leans forward and admits in a hushed voice "rumour has it this place will be closing down soon. Hey if that fancy club of yours has any openings let me know would you?" Cindy flashes a smile.

Leonis chuckles at her joke. She was always very friendly and calm. "You're about two years too young but when the time is right come find me at that fancy club."

Cindy laughs and she walks to another table. Leonis immediately digs into his pancakes. The food at Ruth's is not that great but the pancakes are especially delicious. Leonis cuts into the stack and as he is about to place the food in his mouth the baby starts wailing. Leonis steals a glance at the scene in front of him. The woman is quickly setting her coffee down and she places the baby's bottle back into his mouth.

The woman shuts her eyes and sets her head back. Her hazel hair falls out, her face revealing a nose and cheeks speckled with freckles. She looks exhausted, just about as exhausted as Leonis himself. She pries her eyes open and smiles down at the baby in her arms. The baby stills and his small hands reach up against the side of the bottles.

Leonis can feel himself smile. He turns his attention back to his breakfast. Leonis begins a process of chewing his pancakes and swallowing his coffee. A few short months ago Archer's girlfriend Faye, moved in. The two had a rocky moment in their relationship and the two have been actively attempting to better their relationship through therapy which they are both vocal about. Leonis has admittedly a soft spot for Faye all his brother's do.

Faye has specific relationships with each of his brothers. And she is the most understanding of Leonis, second to Griffin. And she is pregnant. Leonis steals another glance at the woman and her baby. Soon there will be a crying baby in his home. Leonis had never liked the idea of having children of his own. He is happy for Archer and Faye but it is not a reality he would actively pursue for himself.

The baby's crying starts again. Leonis settles back in his chair. The waiter has set down a plate of food in front of the woman. She has set the bottle on the table to lift her fork and the baby is wailing terribly. The woman quickly drops her fork and lifts the bottle again, settling it into the baby's mouth. The woman chews down on her bottom lip. She looks quickly around the restaurant and Leonis drops his eyes again.

He taps his foot against the tiled floor feeling restless all at once. Leonis stands up and then hesitates. He sighs and walks to the woman's table.

"Uh ma'am, do you need a hand?"

The woman looks stunned. Her honey eyes widen and she frowns. She runs a tongue across her bottom lip. Her eyes dart around the restaurant nervously. Leonis huffs and pulls a chair out alongside the woman. He reaches for her knife and fork and begins cutting up her food. The woman adjusts in her seat to face Leonis. She has ordered what seems to be Full English. Up close she is incredibly beautiful with a pinched nose that is hesitant of this stranger wanting to help her. She has deep eyebags cutting in her cheeks and her fingers tremble slightly.

Leonis gathers a piece of toast, some egg and a piece of bacon. He holds the fork up to the woman's mouth holding his free hand under the fork to catch any food that should fall. The woman accepts the fork into her mouth that Leonis withdraws. She chews carefully and slowly. The two repeat the process in silence, alternating between breakfast and coffee. Once the breakfast is complete and the baby is asleep the woman exhales a slow quiet breath, hesitant to wake the sleeping baby.

"My name is Maia. And I cannot thank you enough, sir."

"Leonis. I'm Leonis. And you're welcome. Have you got it from this point?"

The woman nods her head as she eases the baby into the pram. With a final glance at the two of them Leonis stands up and starts walking to the table.

"Uh Leonis, wait please, I would like to pay for your breakfast."

Leonis finds himself smiling. It catches him off guard completely. He shakes his head.

"Please, that won't be necessary. I'm happy to have helped. Tell me something, what's the name of the little guy?"

"Atlas." She pushes the pram with a soft smile at him. A soft smile with a hint of sadness. Leonis finds himself wanting to push for more information but he doesn't; he instead walks back to his table.

Leonis settles down at his table and he drains the remnants of his coffee mug. He lifts a hand motioning for Cindy whosprings back to his table.

"The bill?"

"Yes please Cindy and uh just...that lady I'd like to pay for her meal too."

Cindy gasps with a warm smile. "Oh you're so sweet Mr Phantom! Two bills coming right up!"