Chapter Five

Maia waits until Leonis has stepped off the bed and left the room before she heads off his bed. She knows she shouldn't snoop but she can't help herself. It's been so long since she has been in the bedroom of a man, let alone a bedroom other than her own. Leonis' bedroom is surprisingly clean and tidy.

Maia pulls open his bedside drawers and inside there are only mini tissue packets, a bible and a phone charger. In the bottom drawer there is a large set of keys but nothing else. Maia walks to his book shelf and examines the books. There are a variety of books all stacked neatly in alphabetic and colour-coordination.

Atop the book shelf there is a number of ornaments including a sculpted statue, a vase with flowers and a number of large scented candles. Maia leans forward and sniffs at the candles as Atlas begins to fuss. She walks to the bed and lifts him out of his seat, cradling him against her chest. She walks to the window and peaks outside.

At the pool Leonis is sitting in the pool on what must be a step in the deep end. He is shaking his head with a small smile on his face and in front of him there are two guys, one much younger, likely a teenager, splashing about in the pool. Alongside the pool Griffin, Archer and Faye now clad in a bikini are lying on the loungers.

Maia turns back to the bed. She opens Atlas' bag and pulls out a bottle for him. She adjusts him on her arm and places the nip of the bottle at his mouth that he gladly accepts. Atlas fusses slightly then sets to work drinking down his formula. Maia holds the bottle in place with her chin as she clears Leonis' bed of it's clutter. Maia sits back down as she feeds Atlas, humming softly.

Maia's eyes fall back on the window and she knows with almost certainty there is no room for her in a life like this. A family like this. A family that gets to have days spent relaxing at the pool. Days with humour and fun. Atlas squirms again and Maia's eyes fall back on the little boy. She pulls the bottle away from him and sets it down on the bedside table. Maia lifts Atlas against her chest and she rocks him to sleep.

Leonis steps out the pool and he shakes a leg, water dripping from him as he does. He walks round to the loungers and settles on one beside Faye who is adjusting her sunglasses and rubbing a hand on her swollen belly. Leonis straightens in his seat, wiping his hand on the towel beneath him. He reaches over and gently holds a hand down on Faye's belly. Faye looks up at him with a smile.

"How is baby today?" Leonis asks, daring to tear his eyes from Faye's stomach.

"Baby's good, Lee. Making me quite tired I must admit but we're both okay. Hey...uh can I ask?"

Leonis shrugs and he settles back down in his lounger. "I saw her in a diner, alone with the baby, she couldn't even eat her breakfast and I just wanted to help."

Faye's eyes glisten as she grins, "thank you for helping her. Do you think it would be okay if I volunteered Arch and I for some babysitting? We could really use the practice."

Leonis shrugs again. "I don't know about that. Will have to speak to Maia. Let me go check on her. I'll be right back."

Archer leans across from his chair and he takes hold of Faye's hand. "Leon okay baby?" Faye nods her head. "He's fine. He's just going to check on Maia and Atlas. I really like the name Atlas." Archer grins with a glance at Griffin who is watching on from the top of his book with an amused smile. "Oh I thought we were naming our baby Griffin," Archer teases as Griffin sighs his disdain muttering "don't do that to an innocent child, Arch."

Leonis trots quickly through the kitchen and then into the foyer then down the passage to his bedroom. The door is still shut. He knocks softly twice and after no response he slowly pushes the door open. He walks into the bedroom. Maia is lying on her side with her back to the door. Leonis walks slowly around the bed to find Atlas squirming and Maia sound asleep. Leonis rests a knee on the bed lifting Atlas up gently. He straightens carefully carrying Atlas. He lifts Atlas' bag and he sets the strap down on his shoulder.

Leonis slips out the door, closing it shut firmly behind him. He walks down the passageway with a squirming and cooing Atlas who is drooling down Leonis' shoulder. Leonis can feel himself smile. It's a special overwhelming feeling that settles within him as he carefully holds Atlas. He can feel his eyes swell with tears and he swallows down hard, wondering if his mother ever had this feeling when she held him. If she held him enough to invoke a feeling. If she held him at all.

Griffin walks into the foyer tucking his book under his arm. He walks to where Leonis is standing and he eases Atlas out of Leonis' arms. He smiles at Atlas then at Leonis. Griffin steps forward and pulls Leonis into a hug with his free arm. Leonis allows himself to be hugged by Griffin, needing the closeness of family.

"If this is coming from the place of your feelings right now, it won't end well" Griffin tells Leonis in a low whisper. He straightens then.

Griffin coos at Atlas carrying him into the den. Griffin pushes some pillows off the couch and he lies Atlas down sitting down beside him. He holds a hand out and Leonis hands Atlas' bag to Griffin who sets it down on the couch beside him. He taps the seat and Leonis settles down on the couch too. Leonis unzips Atlas' bag and he pulls out a ring gummy toy that has dangling animals attached to it. He hands it to Griffin who holds it just above Atlas' face cooing at him and encouraging the playing.

Shortly after they are followed in by Faye, Archer, Jerry and Caelum who are sure to be gentle and quiet around Atlas to not frighten him. Caelum is particularly taken to Atlas. He sits down on the carpet to the left of Atlas with Griffin to his right. Griffin smiles warmly at Caelum.

"Ready for a little brother or sister Kid? Oh you won't be the kid for much longer huh Caelum?"

Caelum nods his head eagerly with a grin. "I'm hoping it's a girl. I've always wanted a younger sister. I actually have another name idea for the name glass."

Caelum stands up slowly and steps clearly away from Atlas before scrambling for the name glass that was his idea. A medium sized vase placed on the middle of the table with small pieces of paper placed around it with two small pencils for everyone to write their name suggestions for Archer and Faye to read through closer to the time of baby Phantom's arrival as the baby has become affectionately known.

Faye turns in her chair lifting her feet onto Archer's lap. He pulls her slippers off and rubs her feet as Caelum scribbles down a name, folds the paper up carefully and places it in the jar that is already quite full.

"What is the name?" Faye questions as Caelum pushes himself back to his feet. Caelum flushes slightly and he shakes his head. "Oh no, you'll have to wait."