Chapter Three

Cindy sets down two large plastic bags on the table with a beaming smile at Leonis and Maia.

"Orders up Mr Phantom! See you again soon ?"

Leonis nods his head. "Soon, Cindy."

Leonis stands up and gathers the two bags in one hand then reaches for the baby seat but he is interrupted by Maia who lifts the bag quickly, standing up. Leonis raises an eyebrow at Maia but says nothing. The two walk in silence to the parking area. Maia's car is still there and the only other car is a black SUV with darkened windows.

Maia inhales and exhales in a few short breaths. A dark car, lied about his name, come on Maia.

"Uh...Leonis, I think I've got it from here. But thank you for keeping me company this morning. It was nice to meet you."

Leonis shrugs with a hint of disappointment. He nods his head once with an almost low bow.

"It was lovely to meet you too Maia Barlow. Take care."

Maia remains planted on her feet and she watches as Leonis walks to his car. He digs for his keys inside his pocket and then unlocks the car. As if unable to stop herself Maia takes a step towards him then calls out to him.

"Leonis...wait, please."

Leonis glances over his shoulder then completely turns around.

"Why did you help me and then lie about your name?"

Leonis frowns. "Lie about my name?"

Maia sets the baby seat down on the hood of her car as Leonis walks back towards her. Atlas stirs in his seat. Leonis stops in front of Maia with an intense frown pulling at his eyebrows.

"I didn't lie to you Maia," Leonis states firmly.

Maia purses her lips. "Sure you did. You introduced yourself to me as Leonis Clayborne but the waitress called you Mr Phantom. Is that not a lie?"

Leonis smiles an unexpected smile. He reaches forward and gently brushes her hair out of her face. Promptly on cue Atlas begins sobbing loudly and he opens his big eyes that are filled with tears. Maia begins rocking the baby seat but it is to no avail. Leonis in a swift swoop drops his takeaway bags alongside Atlas and he eases the baby out of his seat. Atlas remains fussy for a few moments but at Leonis' rocking and back tapping he falls silent.

"I did not lie, Maia, but I can explain. I think this little guy needs a change. Come, you can change him in my boot, it's bigger than yours."

Leonis eases the takeaway bags off the car and begins his walk to his car as Maia unlocks her car and carries out Atlas' bag. She drops the bag into his car seat and she carries both to the boot of Leonis' car that is open. Maia opens the baby bag and she lays out a small blue towel. Leonis settles Atlas on to the towel and he takes a step back allowing Maia room to change Atlas.

"I didn't lie, Maia. Phantom is my brother's surname. When I first came here, to Ruth's, I asked our driver to make a reservation for me. I wasn't sure of what to expect and wanted to be prepared. He made the reservation under Phantom and I never corrected Cindy."

"So you and your brother have different surnames?" Maia glances over her shoulder and Leonis who is staring at his shoes has his arms crossed.

"Yes we do. If you would like to, I was going to take you to my home, where I live with my family. My soon to be sister in law, Faye, is expecting. I figured that maybe she can look after Atlas while you rest. You can spend the day with us and we will help."

Maia sets Atlas into the baby seat placing a dummy in his mouth. Maia rubs a hand on his chest and he grins, drool dropping down his chin. Leonis straightens and he stands beside Maia, their arms brushing against each other. The two smile down at Atlas who is reaching for his feet and cooing through the dummy in his mouth.

"Why would you want to help me?" Maia demands in a soft gentle voice to not scare Atlas. Beside her Leonis stiffens slightly.

"He's lucky to have you. But I know it's a lot for a mom too, a single mom. You haven't mentioned much about your family or his. But I have a big family. A good family and they would be willing to help. Will you let me help?"

Maia muses on the idea for a moment. She nods her head. "Atlas doesn't take to people well. Certainly not strangers and yet you were able to pick him up without so much of a fuss. Please don't disappoint us, Leonis."

"You mean, don't hurt you, either of you, and you have my word. I won't. I'll have your car brought to my home. May I have the keys?"

Maia hesitantly hands Leonis her car keys. He smiles briefly at her. "Why don't you and the little guy get settled in? I'm just going to make a call and leave your keys with Cindy. Do you need anything from your car?"

Maia shrugs, "I'm not sure. I don't think so."

Leonis nods and walks towards Maia's car as she straps Atlas into the back seat and then herself into the passenger seat. Maia taps her foot, looking behind her at Atlas who is still entertained by his own legs.

"I think we're okay baby boy," she assures him in a low whisper.

Shortly after Leonis hops into the driver seat. He hands Maia her purse and then his phone and wallet. Maia frowns at him with a look of question. Leonis straps his seatbelt and adjusts his rear view mirror.

"You don't know me," he explains, "so you hang on to my phone and wallet as a precaution. I've unlocked it. You call the police at any point. Ask me to stop at any point and I will. Ask me to take you and Atlas anywhere and I will."