Chapter Four

Leonis pushes the front door open of the large house. And he ushers Maia in as she clutches onto the handle of the baby seat. Just as they step into the house Maia becomes hyper aware of the thumping music and loud chattering coming from the house.

From around a room to the right a short woman with thick dark hair steps into the foyer where Leonis and Maia are standing. She is visibly pregnant but not heavily yet. She is dressed casually in a cream dress that reaches the floor and is strappy with a low cut back. After her comes a tall man with delicate wisps of blonde hair and glistening blue eyes. He rests a hand on her belly fondly with a kiss to her forehead.

Maia shifts uncomfortably from foot to foot and Leonis settles a hand on his shoulder. The two seem oblivious to Maia and Leonis and little Atlas. After the two of them an incredibly striking man walks out the room. He is shirtless in a pair of black board shorts with hair that is tied up carelessly behind his head. He has bits of hair that hang around his smiling face. The man turns and his eyes fall on Maia and Leonis.

He seems taken aback but the only thing that changes on his face is his smile. At his look the other two turn and face them. The woman's eyes widen and she flicks her hair over her shoulder. She walks to where Maia and Leonis are standing with a warm smile and flushed cheeks.

"Hi Lee," she says with a quick hug. He kisses her cheek with a flash of a smile. She steps back resting a hand on her belly and she holds her free hand out to Maia. "Hi, I'm Faye, welcome to the compound. Who is this little guy?" Faye leans forward and she holds a hand out to Atlas. As if on cue Atlas spits out his dummy and clasps onto Faye's finger chewing on it with his gums. Faye chuckles glancing up at Maia.

"This is Maia," Leonis explains "she'll be hanging out with us for the afternoon. This is Atlas. He's cool."

The blonde haired man laughs at Leonis' statement and he walks forward as Faye straightens. He wraps an arm around Faye's shoulders and he also holds a hand out. "Hi there, I'm Archer and this is my lady and my baby. It's lovely to meet you Maia, please make yourself at home here. He's a beautiful boy."

Maia smiles a thank you as the final man walks slowly towards the little group. Maia swallows as he walks towards her with unwavering eye contact. He comes to a halt just in front of Maia and he holds his hand out. Maia extends her hand and he swoops it, pressing his lips to her knuckles. Maia can feel herself blush and although she wants to pull her hand away she doesn't. Intrigued by the man.

"Hello Maia, I'm Griffin. It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm sure. May I?"

Griffin gestures for the baby seat and Maia complies, handing him the seat by the handle. Griffin accepts the baby seat and he lifts it slightly with a soft gentle smile at Atlas. Atlas holds his arms with a shriek and laughter. Griffin hands the seat back to Maia then tucks his arms behind his back.

"Lee," he directs at Leonis in greeting, "perhaps you'd like to show Maia around? I'll be back in a few. Oh and Arch? Faye? Can you two see to those two animals outside? We'd hate to scare Atlas. Maia, please feel welcome here."

With that he walks away from the group Maia finds herself disappointed but she remains silent. Leonis nods at Archer and Faye He ushers Maia down a passageway to their left and he comes to a halt at a shut door to the right of the passageway. He turns the door handle and pushes the door open. He steps into the bedroom that is surprisingly neat.

There is a large double bed to the left wall with a blue and white duvet coupled with a series of pillows, a blue throw and matching curtains. In front of the bed, on the floor, there is a thick fluffy carpet. To the right wall there are two white book shelves with books on them and a series of ornaments on top of the shelves. There's a short passage just behind the door leading to a walk-in closet and en suite bathroom.

Maia sets the baby seat down on the bed complete with her handbag. Leonis sets down Atlas' bag and he smiles down at Atlas. "This is my room," he tells her "you can always come here, or leave Atlas here if he needs to rest. You can leave your things here or just hang out here."

Maia walks around the room. She looks out the window and before her is a large garden, a swimming pool and Faye and Archer lying on pool loungers beside each other and inside the pool to unknown males are swimming laps, racing each other. Maia turns back to face Leonis and as he does Griffin knocks shortly on his bedroom door with a dazzling smile at Maia. Leonis, with a look at Maia slips outside the room easing the door closed behind him.

Griffin leans against the wall, arms crossed, after having changed into jeans and a long sleeved cotton shirt. He looks at Leonis intently followed by an exaggerated eye roll. "I always wondered where you went on Saturday mornings. Never understood how you had the energy for it, but you show up with a woman and a baby? Frankly I'm hurt."

Leonis huffs with a short exhale. He mimics Griffin's body language. "It's not what it looks like Fin."

Griffin chuckles "of course it's not, Lee. Want to talk about it?"

"We met this morning at Ruth's, she's alone with the kid, she needs help. I wanted to help."

"Lee...I know-"

"-Fin. Please, she needs help. We can help. This will be good for Faye and Archer too. She's alright..."

Griffin nods his head. "Let me go talk to Jerry. Will you two be joining us outside?"

Leonis shrugs. "Maybe. Thank you for understanding."

Griffin begins his walk down the passage then turns back to face Leonis. "I'm not pushing it for now but we'll need to talk soon."

Leonis nods once. He waits until Griffin is out of sight before he slips back into the bedroom. Maia is sitting on the bed, having kicked her shoes off. She crosses her legs cradling Atlas in her arms. Leonis eases the door closed and he stands leaning against it, in complete silence.

Maia looks up at him with a soft, tired smile. She eases Atlas into the seat and reaches up and unties her hair. Her copper strands spring around her face and she runs a hand through it. Leonis walks to the bed and he sits down in front of Maia with a short smile at Atlas.

"Your family seems lovely. You were right about that. But they're not really your family though."

"Of course they are really my family. Would you like to join us at the pool?"

Maia shakes her head. "Not at the moment, if you don't mind I'd like to just rest."

Leonis nods and stands up. "Make yourself comfortable, Maia. Shall I take Atlas?"

Again Maia shakes her head, "no thank you. I will just feed him and put him down for a nap."

Leonis nods again and he walks out the door.