Sarparast-۳

" Amma where is that stupid daughter of yours?" Jamaal seethed as soon as he entered the house.

Aabeda sighed in exasperation hearing him scream like that. She had warned her bahu about this but when had that girl ever listened!

" I told her that you'd be mad once you're home" Aabeda shrugged as she cut the potatoes.

Seerat had been craving for potatoes lately and that's what they've been having every other day in different forms. She knows for a fact that once this phase passes, the girl would be repelled by the mere thought of aloo!

" Mad? I'm not mad" Jamaal said in a calm voice, his eyes searching all over for his wife, " I'm apoplectic!" He gritted out when he still didn't see her.

" Is she at her house?" Jamaal asked as he wore his sandals again.

" Scurried off like a mouse as soon as she realised her folly" his mother laughed remembering her daughter's pale face.

" Good" was all he said before stomping over to his Chachu's place.

He unlatched the gate furiously before marching in the aangan when he felt a small furball scratching at his legs, mewling in delight. Jamaal felt his anger dissipating to an extent as he bent down to pet the kitten who had found a home in their family. The same kitten his wife would be obsessed with everytime they came here. And that reminded him of the purpose of his visit.

" Not now Sarkaar, I've to set that silly girl straight!" Jamaal muttered as he scratched behind the kitten's ears who leaned even more in his touch.

Just like it does with his wife. His wife who named the kitten Sarkaar!

He'd never be able to decipher the tangent her mind works on!

" Be a good boy" he smiled down at the innocent little animal and got up to go find his wife.

" I was waiting for you" Muneera said humourously as she greeted her son-in-law at the door.

" You should have scolded her before I even came here" Jamaal shook his head and entered inside.

" Oh trust me I did!" Muneera said seriously and then added as an afterthought, " she's in her room."

Jamaal nodded at his mother-in-law in response and watched her walk away.

" Are you kidding me?" Jamaal yelled as soon as he entered her room.

Seerat who was standing up on a chair, fixing her curtains was startled hearing his voice and lost her balance, a scared scream leaving her lips.

" Sshhh! I've got you" Jamaal muttered in her hair, his arms holding her against his heart that was hammering in fear.

" Jamaal..." Seerat whispered softly, her hands wrapping tightly around her husband who was walking to her bed.

" It's okay minx, you're safe" his voice wobbled which he hid from her as he laid her down gently.

" What were you doing up there?" He questioned, his lips on her face as if reassuring himself that she's safe.

" I wanted to sleep but the curtains were not drawn and when I went to close them I saw the stains at the bottom and I had to wash..." Seerat said in a jittery tone, still imagining what could have been had her husband not caught her in time.

" I try to keep calm but you're really testing my patience here minx. Everytime I tell myself that this is the last time you're ever putting yourself in harm's way, you go ahead and do something even more foolish" Jamaal sat up in anger, his fingers pushing back the hair from his forehead.