Chapter 6

"I AM NOT THE ENGINE I WAS! I AM NOT THE ENGINE-"

Gordon was cut off by himself when he opened his eyes. He wasn't in a graveyard, Tidmouth Sheds, the pawn shop or even the middle of the city. He was home.

"I'm alive? I'M ALIVE! I'M HERE!"

Gordon woke up with such energy. He thought for a moment unsure of what to do.

"I'm as merry as a young engine! I have to do something! First I must make sure everything was true."

Gordon looked around his shed to look for signs that all the things he saw were true. He looked over to a picture of Marley.

"OH THANK YOU MARLEY! THANK YOU FOR WARNING ME OF MY FAITH!"

Gordon puffed outside. He opened the shed door to the sound of bells and the fall of snow in the morning. He looked now at the ground to see Philip pass by him.

"You there! Philip! Tell me, what is today?"

"YOU KIDDING ME?! IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY!"

Gordon smiled from ear to ear.

"It's Christmas Day and I haven't missed it! The spirits did it all in one night! And why not?! They can do anything they want!"

"Uh...yeah sure, Gordon. Well I got to go now. Good luck Gordon."

Gordon huffed all the way back to Tidmouth Sheds, looking more merry than ever! The other engines were surprised to see Gordon here.

"Gordon, what are you doing here?" Henry asked.

Gordon looked at the other engines, and took a deep breathe.

"First, I want to apologize for my actions last night. I had some guidance from someone I knew, and now, I am here to celebrate Christmas with all of you!"

All the engines were shocked, and happy for their friend.

"Well, come on! It's not a Christmas Party without me!"

Gordon was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more;  He became as good a friend, as good a role model, and as good a engine, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good world. Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms. His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him.

He had no further intercourse with Spirits, but lived upon the Total Abstinence Principle, ever afterwards; and it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! And so, as Edward observed, God bless Us, Every One!

The End!

Merry Christmas, everyone!