Chapter 4

Gordon was sound asleep. After what he had seen by going through is past with the Ghost of Christmas Past, he started to think about what he did wrong. Could he really change? Will he let himself change? All these thoughts were cut short once again by the sound of a bell.  And that's when he saw an silver LNER A4 in front of him in the middle of the shed. The engine looked like Spencer but he seemed more...wiser.

"HELLO GORDON! MERRY CHRISTMAS! COME LOOK UPON ME!"

"Spencer? Is that you? What are you doing in my house?!"

"Oh my dear fellow you mistaken me! I'm the Ghost of Christmas Present! Now I ask you again, come and look upon me!"

"Alright, alright!"

"I beat you haven't seen the likes of me before huh?!"

"Well other than Spencer but you never!"

There was an awkward silence, before Gordon spoke up.

"So spirit, what have you come to teach?"

"Come follow me, I will show you everything!"

 The shed went away in a cloud of mist. Gordon closed his eyes.

When Gordon opened them, he saw that he was outside in the day time in the middle of the city. He looked around and saw children playing, people buying and selling and singing.

"It's Christmas Morning Gordon!"

As they walked through the city, Gordon saw many things he never looked at before. He saw the large amount of food being sold at every corner, gifts and toys being sold to kids and the aid groups helping those in need. The thing that caught his eye the most was the prize turkey. It was so big is barely sat on the store window.

"As you can see here Gordon, Christmas is a wonderful time! And before you ask no one can see us. These are shadows of the day ahead for you tomorrow."

"Who's to say I will be out here? For all you know I could be still asleep!"

"Ah yes but if you know what is good for you, you will do it otherwise your faith will come quicker than you think."

"Great to know. Where are we going anyway?"

"Someone you know too well in this day and age. Ah here we are!"

Gordon followed the spirit to a shed, and it felt very familiar to him.

"Spirit, this is Tidmouth Sheds? Why are we here?"

"To show you that even engines can have fun at Christmas. Let's go inside."

When they entered inside, Gordon had a look around. He saw his friends having fun singing songs and telling stories. Gordon even caught a glimpse at Edward. He looked very tired and worn out but the other engines helped him as much as they could.

Gordon noticed that Edward could barely stand.

"He seems...so weak. Why is that spirit?"

"Some people just can't pay for things such as health, they can just only hope."

"Tell me spirit, will Edward...die?"

"I see a chair with a cane beside it, with no one sitting on it. If the future isn't changed, the poor engine will die."

"OH NO! PLEASE SPIRIT HOW COULD HE DIE?!"

"Why shouldn't he die? He will decrease the surplus population. I bet you are wishing you never said those words now."

"Like you wouldn't believe."

Henry stood up to make a toast.

"Let's raise a glass to Gordon! The founder of this feast!"

"THE FOUNDER OF THIS FEAST INDEED! IF HE WAS HERE I GIVE A PIECE OF MY MIND TO FEAST UPON!"

"But guys, it's Christmas. Surely we can at least wish him a happy one?"

"Fine, but this is for your sake and not his. A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Gordon."

Gordon felt a knot in his boiler. He was happy to see that his friends did respect him but wasn't too happy to know that Edward hated him so much.

"Spirit, I had enough. Can we go somewhere else?"

"Yes, let's do that."

It was now night time on Christmas Day and they were outside of Knapford Station. The lights beamed around the outside and into the night sky. Gordon was quick to know that it was Sir Topham Hatt's Christmas Party that he was invited to.

"Oh my Sir Topham! I wonder what he is like tonight?"

"Well let's go see shall we?"

They went inside and hear a roar of laughter. The main room was full of people playing a word game. Gordon watched as it was Sir Topham Hatt's turn.

"Is it a horse?"

"No."

"A cow?"

"No."

"An ass?"

"Well... yes, and no.."

Suddenly, Lady Hatt stood up.

"I GOT IT! IT'S YOUR NUMBER 4 GORDON ISN'T IT!"

"YES! Well done Peach! Sure he may be an ass but in reality, he did give us a wonderful time. So for that, here is to Gordon."

Gordon had tears rolling down his eyes.

"Aw they still act as if I was the best man in the world."

"You can be if you change. Now come with me."

The two were in a grave yard. Something about it just made the jolly mood go away inside of Gordon

"Um..spirit, why are we here?"

"You see, my time upon this globe is over. Your final Ghost is about to come. Since you don't want to waste anytime, I brought you here. Be warned, what you are about to see will all happen if you don't change your ways. It would be wise to keep note of what you see. Good luck Gordon, you will need it.'

"SPIRIT! DON'T GO YET! THERE IS STILL MUCH I WANT TO SEE!"

It was too late. The ghost was gone and the clock stroke midnight. The time Gordon was scared of was coming to him and he had no way of fighting it. He just had to wait and see what will happen to him.