The Story

"In the end, she became more than what she expected. She became the journey, and like all journeys, she did not end, she simply changed directions and kept going."

Lexie took a deep breath before standing up.
"You don't want to hear, in detail, how he murdered Rylan and I don't want to be the one who has to tell you that story."
The room turned quiet.
"Actually, I do." Beth said eventually.
Lexie's eyes widened.
"I have to know—"
"—and I'd rather hear it from you."
"I'm not sure."
"Please." Beth begged.
Lexie took a deep breath before sitting back down.
"Alright."
Beth gave her a smile.
"Rylan and I were hiding under a table in the library when Winston came in. He shot the librarian before opening fire—"
"—once I was sure that he had left I came out from under the table. Rylan grabbed my arm and that's when I noticed that she was shot."
Lexie took a deep breath.
"I tried to stop the bleeding, but I couldn't. So, I went to the nurse's office down the hall for supplies."
Lexie paused as the picture of the bodies of her peers, laying in a puddle of their own blood, reappeared. She had tried so hard to forget but the picture was engraved in her memory. That picture still hunted her at night.
"When I got back Rylan was starting to lose consciousness, from the blood loss. While I was trying to help her Winston had come back."
Lexie could feel a tear ran down her face.
"He pulled me away from Rylan, throwing me against one of the bookshelves—"
"—I tried to get back to Rylan, because I was not going to give up on her—"
"—but Winston shot me, in my right hip and I fell to the ground."
Lexie took a deep breath, trying to hold herself together.
"When I looked up, I was staring right at the muzzle of his gun."
Lexie could feel another tear ran down her face.
"Winston knocked me unconscious with it, but at the time I believed he had shot me in the head, killing me instantly—"
"—however, I woke up at the hospital and I was hopeful that Rylan had also made it. But she didn't, she barely even made it to the hospital."
The room turned quiet again. Lexie was looking over at Beth, who was staring straight ahead. Unable to read her face Lexie stood up a second time.
"Thank you—"
"—I'm sorry I made you go through that again, but I had to know."
Lexie nodded.
"Don't make me tell this story in court."
Lexie made her way over to the front door and left the house, not planning to ever come back.

When Lexie came downstairs the next morning a letter was waiting for her on the kitchen counter. Lexie's heart dropped as it could only be one thing, her subpoena.
"It's not from Seattle Municipal Court." Derek said as he entered the room.
Lexie gave him a confused look.
"Then who is it from?"
Derek shrugged his shoulders.
"There is only one way to find out, to open it."
Lexie nodded as she opened the envelope. She took a deep breath before reading out loud.

Dear Lexie,

As I said earlier, I can't just drop the charges. I must stand up for my son and give him the justice that he deserves.

However, I couldn't stop thinking about what you said. Grey Sloan failed to protect my son, but it was nothing in comparison to how Bellevue High failed him. If they had given him the care that he so desperately needed, none of this would've happened. So, I'm dropping the charges against Grey Sloan.

I'm thankful that you told me your side of the story and I can only imagine how it must have felt for you. I don't want you to go through that again, you've had enough pain for a lifetime. My lawyer will make sure that you will not have to testify in court.

I hope this brings you some peace and that you'll be able to slowly move on with your life. I wish you all the best.

Kind regards,
Beth

The life in front of you is far more important than the life behind you and Lexie was finally able to see that. She had been standing in the past with one leg and in the future with another.
"I—"
Lexie took a deep breath.
"I'm—"
"—I'm finally free." Lexie said with a shaking voice.
Derek walked over to Lexie, wrapping his arms around her, holding her tight. Lexie could feel the tears run down her face. She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom.

A few years later

"A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors—"
"—today, you are the doctors." Derek said as he opened the door to the OR.
Lexie could feel her heartbeat rise with excitement as she stepped into an OR for the very first time.
"The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point—"
"—eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave—"
"—this is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That's up to you."
Lexie was looking at the other interns and a few of them were staring at her.
"Isn't she the Chief's daughter?" One intern whispered to another.
Lexie just looked at them and once they noticed that she could see and probably hear them they looked away.
"Alright everybody—"
"—It's time to find out who your resident will be and whom you'll be listening to from now on—"
"—but first, let's get you guys into some scrubs."

Lexie was sitting on one of the benches in the locker-room, when another intern approached her. He had dark, wavy, brown hair and bright green eyes.
"Do I know you?"
Lexie gave him a confused look.
"I don't think so."
The intern stared at her for a few more seconds.
"You are the spitting image of Dr. Grey—"
"—wait, you're the Chief's daughter, aren't you?"
Lexie smiled at him.
"Yes, I am, and you are?"
"Milton Crawford."
Milton held out his hand.
"I'm Lexie Shepherd—"
"—nice to meet you."
Lexie shook his hand.
"I'm with Dr. Lestrange, you?"
"Same."
"I heard they call her Bellatrix and not only due to her looks."
"At least we'll be tortured together."

A resident entered the locker-room.
"Crawford, Morgan, Siddique, Mónet and Shepherd are with Lestrange—"
"—she's down the hall."
"Here we go." Milton said as he and Lexie made their way over to meet their new resident.
Milton was right, she looked just like Bellatrix with her long black curls and something about her made Lexie feel uncomfortable. Dr. Lestrange looked up from her chart, turning to her new interns.
"I have five rules, memorize them—"
"—rule number one don't bother sucking up. I already hate you, that's not going to change."
Dr. Lestrange stepped aside, revealing the pagers that were lying on the counter of the nurse's station.
"Rule number two, you'll answer every page at a run."
Lexie, as well as the other interns, grabbed a pager from the counter.
"Rule number three, don't wake me when I'm sleeping unless your patient is dying—"
"—rule number four the dying patient better not be dead when I get there."
Lexie carefully raised her hand, making Dr. Lestrange sigh.
"Yes."
"You said five rules—"
"—that was only four."
"Rule number five, when I move you move."
They were all staring at Dr. Lestrange, full of anticipation, but nothing happened.
"Alright move!"

Grey's Anatomy - How to Save a Life (Coming soon)
Alexia Frances Shepherd is an intern at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. Her father is the Chief of Surgery and her mother head of General Surgery.

What happens when she's falling behind and unable to live up to everyone's expectations? It's not like she can go to her resident for help.

Milton is one of Lexie's few friends, because who wants to hang out with their bosses daughter?

Will she make it through her internship and become a surgeon, just like her parents or is she destined to walk a different path?

Thank you all so much for support this story and I hope to see you again with my next story.

I'd love to hear your suggestions for storylines so please let me know!

xxx Femke