No Good in Goodbye

"Hold on to the memories, because life changes so quickly that sometimes that's all you're left with."

"Dr. Grey, a word."
"I can't, I'm with a patient—"
"—it wasn't a request." Owen interrupted.
Meredith looked at him and by the look on his face she could tell something was wrong. She immediately took of her gloves, throwing them in the trash before following him. Not a single word was said on their way over to the nearest conference room.
"You cannot be in the ER today." Owen said as he closed the door behind him.
"You can't do that—"
"—you're going to need all the help you can get once that big emergency of yours comes in."
"It's a high school shooting."
"I'm fine. Besides, Derek lived and so did the rest of us."
Owen looked Meredith directly into her eyes.
"The victims are from Bellevue high school."
Meredith sat down at the table, taking a deep breath. She was staring at Owen, waiting for him to say something.
"We don't know—"
Owen took a deep breath.
"—all we know is that there is a shooter at Bellevue high school and that your daughter could be injured—"
"—or dead." Meredith added.

Earlier that day.

As Lexie walked downstairs, she couldn't help but notice a burnt smell. She rushed over to the kitchen, assuming that's where the smell came from. Once Lexie had entered the kitchen the smell really hit her.
"Pancake?"
Lexie shook her head. Her mother rarely cooked, which was probably for the best.
"Are you sure?"
Lexie looked over at the pan one more time before nodding. She walked over to the fridge, grabbing some milk for her cereal before sitting down and the counter. Her mother was staring at her so, Lexie stared back; waiting for her mother to say something.
"I'm not allowed to tell you this but—"
"— Winston got admitted to our psychiatric floor yesterday." Meredith said after a little while.
Lexie almost chocked on her cereal.
"It's a good thing—"
"—he cut me out of his life just as easily as he did the rest of the school. Like our friendship meant nothing to him." Lexie interrupted.
Meredith walked to the other side of the counter and sat down next to her.
"I know—"
Meredith put her arm around Lexie and gave her a hug.
"—you will be fine to."

A little later Meredith pulled over at the high school.
"Your dad will pick you up, however he might be a little later—"
"—because of his surgery, I know."
"Could you ask him to let me know if it is going to take a lot longer?" Lexie added.
"Of course."
Lexie opened the door and stepped out of the car.
"Love you."
"Love you too." Lexie said with a smile before closing the door.
She watched how her mom drove away before going inside.

During lunch Lexie sat down alone at a table, in the corner of the cafeteria. The school was full of people, but she had never felt more alone. Lexie was looking around and couldn't stop staring at the football team. Winston used to be one of them, but it seemed like he was never there at all. They were all just laughing and having a good time, like nothing ever happened. Lexie just couldn't understand how they did it.
"There you are." Rylan said.
She sat down opposite of Lexie.
"Who are we staring at?"
Lexie didn't respond so; Rylan turned her head to see it for herself.
"I never understood how Winston could be with them—"
"—they were supposed to support him when he came out." Rylan added.
Lexie nodded.
"Are you okay?"
Lexie knew she wasn't supposed to tell Rylan but, Winston was her friend too and she deserved to know.
"Winston got admitted to the psychiatric floor at Grey-Sloan."
Rylan's eyes widened. She took a few bites out of her sandwich before responding.
"Maybe it's a good thing—"
"—how is that a good thing. There is nothing psychologically wrong with him, he is just into men." Lexie interrupted.
"There is something psychologically wrong and not because he is gay. There is something wrong because of the way he has been treated. By his football team, by the school and even by his own family."
Lexie nodded.
"I just mis him." Lexie said after a small pause.
"Me too."

Lexie had just finished her last class.
"I wish I had your timetable; you get to go home way earlier than the rest of us." Rylan said as they walked out of the classroom.
Lexie grabbed her phone.
"Looks like I won't be going home after all."
"Is your dad caught up at work, again?"
Lexie nodded.
"Maybe you should try the school bus one day."
"The nearest bus stop isn't anywhere near my house so, I guess I'll be going to the library until my dad picks me up."
"I'll meet you there after my last class." Rylan said with a smile.
Lexie smiled back before they each went their separate ways.

Lexie was about to enter the library when she ran into the school counselor.
"Miss Shepherd—"
"—I haven't seen any college applications yet, how come?"
Lexie had no idea what she wanted to do after high school. Everyone was assuming she would be going to MED school, including her parents. How was she supposed to tell her parents, who are both incredible surgeons, that she might not be following in their footsteps?
"We haven't had the time to look for collages yet, both of my parents are very busy."
"You should make time; January 15th is closer than you think." the counselor said before walking off.
Lexie took a second before entering the library.

"Sometimes doors open, and you enter a new part of your life. Not knowing you might never be able to walk out that door again and go back to life as you once knew it."