Piece by Piece

"A girl who has lived through trauma has lived through a situation where her body, her mind, her self was not her own. Where she felt disjoined, ripped from her self, safety, and sanity. It was a moment, an experience, a something where her trust was smashed, her worth was gone and all there was, was pain—"

Day one

Lexie started crying as she was lying on the cold and hard floor. Dr. Bailey helped Lexie sit up, she was now sitting with her back against the side of the bed.
"I just—"
"—I can't—"
"—I can't do this."
Lexie took a deep breath in and slowly exhaled. 
"I got you."
Dr. Bailey wrapped her arms around Lexie, holding her tight.
"I got you."
A little later Lexie found herself back in bed, but she couldn't quite remember how she got there. When she turned her head, she saw that there was someone sitting in the chair by her bed. For a second, she thought that it was Winston, causing her to startle. Taking a closer look, she noticed that it wasn't him, it was a woman.
"I am Dr. Wyatt, your therapist."
Lexie shook her head.
"I don't need a therapist."
Lexie turned her head back, towards the ceiling. "Do you know what happened?"
"Winston escaped from psych, again, and came to my room—"
"—of course, I didn't like that, you wouldn't either but that doesn't mean that I need therapy—"
"—stuff happens!"
Dr. Wyatt sighed and neither one of them said another word.

Lexie turned her head towards the window, looking into the hallway. Dr. Bailey seemed to be arguing with a police officer. Lexie wanted to know what they were talking about, but the door to her room was closed. It seemed like Dr. Bailey was trying to prevent him from going inside, she just wasn't successful.
"Good afternoon—" The officer said as he entered the room.
"—I'm officer Julio Perez, from the Bellevue Police Department."
Lexie turned her head towards Dr. Bailey.
"You don't have to answer any of his questions if you don't want to."
"Don't worry Dr. Bailey, she probably wasn't going to anyways." Dr. Wyatt said as she stood up.
Dr. Bailey gave Dr. Wyatt a look but before she could say anything about its Perez started talking.
"It would really help us with the investigation if you could answer a few questions."
Lexie took a moment to think. She did not feel like talking about what happened but, she wanted to do everything she possibly could to prevent Winston from hurting anyone else. He had already caused enough pain.
"See, she doesn't want to answer your stupid questions." Dr. Bailey said as she made her way back over to the door.
Perez looked at her for a few more seconds before also turning around. Lexie took a deep breath.
"Wait—"
"—I'll do it."
By the look on their faces Lexie could tell that none of them were expecting for her to cooperate.
"Good luck getting anything out of her." Dr. Wyatt whispered to Perez before leaving the room.
Dr. Bailey turned to Lexie.
"Are you sure?"
Lexie nodded.
"Alright, just remember that no one is making you do this." Dr. Bailey said before leaving the room.
Perez started off with a few generic questions, but quickly moved on.
"First of, let's talk about the shooting. Where were you when the alarm went off?"
"In the library—"
"—Winston came in shortly after and stared to shoot around?"
"Is that how you got shot?"
Lexie shook her head.
"No—"
The officer gave her a confused look.
"—he came back a second time."
"What happened in the meantime?"

As she was telling the officer what had happened, she tried to focus on the facts and suppress her feelings. Unlike Dr. Wyatt he came for the facts. Perez didn't care about how it made her feel, all he cared about was collecting the pieces of the puzzle.
"Good, if you are willing to testify, I think we have a change he'll be spending the rest of his live behind bars."
Lexie shook her head.
"Winston is not a bad person—"
Perez gave her a confused look.
"—bad things happened to him. He doesn't deserve to be put away in prison, he should get physiological help."
"After everything he did to you, you are still protecting him?"
Perez shook his head before leaving the room.

Day two

Dr. Bailey entered the room and by the look on her face Lexie knew what she was here for.
"May I?"
Lexie nodded; like she could say no to the chief. Dr. Bailey took a few more steps towards her.
"I have OCD and I didn't want help either, because I thought there was nothing wrong with me—"
"—but without the therapy and without the medication I wouldn't be standing here."
Dr. Bailey grabbed Lexie's hand, looking her right in the eyes.
"So please, give it a shot. Not just for yourself but also for the people that love you."
Lexie nodded. Dr. Bailey smiled before leaving the room, making place for Dr. Wyatt.
"So—"
"—how are you doing?" Dr. Wyatt said as she sat down.
"I'm okay—"
"—how are you?"
Dr. Wyatt sighed, giving Lexie a look. 
"Alright, I'm sorry. I was just being polite."
"Let me rephrase—"
"—how do you feel?"
Lexie gave her a confused look.
"About?"
Dr. Wyatt leaned forward, with a frown on her face.
"Alexia, don't be stupid."
"What do you want to hear—"
"—that my best friend died in a shooting caused by my other best friend—"
"—and that I had to step over the dead bodies of my peers trying to save her life—"
"—that my parents can't stand to be in the same room as each other—"
"—or that I've been trapped inside of this hospital for weeks, while everybody else is living their lives?"
Lexie took a deep breath before continuing.
"I know you think that I'm broken, everybody seems to think that—"
"—so, fix me."
The room went quiet. Lexie could see that Dr. Wyatt was writing some things down in her notebook before turning to Lexie.
"Your wounds are not your fault, but your healing is your responsibility—"
"—I can only help you if you allow it."
Lexie looked up, taking a deep breath. Dr. Wyatt stood up and walked over to the door.
"Make up your mind—"
"—because I will not keep coming back.

Day three

Lexie was waiting for Dr. Wyatt to return if she'd even return. It was not that she didn't want help because deep down she knew she needed it. Lexie just really did not like the idea of therapy and talking about her feelings.
"Morning." Dr. Wyatt said as she entered the room.
Lexie smiled.
"Morning."
Just like the days before Dr. Wyatt sat down besides Lexie's bed. She took a quick look at her notes before speaking.
"Yesterday you seemed angry."
Lexie shook her head.
"I'm not mad, I'm hurt—"
"—there is a difference."
"Could you explain?"
Lexie took a deep breath as she was trying to find the words to describe why she felt that way.
"Uh—"
"—I trusted him, and he betrayed me."
"Him, as in Winston, the shooter?"
Lexie nodded.
"My life is forever changed, and I don't—"
"—I don't know how to move forward—"
"—I can't move forward, literally. I have to get out of here."
"Alexia, you can't run—"
Dr. Wyatt leaned forward.
"—the avoidance of pain is no solution."
The room turned quiet.
"You're showing signs of PTSD and it takes time to fully come back from that."
"And I am telling you that I need to get out of here—"
"—you can't run." Dr. Wyatt interrupted.
"You're not listening."
"No, you're not listening—"
"—you can't run away from your problems. You are destroying yourself from the inside out—"
"—and if you can't see that, I can't help you."
Dr. Wyatt sighed before closing her notebook.
"We're done here. I'll come back when you actually want help."
Dr. Wyatt stood up and left the room.
"Dam it." Lexie said underneath her breath.

Day four

Lexie was laying in her bed, staring at the ceiling. All the things Dr. Wyatt had said the previous days were racing through her mind. She was frustrated with how people didn't seem to understand how difficult it is to explain what is going on in your head when you don't even understand it yourself. Lexie took a deep breath as a tear ran down her face. What was the point in trying to fix something that couldn't be fixed? Life as she knew it was forever changed and nothing more than just a memory. 

Day five

Lexie was laying on her side, with her back towards the door. She sighed when she heard that someone was entering her room, again.
"I don't want everybody hovering and asking me how I'm doing every five minutes—"
"—what I want is my life back."
The room turned quiet for a little while. Lexie didn't necessarily want to be alone, but she did want to be left alone.
"You know, there was a moment, years ago. I fell into freezing cold water—"
"—I thought to myself, just for one moment why fight—"
"—why not just stop?" Meredith said.
Lexie turned around; she was now facing her mother. She could see the tears in her eyes.
"But you fought?"
Meredith shook her head.
"No, I did not—"
"—the only reason I'm still here is because the people who love me didn't give up on me."
Meredith took a deep breath as a tear ran down her face.
"Lexie—"
"—we are here for you. Not just your father and I, but all of us—"
"—and we are not giving up on you."
Lexie smiled as a tear ran down her face.
"I just want to go home."

"—and she couldn't heal because she kept pretending that she wasn't hurt."