Purpose

"Where you are a day, a week, a month or a year from now is a reflection of the choices you choose to make right now."

Lexie was laying in her bed, she felt like the world had drained her from everything she used to have, she was tired. When Lexie closed her eyes, her mind kept bringing her back to her high school, to the hallways in which the bodies of her peers were laying, in a puddle of their own blood. Lexie's heartbeat rose and she opened her eyes, again.
"I'm so sorry that I woke you up." Dr. Torres said as she entered the room.
Lexie wishes it was true, she barely slept making the already long days even longer.
"I'm taking you up for a CT-scan—"
"—if the scans look good, we might be able to start your physical therapy."
Lexie nodded and Dr. Torres walked over to her with a wheelchair.

Upon entering the room Lexie noticed that there was already a patient inside of the CT-scan. She turned her head, giving Dr. Torres a confused look, but she seemed to be as confused as Lexie was. Lexie turned her head towards the window, looking into the radiology room. She could see her mother stand up, walking towards the door.
"Grey—"
"—why is there a patient in the CT-scan?"
"He came into the ER this morning—"
Lexie looked at the man, that was lying inside of the CT-scan.
"—is there a tire around his waist?" Lexie interrupted.
Meredith nodded.
"Men are stupid—"
"—that's why I became a lesbian."
They all laughed. Dr. Torres grabbed the handles of the wheelchair and turned Lexie around.
"Page me when you're done."
Meredith nodded.
"Wait—"
"—can I stay?"
They both turned to Lexie giving her a confused look.
"I have nothing else to do, please! I want to see what happens to him."
Meredith sighed.
"Fine, but don't tell anyone."
Lexie smiled.
"Not a word."

Once the scans were up both Meredith and Dr. Torres gasped. Even Lexie understood what they meant. His abdomen had grown a custom to the tire, into the inner lining.
"He has been living with that thing around his waist for years." Meredith said.
Dr. Torres took a closer look at the scans.
"Why do you think he came to the hospital now?"
Meredith shook her head.
"Maybe he has finally gotten to his senses."
"What is that?" Lexie said, pointing at a darker spot on the scans.
"He is bleeding internally—"
"—I have to operate on him right away."
Meredith grabbed her phone before standing up.
"I'm calling maintenance, they might know how to get that thing off of him."
Lexie never understood why her parents liked being a surgeon, cutting people open. But, spending this much time in the hospital made her realize that it is not about the cutting, it is about the people and gluing them back together. Lexie couldn't stop wondering how a person could let it get this far before seeking help. He would've probably been just fine if he took care of it right away. Which made her realize she was doing the exact same thing.

Later that day Amelia entered Lexie's room, she had also brought a wheelchair with her.
"Get in."
Lexie gave her a confused look.
"I already had my CT-scan."
Amelia nodded.
"I know."
"Then, where are we going?"
"It's not so much of a surprise if I tell you where we are going, right?"
Lexie smiled nervously.
"I do need a little assistance."
Amelia nodded before helping Lexie into the wheelchair. A few minutes later they were outside of the hospital. Lexie could feel the cold air on her skin and the wind blow through her hair. She had always loved to be outdoors, just like her father.
"I already hated my hospital room and now I am dreading to go back in there—"
"—it is so much nicer outside."

After a small walk Amelia stopped; parking Lexie next to a bench before sitting down herself. She cleared her throat before speaking.
"I am, I was an addict—"
"—I've been to meetings; I still go to them sometimes."
Amelia turned to Lexie.
"How about group therapy?"
Lexie shook her head. She tried to take the brakes off, but Amelia prevented her from doing so.
"And sit in a circle feeling sorry for each other, no thanks."
Amelia gave her a look.
"It's not just a group of people—"
"—it's a group of people who understand you, because they have been through the same thing as you have."
Lexie nodded.
"I want to move on—"
"—I do—"
"—I just—"
Lexie took a deep breath.
"—I want to do it on my own terms, and I can't move on if people keep bringing up the past."
"Forgetting doesn't mean forgiving—"
"—just because you don't see it anymore doesn't mean that it is no longer there, controlling your life."
Amelia turned to Lexie.
"Just go to a meeting. You don't have to say a word if you don't want to—"
"—just listen to the stories of the others, you might find comfort in knowing that you're not alone."
Lexie took a deep breath, looking up to the sky. Maybe Amelia had a point, she had more to gain that to lose at this point and she did not want to end up like Tire Guy.

They went back the way they came, through the tunnels. Lexie was looking around, there were gurneys all along the wall.
"What even is this place?"
"I have no clue—"
"—but not a lot of people come here, so."
"Is that why we couldn't just go through the front?"
Amelia smiled.
"I wasn't necessarily allowed to take you outside, no."
They made it about halfway through the tunnels when Amelia's pager went of.
"I have to go!"
Amelia let go of the handles and turned the other way.
"What about me?"
"I'll be right back."
Lexie shook her head.
"Amelia—"
"—you can't just leave me here!" Lexie yelled as Amelia ran away.
"Dam it" Lexie said underneath her breath.

Some time went by, and Lexie started to realize that Amelia wouldn't be coming back anytime soon. In fact, she hadn't seen a single soul down here. Lexie wheeled herself forward and before she knew it, she was back in the part of the hospital that was actually being used. She was riding through the hallways when a girl approached her.
"You're Lexie, right?"
Lexie gave the girl a confused look.
The girl looked somewhat familiar; she just couldn't quite put her finger on it.
"It's Judith—"
"—you know, from the nurse's office."
Judith cleared her throat.
"You said you'd come back, but you never did."
Lexie gave her a confused look.
"Afterwards I heard what happened and I'm very sorry—"
"—you saved my life you know."
Lexie smiled, even though she was a little confused on the point Judith was trying to make.
"You were the one who wrapped bandages around the wounds of our peers, right?"
Lexie nodded.
"You saved their lives—"
"—you are kind of a hero. You know, you would make a great doctor."
Lexie smiled.
"I have to go—"
"—I have a meeting. Would you like to come?" Judith said.
Lexie's head was telling her to go and give it a shot, but her heart was telling her not to. Lexie took a deep breath before answering.
"Maybe some other time."
"All right, take care."
"You too" Lexie said with a smile.

"There you are." Meredith said as she walked over to Lexie.
Lexie gave her a smile. Judging by the fact that her mother was still wearing a surgical gown, and her scrub cap, Lexie assumed she had just gotten out of surgery.
"How is Tire Guy?"
Meredith gave her a confused look.
"Tire Guy, seriously?"
Lexie nodded.
"He bled out as soon as we removed the tire—"
"—he was a dead man coming into the hospital."

"I have good news—"
"—the results from your CT look good and you get to come home." Derek said as he approached them.
Lexie gasped; she couldn't believe it.
"Are you serious!"
Derek nodded.
"I thought Torres said that it was still too early?" Meredith said, giving him a confused look.
Derek cleared his throat.
"For her physical therapy, yes."
Lexie could tell by the look on her mother's face that something wasn't right. Derek turned to Lexie.
"Let's go home!"