Chapter 4 - Warmth

"Don't be bemused, it's just the news, I'm Nadia Chamack and we have some breaking weather news tonight. Fresh snow falls are expected overnight in what looks to be shaping up to be one of the coldest Christmases on record. But don't worry Paris, it might be cold, but the weather is promising to clear by morning."

"That's right Nadia." Clara added. "But don't forget a coat of you planning some last minute Christmas shopping at the markets or heading to the Trocadero this weekend. It might be clear, but the wind will increase the chill factor."

Marinette picked up the leftover plates from dinner and took them to the sink. "Well it looks like we can still meet up with Alya and Nino tomorrow."

"You both better make sure you have extra blankets on your beds tonight. I wouldn't want either of you to catch a cold." Sabine suggested, warming up some milk on the stove. "Tom, can you put it on the right channel for the Christmas bake off? I want to see the showstopper cakes they make for this year." She then added shaved chocolate into the pot. "Marinette, are you and Adrien watching with us?"

"We thought we might play a few rounds of Mecha Strike in my room. Adrien is in the mood to have his butt handed to him." She grinned.

"Hey." The blond replied indignantly. "I'll have you know I've been practicing with Nino and I beat him regularly."

"That's setting the bar a bit low isn't it?" Marinette replied. Tom snorted in the background as he searched for the TV remote.

"Harsh." Adrien said with a pout, although he had to smile to himself. He loved seeing the sassy Ladybug side of her in their civilian selves.

"The remote is on top of the TV dear." Sabine called with her back still turned. "Alright then, take your hot chocolates up with you and try to play fair Marinette."

Marinette gasped at her mother. "I always play fair." She folded her arms and poked her nose in the air trying not to laugh.

Several rounds and many victories to Marinette later, Adrien saw that Marinette was struggling to stay awake.

"I'm not *yawn* tired." She tried to insist, rubbing her eyes.

"Yes you are." Tikki said, tugging the gaming controller from her hands.

"No use fighting it m'lady. You want to be fresh for ice skating tomorrow, remember." He gave her a tight hug. "Thank you for today. I'll see you in the morning."

"Good night Kitty." She said sleepily. Adrien took the two empty mugs with him, giving her a parting smile.

~~~~~

It was about 2am when Marinette was stirred from her sleep by Plagg poking her in the face.

"Pigtails, wake up." He called out to her.

Marinette eventually opened one eye at him. "Plagg, if you're hungry go and help yourself to the fridge." She groaned, rolling over and pulling the blanket up over her head.

"It's not me, it's my kid. He's having a nightmare and I can't wake him."

"What?" Marinette threw the blankets back sending both Tikki and Plagg flying off the bed. "Aw, sorry." She whispered, getting out of bed. Putting on her slippers and dressing gown, Marinette tipped ties down the stairs and past her parents room. Down the other end of the hall, she could hear muffled sounds.

"Adrien." She whisper-shouted into the darkness. As her eyes adjusted, she could see Adrien tossing and turning. She walked over to his bedside table and turned on the soft night light.

"Adrien." She called again a little louder. All she could hear was incoherent mumbling that she could decipher.

Kicking off her slippers, she crawled up onto the bed and she shook his shoulders, calling his name until he sat up with a start. He was sweating, his loose hair sticking to his forehead and he was looking wildly around the room.

"Adrien, it's alright." She soothed, holding his head to make him look at her. "Look at me Kitty, you're alright, everything is alright."

"Marinette." He whispered, touching her cheek with his fingertips, almost disbelieving his eyes. He then suddenly pulled her into a fierce hug, buying his face into the crook of her neck, and his fingers in hair. She let him hold her tight, closing her eyes and wrapping her arms around him, rubbing his back in soothing circles. They stayed like that for several minutes. "Oh god I'm sorry. Did I wake you up? I didn't wake your parents did I?"

"No, Plagg came and got me." She said, sitting back to look at him. She gently brushed his damp hair out of his eyes. "Does this happen often?"

Adrien looked down and nodded his head. Marinette took his hand into hers and held it to her chest. "It's alright Adrien, I get them too sometimes. Is there anything I can do?"

"Would you stay with me?" He asked her, his eyes vulnerable. "I um...I don't want to be alone right now."

"Of course I will." Marinette said, gripping his arm with her hand. "You're shaking". She said in concern. "You've been uncovered for too long and you've gotten cold. Here, let me warm you up."

She pulled the covers up over them and snuggled into his side. "What are you doing?" Adrien asked, unsure what was going on.

"I'm warming you up silly Kitty." She replied, resting her head on his chest and wrapping an arm over him. "I wouldn't want you catching a cold for Christmas. You need to relax though. I can feel your heart racing at a hundred miles an hour. It's all over now, you just take deep breaths."

Adrien tried to take deep breaths, but it was hard when she was the cause of his racing heart, especially with her pressed up against him.

"Do you want to tell me about it?" She asked. Adrien brought his other arm around her, holding her closer to him.

"I keep remembering that day, that final showdown. You stood between me and my father. You risked your life for me and when you went down, I thought...I was so afraid that you..."

Marinette turned her head up and put a finger to his lips. "Don't." She whispered. "You died for me more times than I could ever thank you for, and those memories haunt me too, but even if I hadn't known it was you Adrien, I would never have let that monster hurt you." She huddled into him closer. "No one will ever hurt you again, not while I'm here."

Adrien carded his fingers through her hair as they laid there together in the silence. Looking out of the window, he could see the snow falling down, gathering along the window sill. The wind was blowing, and the air was cold, but all Adrien could feel was warmth. The warmth of Marinette's slowing breaths across his neck as she drifted off to sleep in his arms, the warmth of her body curled into his, and the warmth in his own heart. Only in his dreams had he believed he could be laying like this with her. She took his vulnerability and in return gave him her trust. When all he could see was the darkness, she picked him up and helped him find the stars.

Adrien kissed her on the top of the head as she softly snored before closing his own eyes, surrounded by her warmth. It was the best night's sleep he'd had in a very long time.

In the early hours of the morning, Sabine and Tom woke up to start down in the bakery. Noticing Adrien's bedroom door ajar, Sabine looked in to make sure everything was alright. She had heard Marinette's hurried footsteps through the night and the muffled noises coming from Adrien's room. She could only imagine how devastating everything must have been for him, to discover who his father was and she was glad to know that he was here safe with them

"Is he alright?" Tom asked. Sabine nodded her head as she closed the door.

"I think he's going to be just fine." She said with a knowing smile. "They both will be."