Chapter 2 - Cocoa

"Dude, that's awesome you're going to be spending time with Marinette. It's about time you got out of that tomb." A flash of panic suddenly rushed across Nino's face. "Ahh, I didn't mean it that way."

Adrien let out a small chuckle as he tied his hair back. "Don't worry, Plagg's called it worse." Adrien gave a side eye to his mischievous Kwami who was trying to sneak another chunk of camembert into Adrien's luggage.

Nino's face relaxed on Adrien's computer screen. The DJ was surprised to receive Adrien's early morning call, but the change he was already seeing in his best friend was well worth the earliness of the hour.

"I'll be honest I'm kind of nervous though. Marinette has been such a good friend to me, I don't want my feelings for her to get in the way, you know. I'd hate to make her uncomfortable, especially since I'll be staying there with her and her family."

"You still love her, don't you bro?"

"I never stopped loving her." Adrien admitted. "Finding out Ladybug was Marinette only made me love her more, but being an Agreste isn't what it used to be."

"Dude, you know Marinette likes you for who you are, not your last name."

"Oh I know that." Adrien clarified. "But people see me differently now..."

Adrien's voice drifted off as he packed his shirts into his suitcase. Nino furrowed his eyebrows. He knew what Adrien meant, that he didn't want his misfortune to adversely rub off on her. Nino really wanted to tell Adrien that Marinette had been crushing on him since Collège, but Alya had threatened him not to breathe a word. She was of the opinion that the two of them needed to figure this out for themselves since their secret identities weren't in the way anymore. Nino did agree with her, not that he had much of a choice, but he still felt his best bro needed a nudge.

"Well if you and Marinette don't have any other plans, Alya and I thought we might go ice skating at the Trocadero tomorrow. It's been a while since just the four of us hung out together if you're interested."

Adrien's face brightened up. "That sounds great. I'm sure Marinette would love to."

"Nice, I'll let Alya know then. Well I'll let you go dude, but remember, Marinette knows how Chat Noir felt about Ladybug, but she needs to know Adrien still feels the same way about Marinette."

Adrien looked at him confused. "But...wouldn't she know that already?"

Nino slowly shook his head. "This is Marinette we're talking about my dude. Actions can speak louder than words here. You told Ladybug you loved her a dozen different ways, now you need to show Marinette what she means to you, without trying to killed yourself in the process now." Nino gave him a pointed look and Adrien rubbed the back of his neck. "Take it from a man of experience." He added with a wink.

After hanging up from Nino, Adrien carried his suitcase down the winding staircase of the mansion. It never felt much like a home, just a place to sleep at night. Not that Adrien had been getting that much sleep lately either. His footsteps echoing through the empty halls just added to the coldness he felt being there.

With the mansion behind him, Adrien pulled his blue scarf closer around him as he made his way down the footpath. It was refreshing to walk down the street and not be faced with posters of himself everywhere, well at least not his civilian self. Many stores still hung thank you banners to the heroes of Paris alongside their Merry Christmas signs. Even if Paris didn't know who their heroes really were, Adrien did, and he loved seeing his friends being honoured.

Arriving at the bakery, he saw a handmade Christmas wreath with "Merry Crustmas" written across it. Adrien chuckled at the pun. The bell above the door announced his arrival and as he walked in and the smell of allspice and cinnamon added to the warmth inside. Sabine welcomed him with a motherly hug. "I'm so glad you accepted Marinette's invitation to stay with us." She said. "We were so happy when she told us this morning. We've all been so worried about you."