The Girl in the Park

Small note that will play a pretty big role,, the (Y/n) in this story is portrayed in a bit of an alt aesthetic. If that's not your aesthetic you can always change it to match yourself more, but for really important plot pieces I had to make it this way. Sorry :(

(Y/n) slid on his shoes, glancing behind him briefly before facing the door again. He took a deep breath and pushed it open, walking outside. He closed the door behind him and pulled his earbuds out of his pocket, putting them into his ears and playing some of his favorite songs.

After a while of walking, he found himself at the park downtown. He sat down on one of the benches and looked around at the quiet town. It was around two in the morning on a Thursday. He had private lessons with Erasurehead in less than six hours, but that didn't matter to him. His sensei already knew that he was falling behind and wouldn't make the cut for UA unless he was recommended. Which, he knew nobody would recommend him.

He was a disappointment and a failure, and he accepted that. In fact, he embraced it. He didn't do anything to change it or better it, because he didn't see a point to it.

A sudden movement rather close to (Y/n) snapped him out of his thoughts, and he pulled his earbuds out, his eyes scanning the area. A figure came into his view, and he stood up, making direct eye contact and tensing slightly with clenched fists.

"Hey there! I thought I was the only one who came out here this late. What's your name?" (Y/n) relaxed slightly. The person seemed to be friendly, probably no older than him, and gave no intention of harming him.

"I uh.. I'm (Y/n). How about you?"

"I'm Himiko!" She said, walking over to a nearby streetlight. Under the light, (Y/n) could see her entire appearance. She was blonde, her messy hair nearly reaching her waist. Her eyes looked as though they could kill him, but the kindness behind them forced (Y/n) to ignore it. She was wearing a sweater, a skirt with tights, and a huge smile on her face. "Come on over here! I wanna see what you look like!" (Y/n) sighed and walked over. What was the worst that could happen anyway?

"I'm not the most pleasant thing to look at, but you seem eager, so don't blame me," he said, stepping under the light. She gasped, her eyes shining brightly.

"You look so cool! And I mean that in, like, just a friend way; your style is amazing!" (Y/n) cracked a small smile.

"Thanks. You look pretty nice yourself."

"You wanna be friends?" Himiko asked, practically bouncing up and down with excitement.

"I.. Sure! I mean, you barely know me, so I don't understand why..."

"That's the whole point silly! Or do you want me to know more about you?"

"No, no! Actually, your point makes sense. We can be friends without knowing anything personal about the other. Like secret friends," (Y/n) explained.

"Exactly! You don't tell anyone about me, and I don't tell anyone about you. We meet here in secret and just hang out, like normal friends do!" Himiko was getting very excited, and at this point she was jumping up and down.

"You say that as if you don't have normal friends." She frowned, her jumping immediately ceasing.

"You picked up on that quick. But you're right, no one ever really accepts me, so I kinda want a friend who doesn't know anything about me."

"Hey, I feel the exact same way, so don't worry about it. We can be normal friends. We can be normal, secret friends who know nothing about each other. Sound good?" (Y/n) asked. Himiko nodded, her wide smile coming back immediately. "Awesome. Well, I was taking a walk earlier, do you want to join?" He asked, looking to his watch to check the time.

"Sure!" The two walked around the town, talking about music and games they like, but not once mentioning anything about their home or personal lives. After a while, they got tired of walking and decided to call it a night, agreeing to meet the next day. Back at his house, (Y/n) laid on his back in his bed, staring at the ceiling with a smile on his face.

He looked to his side to see his clock reading 5:48. His dad would be waking up soon, and his lessons started at 7. Sighing a little bit, he stood from his bed and walked over to his mini fridge, taking out an energy drink and opening it. He drank some of it while opening his folder of notes he had taken over the week, which was mostly empty. He read over what was written, trying to understand, but eventually gave up and laid back in his bed until his dad knocked on his door to make sure he was ready for his lessons.

All Might sighed as he watched his son walk to Erasurehead's house. He shook his head and looked back to the phone in his hand. He was running out of ideas on how to help (Y/n) out of his decline. He was beginning to think that (Y/n) didn't even want to be a hero, which was a possibility, but not one that he was willing to accept.

(Y/n) was supposed to be the next One For All holder, and the next number one hero once he retired. But All Might was starting to question if he was worthy of being a number one hero. As his son, most definitely. But as a student trying to get into a hero academy, not at all. That's why All Might needed to start looking for possible surrogates that could take (Y/n)'s place.

He hated the thought of putting someone above his son, but it was what he had to do in order to ensure that Japan remained as safe as possible. Plus, the worse that (Y/n) got, the easier it was for All Might to let him go.

Word count: 990