Light of my life (end)

The sun drifted beyond the horizon, allowing a period of rest from its aggressive rays. Crisp fall air swept around the park, briskly tickling the boys' noses. Soon, a cool moonlight shrouded the two, blanketing them with its light rays and allowing them to bathe in their essence. The bright moon slowly let their worries drift away.

It had begun raining, light sprinkles evolved into harsh droplets. The two hid under a canopy, crouched over with their hands wrapped around their knees.

As silence lingered over the two, they looked towards the rain, which was now generating a light mist that lingered in the air and clouded the glistening moon. It was a sight to be beheld by all.

"I'm sorry I kissed you." Reki began, a hushed tone carried beneath his breath.

"I kissed you back, didn't I?" Langa responded, turning his head to look at Reki. "You shouldn't put that on yourself."

"I know, but you were with Ema. I crossed the line, and I'm sorry."

Wind flew past the two, sending a terse chill down their spines. Instinctively, Reki wrapped his arms around his shoulders for warmth. Langa watched the boy shudder stiffly. Without a second thought, he took off the overshirt he had on and draped it over Reki's shoulders quietly, letting the boy react in a stunned manner.

"I don't regret it," Langa spoke, now gazing at a bright star that glimmered beyond the rain.

"Kissing you was worth it. I needed to break down a wall to understand myself. You helped me get there."  Langa responded.

"Have you ever liked a guy before?" Reki whispered after some time, meeting Langa's gaze.

"Once." He responded, combing a hand through his hair. "When I was fourteen, I attended an away camp. There was a boy, I forget his name, but I was instantly drawn to him. We shared a bunk, so I was able to talk to him whenever I wanted."

"One night, as the lights were put out, he asked me if I had ever been kissed before. I told him 'no', and he kissed me on the lips. I remember not being able to sleep for the entire night. I only got to see him for that one summer, but I knew that I could never forget what happened." Reki listened calmly, residing in the comfort of Langa's presence.

"It took me years, but I now know that shaped me as a person. I can understand that I didn't just admire him." Langa dropped his arms to his side, allowing his pale skin to drink up the moonlight.

"I've always been confused with myself, but I've never been more clear on something as I am now. I love you, Reki. I can't stand the thought of you being with anyone else, and I know that I don't ever want to hurt you again. I can't give up on you." Langa watched Reki's reaction, his pale cheeks tinted a warm shade of pink and his brown eyes glimmered.

"I've been through so much with you, Langa. So many feelings come from just being with you. I was so jealous when you started succeeding in my place, so angry when you had Ema by your side instead of me."

"Envy easily grew on me, but I have to move past that. I need to embrace my feelings, and I need to stop pushing you away." Reki's speech was soft, he seemed untroubled.

"I'd love to be with you. I want you to help me push past my issues, I want to grow with you. I want to love you."

A tender smile was plastered on Reki's face.

"I have never loved anybody in the ways that I have loved you." Langa took Reki's hands in his, spreading a feeling of warmth between them. "I want to love you forever, Reki. Will you please give me a chance?"

"Okay." With that, Reki leaned in and pressed their lips together .

The cold atmosphere hardly impacted the warmth of their tender embrace, the boys felt complete tranquility as their lips drifted against each other. Langa drew Reki in closer, now trying to bite back a smile. Soon, Langa began laughing lightly, breaking apart from the other boy.

Reki looked at Langa confusedly, he wondered  why the other boy was laughing. His mind quickly jumped to a dark corner, as he began thinking that his lips were chapped or that he had something in his teeth. The redhead instantly rushed to apologize.

"Don't worry, it wasn't you." Forcing himself to speak between his laughter, Langa tried to reassure him. "I was thinking how thankful I am that we're together now. I've never been more happy in my life. God it took us so long..."

Reki felt his stomach become completely overtaken by butterflies.

"You've gotta stop talking like that, it's really embarrassing." Without  hesitation, Langa wrapped his arms around Reki contently and pulled him into his lap.

"Reki, my love, you're so beautiful. I could never live without you." Langa leaned his chin against Reki's shoulder, speaking compliments into his ear.

The two laughed, enjoying one another's presence.

"Can I officially ask now?" Langa questioned, closing his eyes and resting against Reki's shoulder.

"Ask what?"

"For you to be my boyfriend. Will you love me forever?"

"This isn't a proposal, Langa." Reki responded, pushing Langa's face away with a laugh.

"I will be forever yours. And will you be mine?" Langa asked once again.

"Yes." To seal their confession, Langa brought Reki in for a kiss.

•••

The rain had cleared now, leaving a dark blue sky. For the rest of the night, the two gazed at the open stratosphere, naming any constellation they could.

"Wouldn't it be cool to be a star?" Reki thought aloud. The two were now sprawled out on the ground as they looked up at the sky. "You could look over the entire universe and live your life while you watch everything  around you grow and change. I want to live like that one day."

"I'd like to be in a constellation with you then, that way we'd be joined together by fate." Langa responded. He was lucky enough to be able to behold the gorgeous sky, but he knew the view that was right next to him on earth was far more alluring than any of the stars in the solar system.

"We could exist together for eternity up there." Reki said. Soon, he felt Langa intertwine their pinke fingers together.

"Nothing could break us apart."

Thank you for sticking around long enough to get here! I know this ending was kind of abrupt, but I really wanted to end things this way. I appreciate all of the votes, comments, and follows, they truly made my day.

I will likely be writing an epilogue to this story. Again, thank you for the support!