Chapter one

Bennetts point of view

I brought Serenity into my office. What is this all about? "Me and Jeremy have been talking and we think that you need to go on a little vacation" I sighed. "Who would look after Gabriel and Cheyenne?" she gave me a blunt look. "Me! I know those kids better than you think and you need a break! Jeremy and I can keep the pack going and your kids aren't that destructive! We'd cope!" I sighed again. "Where would I go?" she rolled her jade green eyes. "Anywhere! Spain, Mexico, Russia, anywhere!!!" She went quiet and modest again. "Bennett, Jeremy hates seeing you this way but you've been so sad since Rose died that your shutting everyone out!" Something inside me snapped. "Get out! Get out and leave me alone!" I watched her whince as I glared at her, she fluttered her eye lashes trying to fight the tears before letting them fall and running out of my office.

I sighed and sunk down against the wall. I rest my arms on my knees and looked down at the carpeted floor. I don't know how long I sat like this but I heard small footsteps and then a conversation went on outside the door. Someone came in. It was Cheyenne. I could tell. She smelt just like a rose, like her mother had. She stroked to my hair lightly. "I made you something daddy" I looked up. She handed me a handsown handkerchief and a cup of coffee. "I made them both" she smiled. I felt more tears beginning to fall. "Did I do something wrong daddy?" I laughed. "No, no they're perfect. Thank you Cheyenne" I hugged her to tighter than I ever have and she squealed in delight. "Did mommy ever tell you what happened to Leah? After she stabbed you?" I frowned. "Cheyenne... You weren't born then... How could you possibly know that?" she sniffles. "That was what my nightmare was about" she confirmed my suspicions. "What did you see sweetheart?" she looked uncomfortable. "Mommy killed Leah" I smiled to myself and brought Cheyenne into my lap. "Cheyenne do you understand what you saw? And why your mother did that?" she nodded. "Yes, I do. Leah stabbed you knowing you would die and mommy would be hurt by this especially since she was in labour but what she didn't count on was you agreeing to let mommy turn you into a vampire. So she did. But then mom wanted revenge, you know she was a Christian?" I nodded and let her carry on. "She believed in the saying an eye for an eye and so she took divine action. For this bit I was born. Mommy returned home covered in blood. She showered, redressed and came for you. When you woke up as a vampire you held us. She couldn't live without you, she knew that, it's why she did it... And she was right to. If she hadn't me and Gabe would've" I grinned. "You've got your mum's resilience and logic so I don't doubt you when you say that" she smiled. "Which is why it's time for present number three from me" Gabriel brought in a canvas twice his size. It had a velvet sheet covering it right now. They leaned it against the wall and removed the sheet. It revealed the scene from my dream last night. Me and Rose kissing under a willow tree in a beautiful meadow of rose's of every colour. Yes Cheyenne had officially went physics and telepathic. Terrific! "Do you spy on all my dreams Mrs?" she giggled. "No, it was because I fell to sleep next to you, if it hadn't been for that and I had stayed in my room I wouldn't have been able to spy on it. You do realize I inherited that from mom right?" I nodded. "Lovely, what next? You'll be able to read my mind?"

She looked guilty. "Well..." I glared at her. "Well what?" she smiled sweetly. "I already can. And stop changing the subject you! It's your nineteenth birthday and we are going to celebrate it in style. Now make me my hot chocolate and pancakes!" she was so damn persistent! Just like her mother I knew better than to say no though so I stood up. She gestured for me to pick her up and I did. She pecked my cheek and wrapped her arms around my neck. "Happy birthday daddy" I smiled and kissed her back. "Thanks monsters, the presents were great" she frowned. "No, no, no! Those were my presents to you! Gabe is giving you his at the party tonight" I groaned. "Please guys don't make a big deal out of it like your mom would've" Cheyenne frowned again. "Damn it." she perked up though. "Fine, we won't. Now breakfast please!" I rolled my eyes and took my children into the kitchen.

Jenna and Skylar were in there as well. Jeremy came in with a look of pure hatred on his face. I had just told my children to go into the living room when all of a sudden I brutually shoved against a wall. "Jeremy? What are you doing?!" he growled. "I don't get you anymore! Okay? You shout at us all, make us feel inferior and small just because you lost your mate, well news flash everyone has two! So stop moping and go and find your second mate! And how dare you shout at Serenity! She was like Rose's sister, she treats your children like her own even though she'll never have any!" he slammed his fist into my lower stomach and watched as I crumbled to the floor. After catching my breath I was on my feet again. "What?! Serenity can't have kids? Why?" Jeremy looked scornful. "The accident that put her in a coma rendered her infertile. If we want kids we have to adopt. She refuses to, she says it's not the same" I sighed. "Jeremy I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to snap at Serenity, but I'm not getting any younger and I'll never get over Rosemarie. I'm a single father with two kids, who'd have me?" he grinned. "Anyone in their right minds. Why don't you go on that holiday, you need one and me and Serenity can manage this lot" I flipped the pancakes I just started making and he stirred two mugs of hot chocolate. "Would you really do that? After the way I've been?" Jeremy punched my arm. "Don't go all mushy on me now! But yes, we would" I smiled. "Fine, I''ll go then. But your on babysitting duty with Serenity and when all that's left of this place is ashes I shall murder you, understand?" he grinned even wider. "Understood alpha!" he saluted to me before taking the hot chocolate to my children.

I put the pancakes on plates grabbed a bottle of syrup and took them to my kids. I sat down and watched while they ate with hungry expression. "So daddy is going to go on a little trip some place nice and while I do your auntie and uncle will look after you" Gabe pouted. "Your leaving us here?! In this mad house?!" him and Cheyenne exchange glances. "Okay" they said in unison. "Go" I frowned. But said "Fine, I'll go pack."