59. A game of choice (part 1)

Eve stood stunned. It was safe to say she had never expected this- not even in her wildest dreams. She stood there and watched unblinking the scene in front of her. The Cauldron was a silent companion beside her- more like a silent looming presence that urged her to make a choice.

The Mother had presented her with two options. One that she had always wanted since the day she came here and desired with all her heart. Which she prayed for and dreamt of whenever she felt alone and abandoned- which seemed to be almost every second of the day.

And the second, an important path that if she took, would change the course of history for all of Prythian. The one which would save the Night Court and its High Lord.

She was at crossroads of desire and doing the right thing.

And the funniest thing she found in all of this was- she had only minutes to choose. Three minutes to be exact. Three minutes to decide her own future and by default, of Prythian and its people. Three minutes to make a choice that was more difficult than anything she had ever encountered before- more tough and important than when she had taken months to choose her major as psychology! She couldn't possibly do this- her heart was torn apart in two and her mind was in a whirlwind.

Both choices were dangling in front of her- torturing her. Gods, this was so messed up. And so, utterly unfair.

Choose wisely, The Cauldron purred.

This is insane, Eve shook her head slowly. You all are insane.

Choose, Eve. The Cauldron pressured her. The clock is ticking. Three minutes. The time is running. Choose, Eve. Choose one and lose the other.

********

Azriel watched in pure horror and grief the body of his beloved brother sprawled near the Cauldron. Rhys was dead. Amren was dead. And Eve was nowhere to be found. Agony spread in his chest and he was not sure if it was his own or not, though, his own pain was overwhelming his senses.

It was chaos yet silent. Eve had vanished into thin air. Rhys was lifeless in front of him. Amren was gone. He didn't know what to do- but watch as his High Lady came unbound in front of them, crying to others to bring him back. To bring her mate back.

The pain in his chest increased and he fell to his knees. Confusion and pure agony that wasn't his flared within him, his only thought being one name on chant- Eve.

*******

Eve watched in a trance the portal in front of her that had been opened. She watched the cars coming and going- the honking, the chatter that filled the air. She saw the neon lights flashing as the posters changed on the billboards. She watched in trance every single detail that gave her proof that the city was thriving and so were its people. The smell and sounds came crashing down on her, the life that survived.... It seemed so distant and yet, agonizingly close to touch and feel.

She watched New York City come to life as the evening approached.

She missed a breath as all the possibilities came crashing down on her. She could go back. She could leave this war forsaken world behind with one step and see her parents again. Study, graduate, marry, have a life. She could spend hours binge-watching series and shows, she could finish her travel list....

But, Mike wouldn't be with her.

She would go into a world with the knowledge that Mike had died in this one defending its people- no one there would know or believe her. She couldn't do that to Mike' memory. But then again, his parents deserved some kind of explanation of where was their son- the perfect son. And what about her family? Had they grieved her? Were they moving on? She wished they had- Eve wanted them to be happy despite everything.

Two minutes. The Cauldron purred.

This is not fair. You cannot expect me to choose! Eve said exasperatedly and in desperation, throwing her hands up. Two minutes, is all the Cauldron replied with.

Eve looked at the portal hopelessly and then, then she finally looked at the Fae she had come to care about.... A lot.

Her breath hitched and she fell to the ground.

Rhys was sprawled on the ground with Feyre crying over him, bellowing at anyone to help her help her mate. Amren was dead, but Eve felt her nearby. Varian was silently crying at the side and the Inner Circle looked... so defeated. And Az.... seeing him broke her heart no, cleaved her heart and then shattered it into millions of tiny little pieces.

She looked at them for a while before turning back towards the portal... knowing what she had to do. But... one last try....

What if I offer a counter deal? The Cauldron remained silent so she continued, what if you send me back but take back my immortality and powers to save Rhys and Amren.

The relations she had made in this world would survive without her; Eve convinced herself even as something like stone settled on her chest.

Your power and immortality is a part of you now, one cannot remove it without destroying an integral part of you. Besides, The High Lord of the Night Court needs you and your bond with him to survive the journey back to the world of living.

Eve tilted her head back in confusion. What bond?

The carranam bond- if you choose to help him, you will essentially be giving him a bit of your power to survive. This will have consequences, not necessarily bad. You both will be connected from thence; he will be your partner in battles. He will be your other soul, fighting beside you. And when one falters, the other will be able to lend their power with a simple touch. You will not be able to talk as one can when there is a mating bond but, you will fight like one soul and be there for one another whenever needed. It is a strong bond, and a unique one.

What if one of us dies?

The other will survive but- will not be able to fight as they used to once. You will be the first carranam to exist in Prythian. The Mother has granted you this.... It is rare for her to do so.

A beat passed as Eve took all of this in.

Choose fast, Eve. Time is ticking and Rhysand is fading. Make a choice before it is too late. Choose now.

She gave out a frustrated, helpless cry. Which path should she choose? Both called to her, crooned at her. But, in the end she had to choose one place to make hers now.

Which one would it be though? 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author who is having a relatively good day (yayy)

Hope ya'll r having a good day as well