23. Human lands

Mike and Eve were practicing when Feyre entered the studio followed closely by Rhysand. Eve, who was in the process of finishing a chorus, waved at them. Mike tilted his head in acknowledgement.

"Sometimes giving up is the strong thing
Sometimes to run is the brave thing
Sometimes walking out is the one thing
That will find you the right thing.
"

Feyre leaned on the wall, listening to them bring music to this world. The words hit home and her thoughts wondered to Tamlin; she was glad she left. Her eyes betrayed her and looked sideways at Rhys who was already looking at her. She gave him a small smile, and she knew he understood the words she didn't voice out loud- Thank you. For everything. He gulped but returned the smile. Mates. They were mates and she could not be happier.

When the duo were done, a round of applause came from her and Rhys. "That was eye-opening," Rhys commented. "You have Taylor to thank for that Rhysand," Eve replied. "Rhys," he corrected her. "Of course."

"Congratulations on the mating thing, by the way" Eve said. Feyre blushed, "thank you."

"What's with the pouting though?" Mike asked, slinging a hand across Eve's shoulder. "We are visiting my sisters tomorrow, the queens have finally agreed to meet," Feyre informed them.

"Ah, not fond of our sisters I see," Eve said lightly. Feyre chuckled a bit, "something like that."

"I can't believe I lost this bet too," Mike muttered under his breath but of course, the two Fae heard this. "This bet too?" Rhys asked.

"I was on the side that they wouldn't agree to it- the sisters- as it is after all dangerous for housing this meeting," Mike said and Rhys raised a brow while Feyre shook her head. "And I said, they would agree so I won that bet and the one where I said the queens would agree to meet too," Eve continued.

"I am not even surprised," Rhys said, shaking his head in amusement. "It is dangerous though," Feyre said, worry creasing her brows as she thought of the possibility of her sisters in danger.

"We will be placing guards around the area," Rhys said, assuring Feyre- his mate, it was still unbelievable that she had accepted him. She gave him a small smile in return.

Mike and Eve looked at each other and Eve nodded.

"We were thinking..." Mike started. Rhys encouraged him to continue when Mike stopped hesitantly. "Well... all the guards you will place will be Fae right?" Rhys nodded. "So, what if- what if Eve and I also go there? We could act as your communication link and maybe the sisters will feel a bit better," Mike said.

"Are you sure?" Rhys asked after a few seconds. To be honest, it did not seem like such a bad idea to him. "Yes, and I know how to defend very well now too, so there is that," Eve added.

Feyre bit her lip. "That- does not sound like such a bad idea," she looked at Rhys who shrugged- on you. Eve was almost on her toes in anticipation. "Then yes," Feyre said smiling a bit. "Yes! Thank you! Yes, you won't regret this," Eve squealed and Mike grinned.

"Better start the preparations then." Rhys said smiling. Eve nodded, jubilant.

******

"I heard you are going to the human lands with Mike," Az said without any preamble when Eve opened her bedroom door. Eve nodded. "Come on in," she told him.

Her room was a mess. Dresses were scattered everywhere and a bag was spilling with essentials. "Yeah, figured Mike and I would make ourselves useful in some way," she joked. Az frowned, "useful doesn't mean putting yourself in danger."

"I can handle myself," Eve said a bit sharply. Before Az could explain what he meant she added, in a lighter tone, "besides, it will be a good change of scenario."

Suddenly, Az felt bitterness coat his tongue. "Things are getting boring here?" he asked, voice devoid of emotion. "Kinda," she said and Az' shadows got thicker. She finally looked at him and her eyes widened at the realization of the meaning behind his words. "Oh no, I meant like- I don't have a problem with you, in fact, I find your company amazing, I meant that it would be a good change from all the Fae...." Eve bit her lip and kicked herself mentally; Az was a Fae too.

Az understood what she meant though. No matter how much he hated it and wished it was different... Eve did feel out of place more than she cared to admit. "So... it isn't to get away from me?" "Of course not, you idiot!"

Az grinned, "In that case... stay safe. And yes, I do know you can take care of yourself." He said and Eve smiled a bit. He gave himself positive points on seeing that smile and kissed her.

"Now... how can I help?"

******

The meeting went to the ditch. Eve's consensus was that the Queens were incompetent rulers who only cared about themselves. Mike agreed. She instantly liked Nesta who seemed to tolerate her (really, that was the highest point one could reach with her)- much to everyone's surprise. Elain seemed sweet... too sweet and innocent in Eve's personal opinion though.

"It is your choice, ladies, whether you wish to remain here, or come with us. You have heard the situation at hand. You have done the math about an evacuation." Rhys started. Nesta nodded at that. "Should you choose to remain, a unit of my soldiers will be here within the hour to guard this place along with Eve and Mike who will stay with you. Should you wish to come live with us in that city we just showed them, I'd suggest you start packing."

Nesta simply looked at Elain- it would be her choice. Elain swallowed. "I- I can't. I ..."

"Then it's settled," Rhys said kindly. The others left soon, leaving the duo who were now being inspected by Nesta while Elain hurried off to make their beds.

"We will need a ruse for you two," Nesta saidfinally. Eve nodded, "how about me being a long-lost cousin visiting my sisterswith my fiancée?" Mike hummed in approval. "That works." And with that Nestaleft, her thoughts reeling on the war that was about to be unleashed. 

Happy reading :) 

XOXO,

the amazing author