50. Ianthe

"Only you can decide what breaks you, Cursebreaker. Only you." The Suriel said to Feyre as she wondered about the Ouroboros. The words branded themselves in Eve' head as she listened in. Only you can decide what breaks you. 

She would not let the war break her, then.

"Tell the silver-eyed messenger that the answer lies on the second and penultimate pages of the Book. Together they hold the key." The Suriel finally said, after gazing at Eve for a second. "Key to what exactly?" Eve asked curiously. "The answer to what you need to stop Hy-" The Suriel was cut short when an arrow whizzed past the trees and found its mark in his throat.

"No!" Eve shouted as she pushed herself onto Feyre, covering her as arrows grazed past them. The Suriel staggered, blood oozing from his throat. An arrow grazed past Eve, slicing her upper left arm a bit.

Snarling, Eve readied her power- which seemed to be a huge abyss now that she hadn't used her powers much in days- still covering Feyre who seemed adamant on getting herself into danger. "You are High Lady, your safety is my priority at the moment, so stay behind me. I won't ask twice," Eve hissed. Feyre glared at her but softened when Eve added quietly but with firmness, "they need you to win this war."

The Suriel had by now, collapsed to the ground. Eve ran, still trying to cover Feyre, to take cover. Panting, they hid behind a tree with a particularly large bark. Arrows still flew past, some of ashwood and some of steel. Luckily, the one that had hit Eve had been one of steel.

"Why does it talk to you, Feyre, when it would not even deign to speak with me?" Ianthe, Eve realised with no small amount of rage.

Winnow? Eve mouthed to Feyre. Yes, Eve wanted nothing more than to get out of their hiding place and attack Ianthe but.... Feyre needed to get to safety. And that was her priority before anything else. But, Feyre shook her head mouthing, The Suriel. Eve internally cursed but didn't fight back for Feyre was right.... They just couldn't leave the Suriel to die alone.

"It took the King of Hybern days to unravel what you did to me," Ianthe purred, her voice drawing closer. "I still can't use most of my hand." A smile curled onto Eve's lips at that. Good.

"I'd heard from Tamlin how you captured this one," Ianthe went on, coming closer and closer. "So, I adapted your methods. And it would not tell me anything. But since you have made contact so many times, the robe I gave it ..." they could hear the smile in her voice. "A simple tracking spell, a gift from the king. To be triggered in your presence. If you should come calling again."

Eve's eyes snapped to where the Suriel was still mouthing towards them, now incapable of speaking- Run. Go. But, they didn't. For, that was fear in the Suriel' eyes which called onto Eve's humanity. To leave someone at the mercy of Ianthe and Hybern.... No, they could not do that.

Two guards, Feyre mouthed to Eve. She nodded, understanding what was about to happen. Stepping out of their hiding place together, Eve said, "I should've killed you in the Spring Court itself."

Ianthe's answering smile made Eve' blood boil as she readied her powers. A guard aimed an arrow at Feyre who created a wall of thick air between them.

"You might want to reconsider how you speak to me... after all, when Hybern has you both," Ianthe clucked.

"You will have to catch us first," Eve said. She threw two huge fireballs at the two guards- one of which found its mark as the first guard fell to the ground, clutching its burning face and an ice dagger at Ianthe which impaled itself on her left thigh, making her hiss.

And then, Feyre and Eve ran with a limping Ianthe on their tail, away from the Suriel.

It was as if, the forest cleared a path for them. Feyre ran ahead of Eve, clearly following a path. An arrow whizzed past them, cutting through the edge of Eve's right ear. In retaliation, Eve threw a dagger made of ice blindly and ran. She heard a cry of pain; her dagger found its mark. Ianthe cursed, but did not stop, still running after them.

Finally, they came to a clearing with a cottage at the end of it.

"We could kill her or let her die at the hands of the Weaver. Your choice," Feyre told Eve, panting. "Will she die painfully at the Weaver's hand?" Eve asked. Feyre nodded. "Weaver it is then," Eve said.

"Help us," Feyre turned and pleaded to the forest. The wooden door was already half-open and the two hurtled over the threshold. And into the Weaver's cottage.

**********

They were met with utter darkness. Eve and Feyre both used their entire strength from keeping the door from closing. "Thief," a voice said. It then sniffed the air and paused before hissing, "who is that with you?" Eve did not reply.

"What are you?" the Weaver seemed to come closer. Ianthe' voice came from outside, "there is nowhere to run now," she said in her sing-song voice.

"Who have you brought?" The weaver questioned them. "A present you will love," Eve rasped, and pushed Feyre out just as Ianthe entered. "For Mike," Eve hissed at her before pushing the priestess ahead, into the darkness. Eve stumbled out where Feyre caught her before she hit the ground.

Just as Ianthe' screaming began, Feyre took Eve' hand and they once again, ran. Back to where the Suriel was, away from the Weaver who might start getting hungry again.

They found the Suriel sprawled on the ground, taking laboured breaths. "Let me help," Feyre said, sliding to her knees. The Suriel shook his head. "I am already gone." It said.

"What can we do then?" Eve demanded, holding her High Lady by her shoulder who seemed to be on the verge of collapsing.

"Stay till the end," the Suriel mummered, his eyes closing. Eve' eyes filled with tears.

"I am sorry," Feyre said. "I knew... about the cloak." Eve blinked at that, "then why come?" Eve asked. "You were kind, and helped me when no one else would," The Suriel answered, looking at Feyre who whimpered. "And you," it turned its head towards Eve, "the wind... whispers. You fight and stand even after all you have.... I have faith in you...." Eve let the tear fall.

It turned back to Feyre. "Feyre Archeron." A laboured breath. "I told you—to stay with the High Lord. And you did."

"You meant Rhysand." Dawn of realisation came over her eyes. "Stay with him ... and live to see everything righted." Feyre nodded.

The Suriel then turned to where Eve stood. "She will," Eve promised. The Suriel nodded, letting out a sigh of someone whose work is done and can finally rest in peace. "You should leave... worse things..."

"We are not letting you die alone," Eve said. The Suriel smiled at that. "Goodbye," it said at last. "May your soul pass in peace," Eve said, her voice hoarse.

"Leave this world ... a better place than how you found it." The Suriel said. Eve nodded. "We will, dreamer," Feyre said. The Suriel smiled for one last time before closing his eyes forever.

Eve let out a sob while Feyre wept and wept for what seemed forever. "We need to go," Eve said at last. Feyre nodded but made no action to move. A leaf crunched from behind but she seemed oblivious. However, Eve whipped back, fire at ready.

"Just me." Helion. "Prove it is you and not someone glamoured," Eve demanded. Helion chuckled at that. He raised his hands and let the power of Day show for a few seconds. "Will this do or do I have to describe the blue dress you wore at the High Lords' meeting with flames at the end?" He asked. Sighing, Eve gulped. "Help me take her back. She is too drained," Eve said and Helion nodded. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author who has a party to attend this evening but is so damn done and tired that a void is there in place of excitement .... but, on a better note- SCHOOL WEEK IS FINALLY OVER, gosh it felt so long this week!

Anyway, have fun reading!