26. Into the Cauldron

It felt like eternity but at the same time, it didn't. Her body was being pricked by thousands of needles and a hammer pounded from the inside of her skull making her head explode. How had she not died yet? Her body was burning and white blurred her vision as the darkness came and went repeatedly.

Then, the worst pain that could be caused to her took place.

Pictures of Mike, of their time together played on a slideshow in front of her. There was Mike and her together a month after she had moved from India with her parents. Their graduation party, their time in Velaris, singing, the list went on and on.

Eve cried and cried. She was quickly losing her will to survive to the overwhelming guilt she felt at the fact that here she was- alive, while Mike had died fighting. Cold started to make its way into her bones. Sharp, icy stakes.

No. The word echoed in her mind though. Those monsters still existed outside this place- she would get her revenge and she would make sure the world remembered the most amazing best friends that had once existed. Eve gave out a battle cry. Not. Today. She would live through today and the next ... till the time her mission was finished. The cold was still there though, but with it came a sharp hot rage that she hadn't even known she could feel. It reminded her of fire.

The girl had almost given up, she would die here.

The cold stared making its way towards her heart but it was met with pure, undiluted rage. Such rage and love for her beloved dead that the ice stopped. It melted and fused with the warmth. Fire and ice- the two battled and danced. Such a contrast of nature that the girl in It started seizing- yet she did not give up. The Cauldron had unintentionally given her the power over ice while trying to find a living company for itself, but, the girl's heart and determination had thawed the ice. She moulded fire she found in the Cauldron with force. But even then, when she took from It, demanded that she survive, the Cauldron admired it- as much as it could. 

And so, the Cauldron pushed her upwards- back into the world before she could consume more powers from It. After all, he was curious as to what would happen to her. The girl who had lived among two worlds. The girl made of fire and ice. Warmth and coldness. Steely determination and ire.

It would see her again.

Eve gasped as she came back up. Her entire body was shivering- no, her body was convulsing. Eve felt odd. Her heart and mind felt warm but every other body part was as if, submerged in ice. She coughed as she fell onto the ground, seizing. Curling up in a ball, the world disappeared again for a while.

She only came back when Feyre started screaming. She watched the events unfold as the Inner Circle put on a mask of being enraged, as Nesta held Elain in a death grip, as the King bathed in the drama and as he said, "You are free to go, Rhysand. Your friend's poison is gone. The wings on the other, I'm afraid, are a bit of a mess." That was when Eve truly saw Azriel and Cassian' state and let out a whimper. Not them too, please no. She prayed.

Slowly, getting up, she went to where Tamlin stood- from what she had gathered, he knew the whereabouts of Ianthe. Eve wasn't thinking clearly, she just wanted to get near Ianthe and Tamlin was the fastest option at the moment and so, she would go with him, even if he was her enemy now. This was why the Cauldron had let her live.

She kept quiet as she silently went near him, the entire crowd's attention snagged by whatever game Rhysand and Feyre were playing. Only Lucien gave her a curious look but wasn't able to question anything as Mor winnowed to where he was and pushed him away.

Mor winnowed to where Eve had been standing with the sisters a few moments ago. She looked to where Eve now stood, her eyes wide but not being able to do anything except grab the sisters with her two hands and winnow away; the guilt of leaving Eve behind played with her mind.

Rhys soon followed Mor, taking Az and Cass with him. The king bellowed in fury. Eve ignored him as she looked at Feyre. Clearly, they were following her plan.

Feyre saw her and nodded. Cauldron, Eve looked so wane. Her body was still shivering and so, so pale and bloodied. Mor wasn't able to take Eve with her, and she knew Mor felt guilty about that. Feyre promised to take care of Eve there and then. She then turned towards Tamlin, "take me home. Let Eve come with us and take me home."

And with that, Eve unwillingly took Lucien's hand as they winnowed away. To the enemy lines.

*****

Az hated himself at the moment. There was a gaping hole in his chest (literally) and he had been unable to help Eve. The moments were blurred together. Eve entering the room all bloodied and tear-streaked, Eve shouting at the King, Eve going into the Cauldron and coming back seizuring. Eve, his Eve losing her best friend. When did things go so downhill? She was supposed to be safe. His Eve.

He groaned as someone started healing him. Eve left behind with Feyre. He tried saying something but black coloured his vision and oblivion came. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author