Chapter 1~ Marry Me

"This cannot be happening." Ziva said as she sat down on her couch. She stared down at the papers in her hand. "This cannot be real."

Her phone buzzed. Tony.

"Hello?"

"Are you almost ready?" He asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You said you needed a ride in today."

"I did? Oh! Yes, I did." Ziva said. "Are you here already?"

"Yeah, Zi. I've been here for five minutes."

"Tony, I am so sorry. Something came in the mail today and it got me sidetracked. Give me ten minutes."

"Everything okay?" He asked in a concerned tone.

"Yes. Its fine. I'll see you soon."

Ziva hung up the phone and sprinted for her room.

.......

"No mom. I haven't found a woman yet." Tony said into the phone as he waited for Ziva outside her apartment. His mother had called him right after Ziva hung up.

"Anthony, when are you going to bring someone home? Your grandmother wants to meet the woman you're going to marry before she passes."

"I know mom." Tony said. "But there's just no one right now."

"So, you aren't bringing anyone to your grandmother's birthday party this weekend?"

"Not as of now."

"Anthony," she started.

"Good morning, Tony." Ziva said as she slid into the passenger seat.

"Anthony who is that?" She said after she heard Ziva's voice.

"Hey." He said to Ziva. "It's nothing Mom. Listen, I gotta go. Talk to you later. Love you."

He hung up and tossed his phone in the center console.

"Your mother?" Ziva asked.

"Yeah." He answered. He picked up a coffee from the cup holder. "Got you this."

"Why thank you." Ziva said as she accepted the drink. She raised the cup to her lips but then stopped. "Wait you made sure to get the-"

"Decaf latte with non-fat soy milk with one pump of vanilla and one pump sugar free caramel." Tony answered. "I remember."

Ziva smiled appreciatively. "Thank you. So, what is your mother harassing you about this time?"

"I'm sorry?" He asked.

"Forgive me for being blunt, but it seems that whenever you mention your mother she is going after you for something." Ziva explained as she sipped her coffee.

"Getting after." Tony corrected. "And yeah, I guess you're right."

Ziva looked at him for a minute waiting for him to continue. "Well?"

"She wants me to bring a woman to my grandmother's birthday party this weekend." Tony admitted.

"So?" Ziva asked. "You have no shortage of luck with women, Tony. Why is this a problem?"

"Because my grandmother wants to meet the woman I'm going to marry before she...you know."

"I see." Ziva paused and thought a moment. "So why do you not just bring someone and say she is the one?"

"Because then whoever the woman is will get the wrong idea." Tony said. "And I could never lie to my grandmother. Especially about her apparent dying wish."