Chapter 7

Negative

Gulf let out a long deep sigh before tossing the pregnancy test stick into the dustbin under the sink. He tried to ignore the feeling of disappointment tugging on his heart as it was not the first time he had tried to pee on the stick in the past two months. He honestly has stopped counting after the first month of trying.

Why was it suddenly hard for him to conceive again?

"Gulf! Are you okay in there?" Mew's raspy voice could be heard from outside, together with the knocking on the bathroom door. The man might notice his absence from their room for quite some time this morning.

Gulf did not reply but opened the door and immediately hugged the dominant, his face buried in Mew's broad chest. It took no longer than a minute for Mew's hands to stroke Gulf's back softly in an attempt to calm the love of his life down. No question and answer were needed; Mew instantly knew the reason behind Gulf's behaviour as soon as his eyes landed on the dustbin under the sink. The white stick in the dustbin has explained it enough.

"It's okay, tua-eng. We can always try again," Mew said before landing a few kisses on top of Gulf's head. He knew Gulf had been stressing over that matter for the past few weeks. Despite this, the latter tried to hide the anxiousness that was slowly killing him; however, Mew managed to notice. The said man would keep trying to use the pregnancy test stick at least once per week.

It obviously broke his heart to see Gulf's gloomy face every time the result turned out to be negative.

They stayed like that for a couple of minutes before Gulf pulled away. "Sorry," Gulf muttered under his breath.

"It's okay, Bii. Feels better now?" Mew asked softly while caressing Gulf's head.

Gulf nodded his head with a thin smile on his face just to assure the man standing across from him that he was indeed feeling much better now.

"Now, you go shower. I'll make breakfast for us."

***

"Mild, it's negative again."

"Gulf, you already know at this rate you won't get pregnant," Mild on the other side replied.

Gulf sighed before slumping himself on the couch.

"You're too stressed about getting pregnant. Relax your mind a bit, Gulf. Let nature do its work," Mild continued.

"You know I can't just act normal when my son is dying," his voice sounds so frustrated.

"I know, Gulf. I know, but stressing over it too much won't help either. If you really want to get pregnant, please, get enough rest. When I said to get enough rest, I mean mentally and physically," Mild tried to assure his friend.

"Or, you come here. Let's do a full check-up on you and Mew," Mild suggested.

"I'll talk to Mew first and let you know."

***

"Looking good," the ob-gyn with Wanarat Wong on his nametag said, hands clenched together on the table.

"Both fertility test results show that both of you are healthy. I don't see any problem here."

A long sigh left his mouth as he stared at the two grown men sitting in front of him.

"Based on your history, the last conception was eight years ago. Mind telling me more about it?"

"Yes. Some things happened, and we were apart. It has been a few months since we were together again, and now we are trying for a baby," Mew explained.

"Alright, I see. I'll set you up for another check-up two months from now. For the time being, I'll prescribe you medications to stimulate ovulation first. Then, we will opt for another option if it still doesn't work."

Once the doctor was done prescribing the medicine, they both left the room to find Mild already waiting for them outside, sitting on the chair clutching his phone in his hand while his free hand waved at them once their eyes met.

"How was it?" Mild immediately threw the question that had been inside his mind; both grown men already expected the doctor would ask them regarding the consultation.

"Nothing wrong with us. Maybe we need to wait a little bit more," Gulf forced a small smile while answering after he settled himself down beside Mild.

"I know you're tired of hearing this, but your body needs rest, Gulf. Give them a break. Don't beat yourself for not getting pregnant yet," Mild repeated the same advice he has been giving for the past few weeks, and to be honest, Gulf has slowly started to lose his patience for hearing that for the nth time.

"I remember last time it wasn't this hard," Gulf argued.

"And you were not in a stressful condition, remember?"

"I know Liam's condition isn't going to wait forever, but Gulf, forcing yourself to get pregnant soon is not going to help. Your body would not cooperate if you are in a stressful condition," the doctor tried to remind his friend again.

Mew slowly puts his hand on Gulf's to calm the man down.

"Mew, you should play a role by talking and listening to Gulf's struggles. It will help ease your partner's mental and emotional toll." Mild now shifted his focus to the dominant standing in front of them, do not bother to sit down.

Mew nodded with eyes on his partner still.