Sixteen.

I couldn't handle the tension as I walked through the castle, even with Max at my side. I was waiting to hear her voice, or to see her and I felt like I would just shatter on the spot. Luckily, we made it all the way to my room and I collapsed on the chaise. I faintly heard Dru and Max whispering and then I heard the door open and close. Soon enough, Max was kneeling in front of me, gently tucking my hair behind my ear.

"What the hell happened?"

"Well, to start at the beginning, I talked to Arya about the letter."

"And?"

"She said it was her mother's, but I didn't want her confirmation to be the nail in the coffin, you know? So I asked about Captain Hall and she told me he was still around, so I went and talked to him."

"You did what? Why? Without me? Do you know how dangerous that was?"

"It was fine, Max. I think he's been waiting for someone to ask about it. He told me everything. He even lost his son because of what he did. And yes, he did confirm that he sunk the ship on the orders of the Queen. He feels horrible."

"My mother... hold on. You've suspected my mother of this the whole time?"

"Not the whole time... Okay, maybe the whole time. I just haven't trusted her since the moment I met her. Something felt off."

"So, you suspected my mother killed my father and you're just now telling me?"

"Maybe I should've told you, but–"

"No, there isn't a but."

"Max, just listen to me for a second."

He huffed and stood up, crossing his arms. "Fine."

"I should've told you, and I would've, but how could I put that on you when you just found out your father didn't die in an accident? You wouldn't have listened to me, and you know it. It'd be like losing another parent."

"How can you even be sure Hall is telling you the truth?"

"There isn't a reason to lie. He incriminated himself."

"Maybe he just wanted a scapegoat. Wanted someone else to take the bigger fall."

"And wrote a letter to himself? In the exact handwriting of your mother? Then hid it in the castle's library where anyone could've found it?"

"Exactly! Why hide it here?"

"He probably wanted to distance himself as much as he could, so he left it here. And the only people that have enough power to take down the Queen are also in the castle, so..."

"Why kill my... my father?"

"She wants to rule."

"Then why would she offer to step down once I got married?"

"Please, she knew you wouldn't get married. Not to Karina anyway."

"None of this makes any sense. I need to go talk to her."

I jumped up and grabbed his hand. "No, don't. Look, when she arrested me, I was coming back to warn you about her. She'll do anything to hang on to the power she has, and if you go now she could do something to hurt you."

"She wouldn't hurt me."

"She would, Max. She would. Look at what she did to your father, and that hasn't affected her in the slightest. You need to stay away from her. We need to get out of here."

"What about Arya?"

"She can come with us."

He sighed and placed his hand over mine. "The first ball of the season is tonight. We'll go and show my mother that she can't intimidate us, then in the morning, we'll make our way back to Zena."