Seven.

Every nerve in my body was awake and stressed as we rode along the beach. There was absolutely nobody here, which gave me very eery vibes. Grant explained that their ports were further north to keep away from the strong tides of the waterfall–which is gorgeous–but it didn't do anything to relax me.

"Are you sure she's here?" I asked him.

"I'm very sure."

"How, though? You never told me how you know about Zena or how you know she's here."

"I came to see her after my father passed."

"But how did you know she was here?"

"There's a village not far from here that's very familiar with her. They only send those that they believe are genuine to her."

"Why did you come see her?"

"I wanted her to help make the pain a little more bearable."

"And did she?"

"No."

Okay, well... "Why do you think she'll be willing to help me?"

"This isn't part of life. You aren't supposed to be here."

"That's why she wouldn't help you..."

"She doesn't believe in upsetting the 'natural course' as she put it."

"I'm sorry."

He nodded slightly. "It was probably for the best."

"Would she have helped if you had been like... stabbed or something? Is bleeding to death part of the 'natural course'?"

He finally broke out into a laugh as he shrugged. "I honestly don't know, Aston. Let's hope I never have to find out."

"Definitely."

We came to a stop at the bottom of the cliff, and Grant got off his horse, so I did the same. I didn't follow him when he started walking closer to the waterfall, though.

"Where exactly is she?"

"Behind the water."

"All the time?"

"No, of course not."

"Yeah, because that would be the craziest part about all of this."

He grinned and held his hand out. "Do you trust me?"

I groaned. "Not fair, Aladdin is one of my favorites."

"I'm sorry?"

"Nothing," I said, a small smile on my face as I took his hand. "The horses will be okay, right?"

"I promise."

I didn't think his smile could get any bigger, but it did when he heard my relieved sigh.

He led me closer to the wall and I watched as he stepped onto a small edge. I'm torn between wishing I would've done rock climbing, and also being thankful that I didn't. It was slightly terrifying, then borderline crippling when I saw the opening to a cave about eight feet above my head.

"Grant... I don't know if I can do this."

"Look at me, Aston."

I squeezed my eyes closed and shook my head. "No, I can't."

"Aston."

"I really don't–"

"Aston."

His stern tone made me look at him. "You survived meeting my mother, you can do anything."